BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I own a S1000rr 2017 and recently been having troubles with metal clunking noise when on neutral. Just when you pull the clutch the noise disappears. It has really started to bother me. Has anyone found a fix to this problem yet ?

·
Vendor
3,945 Posts
If you do a search of this forum you will find there are hundreds of threads and posts about anything from loose springs, to loose basket nuts. Just investigate the issue yourself starting with the inspection of the clutch plates and basket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you,
Yes it's an unending thread. Atleast 6reasons has been given out to this issue but not sure which one would actually fix it. Anyways gonna inspect it myself. Also do let me know if you come across anything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine was the drive gear rivets were loose from the basket, they create just enough play so it "clunks".

Got the basket re manufactured, quiet as a mouse now.

Beware that all baskets have loose springs, they DO NOT CREATE THE NOISE. When the rivets get loose, it will very soon wear the complete clutch to toast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You faced the same issues ?
Mine was the drive gear rivets were loose from the basket, they create just enough play so it "clunks".

Got the basket re manufactured, quiet as a mouse now.

Beware that all baskets have loose springs, they DO NOT CREATE THE NOISE. When the rivets get loose, it will very soon wear the complete clutch to toast.
Did you face a similar issue on neutral? I can never leave my bike on neutral cause I can feel the metal clunks on handle bar

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, it clunked real bad on neutral.

But best to take your clutch out and see whats what. And while you are in there, make sure the adjustable pushrod end has not spun loose, i took mine apart and it was way loose, so loose that it had damaged the threads quite bad, and i had to change that too.

For some strange reason, the clunking clutch is a bit of a problem with the S1000RR, and some other bikes too of course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it clunked real bad on neutral.

But best to take your clutch out and see whats what. And while you are in there, make sure the adjustable pushrod end has not spun loose, i took mine apart and it was way loose, so loose that it had grinded the threads quite bad, and i had to change that too.

For some strange reason, the clunking clutch is a bit of a problem with the S1000RR, and some other bikes too of course.
Thanks Mate,

Will have a look at this and check if this is the issue with mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do a search of this forum you will find there are hundreds of threads and posts about anything from loose springs, to loose basket nuts. Just investigate the issue yourself starting with the inspection of the clutch plates and basket.
Hey can the GS-911 point out this issue ? If yes please let me know

·
Vendor
3,945 Posts
Hey can the GS-911 point out this issue ? If yes please let me know
Not really. You are dealing with a hardware issue in the clutch basket / transmission area. There is no electronics involved that can point to this issue of problem or no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts