BMW S1000RR Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

Registered
I've always run the chin wind curtain that Shoei includes with every helmet. I never noticed a difference in noise with or without, the only reason I use them is it seems to help keep flying road grit from getting up into the helmet and into my eyes.

Well, there's this too, but, I'm seriously doubting these do anything, honestly. You're moving a big, un-aerodynamic ball thru the airstream, one that has vents and other edges to catch air and cause turbulence. I think you can cut the noise a little, but, it's never going to be quiet.
The Original Quiet Rider Helmet Skirt - Reduce Helmet Noise & Increase Comfort | eBay

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
This is very interesting. I have experimented, while riding, to place my open palm under the chin bar and block the air from getting into the helmet, and can definitely feel a difference. I was even contemplating fabricating a deflector of windproof material.

So this Windjammer works, yeah?
Yeah that windjammer is the only thing that I鈥檝e found works for my ears. It鈥檚 a night and day, immediate difference you can notice. I also always wear 32db foam plugs. The windjammer is great, i used it for years on my old helmet and I forgot I had an extra one I just found in a box.

I鈥檝e tried custom molded earplugs, they were the worst and didn鈥檛 do anything for me. I鈥檝e tried those rubber reusable earplugs, they Still let noisein and hurt my ears.

Registered
Yeah that windjammer is the only thing that I鈥檝e found works for my ears. It鈥檚 a night and day, immediate difference you can notice. I also always wear 32db foam plugs. The windjammer is great, i used it for years on my old helmet and I forgot I had an extra one I just found in a box.

I鈥檝e tried custom molded earplugs, they were the worst and didn鈥檛 do anything for me. I鈥檝e tried those rubber reusable earplugs, they Still let noisein and hurt my ears.
Nice. Thanks! I will give it a try.

Registered
What鈥檚 a quiet sport helmet? I know the Schuberth is the quietest but I don鈥檛 want modular. Guy at CycleGear said lighter helmets (carbon fiber) are louder. Is that true? I have a Shark Spartan Shesster GT and the buffeting is insane. I ride with foam earplugs and the helmet screams in the wind at 100mph. I used to think it was a windshield issue on my Ducati Multistrada but I don鈥檛 think so. Guy at CycleGear tried to sell me a Shoei RF1400.
Hi,

In my experience, get a helmet that fits great( that you like) and then get a pair of custom made earplugs. Can't go wrong 馃憣

41 - 44 of 44 Posts