BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the SW / Arizona folks. Anybody have a good line on an insurance provider that is not totaling 3k a year! I have my 2015 s1krr and a 2013 cbr500r.

Insurance rates seem to be a bit mental out here. anybody have names of providers that are more reasonable?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
damn nothing, nada, zip, zilch, squat. Yall telling me you ride with no insurance? All I needed was names of providers.

ended up going back with my arch nemesis progressive since they had the best rates around that I could find.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I live in Massachusetts so anything I would have told you is useless. What I've found here - most companies are very close in premiums. What makes a difference is the coverage you elect - the amount of those coverages - your driving record - what town you live in - live in Boston the rates are twice as high as a town in Western Mass.

I carry high coverage - low deductibles - am an old man with a good driving record - live in a small town. And every year when I put the bikes asleep for the winter I strip the coverage down to the absolute lowest - just fire and theft. I keep one bike fully insured because typically I will ride year round.

My 2016 RR runs me about $450.00 but remember 4 or 5 months of the year it's parked. Now I also only track the bike - in fact the day after I bought it was the last time it was ever street legal.

I have the bike insured for everything - my insurance company pays if I have an accident on track - plus I have fire and theft. I also have something called forgiveness insurance - so if I have an accident or crash - no points and no deductible.

I feel I get a good value of protection for relatively low premium.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Of potential interest:

"arizona, 2014 s1000rr, state farm - full coverage (250/500/100 liability, comp, collision, 250/500/100 underinsured motorist, 250/500/100 uninsured motorist) = $1100/year." Click

There is no easy solution. Start making calls, visit independent brokers, etc.

Age, location, record, and credit rating are all major factors.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I have a question for the SW / Arizona folks. Anybody have a good line on an insurance provider that is not totaling 3k a year! I have my 2015 s1krr and a 2013 cbr500r.

Insurance rates seem to be a bit mental out here. anybody have names of providers that are more reasonable?

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude...I didn't respond initially because I couldn't get over the shock, you didn't look into this 12+ months ago, BEFORE moving across the country.

Both @BruceV and @Elk are right on the money, there are faaaaaaaaaaaaar too many variables to consider, that drive your rates. One more thing that I don't think I read in those guys' posts are whether or not those two bikes are garaged?

I'm sorry you find yourself in an unforseen "gotcha moment" but as you have mentioned in the past, you need not forget what you are learning, adapt - and move on.

Here's a little tidbit that MIGHT, help...give yourself 12 months of grief paying $250/month for insurance, WITHOUT missing any payments on ANY of your lines of credit you might have open.

Not knowing or trying to "get in your business" if you sought/applied, for many different options as far as housing is concerned ORRRRR if you opened any other NEW line of credit, your credit score most definitely sank, and could be the culprit, in addition to (possibly) not having secured garage parking, ORRRR the ZIP code you chose to live in, all could have conspired to "surprise" you.

Remember "this too shall pass" as long as you learn to perform due diligence.

:wink2:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Massachusetts so anything I would have told you is useless. What I've found here - most companies are very close in premiums. What makes a difference is the coverage you elect - the amount of those coverages - your driving record - what town you live in - live in Boston the rates are twice as high as a town in Western Mass.

I carry high coverage - low deductibles - am an old man with a good driving record - live in a small town. And every year when I put the bikes asleep for the winter I strip the coverage down to the absolute lowest - just fire and theft. I keep one bike fully insured because typically I will ride year round.

My 2016 RR runs me about $450.00 but remember 4 or 5 months of the year it's parked. Now I also only track the bike - in fact the day after I bought it was the last time it was ever street legal.

I have the bike insured for everything - my insurance company pays if I have an accident on track - plus I have fire and theft. I also have something called forgiveness insurance - so if I have an accident or crash - no points and no deductible.

I feel I get a good value of protection for relatively low premium.
Of potential interest:

"arizona, 2014 s1000rr, state farm - full coverage (250/500/100 liability, comp, collision, 250/500/100 underinsured motorist, 250/500/100 uninsured motorist) = $1100/year." Click

There is no easy solution. Start making calls, visit independent brokers, etc.

Age, location, record, and credit rating are all major factors.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude...I didn't respond initially because I couldn't get over the shock, you didn't look into this 12+ months ago, BEFORE moving across the country.

Both @BruceV and @Elk are right on the money, there are faaaaaaaaaaaaar too many variables to consider, that drive your rates. One more thing that I don't think I read in those guys' posts are whether or not those two bikes are garaged?

I'm sorry you find yourself in an unforseen "gotcha moment" but as you have mentioned in the past, you need not forget what you are learning, adapt - and move on.

Here's a little tidbit that MIGHT, help...give yourself 12 months of grief paying $250/month for insurance, WITHOUT missing any payments on ANY of your lines of credit you might have open.

Not knowing or trying to "get in your business" if you sought/applied, for many different options as far as housing is concerned ORRRRR if you opened any other NEW line of credit, your credit score most definitely sank, and could be the culprit, in addition to (possibly) not having secured garage parking, ORRRR the ZIP code you chose to live in, all could have conspired to "surprise" you.

Remember "this too shall pass" as long as you learn to perform due diligence.

:wink2:
hahahah thanks for the replies guys. My bad I had a sensitive moment and wanted replies. I should have "more clearly" stated I was simply looking for names of insurance companies. I could only remember so many of the top of my head and the interweb is not always easy to get DEEP into. You type motorcycle insurance on google and pretty much most popular / sponsored / ads show up. and clicking through twenty links was a bummer.
@5150 Pops thanks, but put your lesson beater stick away. I did damn near 100% check up before the move, yeah life's not perfect and I could have researched some more but eventually you just gotta pull the trigger. We got a house with attached garage/door. LOL as far as my credit......... I like to brag. Thats been 800+ for years. Sometimes you can find good insurance coverage with no name and or "specialized" insurance providers. an aside to what I told you, I'm fixing the bike partially to riding quality the rest will have to wait. The "company" is gonna take 30-45 days to decide what they think of the lawyers letter, so I'm assuming by mid April this saga will end or continue. Ball is in their court.

Progressive through usaa ended up giving me $1788 for 12 months with something like 50/100/25 liability and 25/50/20 unins/underins and full coverage on the rest comp,coll,fire,theft etc.

Thanks for the link @Elk. Yeah I'm not in his circumstance were I can get an umbrella policy/home and auto.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
In Kentucky, since I have a health insurance coverage through work, I was able to drop the medical coverage off of my State Farm policy for the bike, which saved me over $300

I've since switched from State Farm to Liberty Mutual, the bike is a little more, but everything else is so much less, it more than offsets it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in Cali, I'm paying around $105 per month for just 2 bikes (RR & R6) with Geico but that's also because I'm only 20 years old so I'm considered 'danger' :D :)
WOW that's not bad at all! I'm paying 149 a month and thats for a cbr500r and an S1krr and I'm 33!

as long as you've got the right coverage and that's how your numbers come out enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
$6000/year or $500/month in northern California for comp / coll 100/300/100 $2000 deductible. My history is, um, not perfect lol
Wow that is steep to say the least - so much so I would gamble and just get compulsory. Bank the money you are spending every month with a little luck in a few years your have the price of the bike in the bank account and now you can be self insured.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Wow that is steep to say the least - so much so I would gamble and just get compulsory. Bank the money you are spending every month with a little luck in a few years your have the price of the bike in the bank account and now you can be self insured.
My post may have been a bit disingenuous...that was the lowest I was quoted last November. Instead of paying the insurance company $6000 this year I told my wife I would save money and converted the bike to race for $10000. Somehow the numbers aren’t working out...:surprise:>:)

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
My post may have been a bit disingenuous...that was the lowest I was quoted last November. Instead of paying the insurance company $6000 this year I told my wife I would save money and converted the bike to race for $10000. Somehow the numbers aren’t working out...:surprise:>:)
That seems okay to me.:)

My two track bikes are insured - I travel enough that theft is for sure worth it and my insurance company will cover a get off. In fact I have something called accident forgiveness - if I have an accident no points and no deductible the first time.

Because I live here in the northeast - the track bikes get parked for 5 months - those months I reduce all the coverage and remove collision - so it ends up costing me for both bikes on an annual basis about $750.00

1 - 15 of 15 Posts