BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s a quiet sport helmet? I know the Schuberth is the quietest but I don’t want modular. Guy at CycleGear said lighter helmets (carbon fiber) are louder. Is that true? I have a Shark Spartan Shesster GT and the buffeting is insane. I ride with foam earplugs and the helmet screams in the wind at 100mph. I used to think it was a windshield issue on my Ducati Multistrada but I don’t think so. Guy at CycleGear tried to sell me a Shoei RF1400.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Consider the Schuberth R2 Carbon. Full face, non-modular. Quiet. One of my helmets is an R1 and it is excellent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don’t know, never tried Schuberth. It’s definitely quieter than my Scorpion & HJC lids though. Wouldn’t use anything else for the track or street.

You should really be looking at what fits your head best (shape). Can always use ear plugs.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I also have 2 x14. They are not really quiet but built for good air flow and being in the tuck position. Great helmets - solid build quality, light, easy to clean and maintain, and plethora of accessories and shields to choose from.

High quality ear buds is how I protect my hearing from wind noise. I have tried many of them and they all seem to last a few months.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also have 2 x14. They are not really quiet but built for good air flow and being in the tuck position. Great helmets - solid build quality, light, easy to clean and maintain, and plethora of accessories and shields to choose from.

High quality ear buds is how I protect my hearing from wind noise. I have tried many of them and they all seem to last a few months.

I’ve been using these but I don’t think I’m putting them in deep enough as the wind still makes my ears howl. What do you use?

·
Registered
480 Posts
X-14 is quiet for a sport helmet. Not nearly quiet as my Schubert C3 Pro. The Schubert is very warm, minimal ventilation; it is my winter helmet.

I never, ever, ride without earplugs. Today I was doing triple digits with my X-14 with Cardo intercom, while doing my Spanish (audiobook) lesson. No problems with noise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
X-14 is quiet for a sport helmet. Not nearly quiet as my Schubert C3 Pro. The Schubert is very warm, minimal ventilation; it is my winter helmet.

I never, ever, ride without earplugs. Today I was doing triple digits with my X-14 with Cardo intercom, while doing my Spanish (audiobook) lesson. No problems with noise.
I’m getting conflicting reports online that modular helmets are quieter than full face helmets, and viceversa. Modular due to the neck roll being tighter, and full face due to, well, the full face. I’m looking at one of the many full face Schuberth helmets, the r2 enforcer, r2 carbon, and s2 sport. I will buy whatever helmet, even if it’s modular, gets the best consensus on noise reduction

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I’m getting conflicting reports online that modular helmets are quieter than full face helmets, and viceversa. Modular due to the neck roll being tighter, and full face due to, well, the full face. I’m looking at one of the many full face Schuberth helmets, the r2 enforcer, r2 carbon, and s2 sport. I will buy whatever helmet, even if it’s modular, gets the best consensus on noise reduction
I looked at modular helmets, and almost bought one, but I could not find any study showing that the chinbar was as strong as a non-modular helmet. Further, in what I saw from the design, from a strength and stiffness standpoint the one-piece helmets are much stronger and safer in that regard. There just wasn't any comparison. The latch was 2 little metal pins for the locking mechanism, that's it. That was enough to make me get the X-Fourteen instead of the Shoei or Schuberth modular helmets.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Schuberth C3 Pro then. It is unbeatable for noise reduction.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts

I’ve been using these but I don’t think I’m putting them in deep enough as the wind still makes my ears howl. What do you use?
Many eargasm earbuds later, I switched to nonoise and haven’t looked back.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
450 Posts
I looked at modular helmets, and almost bought one, but I could not find any study showing that the chinbar was as strong as a non-modular helmet. Further, in what I saw from the design, from a strength and stiffness standpoint the one-piece helmets are much stronger and safer in that regard. There just wasn't any comparison. The latch was 2 little metal pins for the locking mechanism, that's it. That was enough to make me get the X-Fourteen instead of the Shoei or Schuberth modular helmets.
There is a reason why Snell will not certify a modular helmet even though many owners have been asking for it. From Snell's perspective, the best/safest helmets for the track are one piece. Like you said the joint/pivot point of a modular helmet is a weak point. At the same time, I don't remember ever hearing a modular helmet failing as a result of an involuntary dismount. Maybe somebody can share an experience of modular helmet failing.

In terms of noise, I own both a modular (Schuberth C3Pro), which I use with a 1200GS and a one piece (AGV K6), which I use with my S1kRR. In my experience I find the AGV to be quieter than the Schuberth. Regardless of helmet, I wear ear plugs.

·
Registered
823 Posts
These guys provide some noise analysis in their helmet reviews:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
At the same time, I don't remember ever hearing a modular helmet failing as a result of an involuntary dismount. Maybe somebody can share an experience of modular helmet failing.
They're not allowed in racing, so, that says a lot to me. It's not so much a dismount that's an issue. In a straight get-off you don't often hit your face on the pavement (I did though), but what happens many times in a t-bone accident where a cager pulls left out in front of you (most common accident if I remember), is that our face/lower jaw contacts the roof of the car. That happened to my buddy and he broke his C1, another vertebrae in his neck and 2 in his lower back, broke his nose, chipped a couple teeth and put them thru his lip, but his Arai saved his life. While a modular helmet would be nice for getting a drink at a stop, or (at my old job) showing my face at the guard shack, to me, the lack of structural integrity was the show-stopper for me. I know they COULD make it just as strong as a one-piece, BUT, it would be a LOT heavier and more complicated, and expensive.

I've actually never worn earplugs except for shooting. For all the decades I rode before listening to music, I just never did, and now earplugs are pointless with the earbuds I used to wear and now my in-helmet speakers. Too bad my Cardo doesn't have "noise-cancelling" tech. Ah well. BUT, as part of my last job, I had an EXTREMELY thorough physical, where they also did an extensive hearing test. And, from what the Dr. told me, especially when I described decades of loud motorcycles, guns, and music, my hearing is good for my age. He said all of that hasn't appeared to have done any damage. Yay! I have lost some hearing in the very upper range, but he said that's normal for us "older" folks, he saw nothing to indicate any damage. My friends who worked on oil drilling rigs even WITH hearing protection have severe hearing damage.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
450 Posts
They're not allowed in racing, so, that says a lot to me. It's not so much a dismount that's an issue. In a straight get-off you don't often hit your face on the pavement (I did though), but what happens many times in a t-bone accident where a cager pulls left out in front of you (most common accident if I remember), is that our face/lower jaw contacts the roof of the car. That happened to my buddy and he broke his C1, another vertebrae in his neck and 2 in his lower back, broke his nose, chipped a couple teeth and put them thru his lip, but his Arai saved his life. While a modular helmet would be nice for getting a drink at a stop, or (at my old job) showing my face at the guard shack, to me, the lack of structural integrity was the show-stopper for me. I know they COULD make it just as strong as a one-piece, BUT, it would be a LOT heavier and more complicated, and expensive.

I've actually never worn earplugs except for shooting. For all the decades I rode before listening to music, I just never did, and now earplugs are pointless with the earbuds I used to wear and now my in-helmet speakers. Too bad my Cardo doesn't have "noise-cancelling" tech. Ah well. BUT, as part of my last job, I had an EXTREMELY thorough physical, where they also did an extensive hearing test. And, from what the Dr. told me, especially when I described decades of loud motorcycles, guns, and music, my hearing is good for my age. He said all of that hasn't appeared to have done any damage. Yay! I have lost some hearing in the very upper range, but he said that's normal for us "older" folks, he saw nothing to indicate any damage. My friends who worked on oil drilling rigs even WITH hearing protection have severe hearing damage.
Agree with most of what you are saying. Technically, I also would prefer a full helmet. Originally, ended up getting a modular helmet simply because I could not get my glasses to go in (I can't wear contacts). The legs of my glasses were too flexible and it was like trying to push spaghetti noodles into the helmet. Fortunately, I have not tested the helmet's efficacy. These days helmet manufacturers make the neck area so tight (for noise reduction), I have a hard time trying to get a helmet to slide over my oversized melon. I used to love Shoei helmets, but for the most part I can't get them over my head. The AGV K6 does fit (although I have to smack/push down hard on the top of the helmet for it to slide down my head), but trying to get my glasses on is still a bit of an adventure.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts