BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I've been riding all these years, and just now found what I'd been wanting to find or make, for years: A thin, warm weather neck tube.

Many years ago to keep your neck warm in icy weather, they had "Throat Coats", which velcro'd to the side of the bottom opening of the helmet, and you'd tuck it into your jacket AFTER you did your chinstrap...because if you tucked it in first, you had to fix it....don't ask how I know. They actually worked pretty well, but were a tad cumbersome. But over the years, the collars of the jackets got taller, and warmer, and I stopped riding in 20deg weather, so, didn't really use one any more.

Cut to recent years, and I didn't want one for cold, but wanted a really thin one because after a long day of riding in the heat, my neck was getting chafed from the chinstrap and from the collar of my leathers or jacket. Much worse on my multi-day long sport-touring jaunts (2,700+ miles in a long weekend etc.). So, I was wondering about the solution, and didn't want a balaclava (made my head sweat and made my helmet too tight, especially since they're typically thicker for cold weather. Then, while trying to find MX boots for my ADV bike, I saw lightweight "neck tubes" advertised on the a-stars site. BOOM! Ordered 2, and wore one on my last 2 rides this weekend, lasting most of each day on the road and in the dirt, and man, NIGHT vs day difference! I'm hooked, and going to order a couple more.

Maybe I'm just a moron and didn't know there was such a thing and what it was called, but if you too are a moron (...you KNOW you are! LOL) and had the same chafing, get yourself a couple. Your neck will thank you!
Neck Tube | Alpinestars
AXIAL Base Neck Tube - RevZilla

If you have a business, you can even get one with a company or racing team logo on it!
Multiple Use Breathable and Lightweight Neck Tubes (Custom Logo) - Industrial Safety Products

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
BMW give them away free down here with every bike, well I got one anyway...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BMW give them away free down here with every bike, well I got one anyway...
When I'm wearing the team Motorrad button-down shirt I made the dealer throw in as swag, if asked if I have a BMW M/C, I tell people I bought a $20k shirt, and they threw in a free motorcycle...

·
Vendor
3,781 Posts
My neighbor knitted me a neck tube and I love it. She had noticed I had a blue one that didnt match my leathers so she knitted me a red one that better matches.

Reactions: ZZZ

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been wearing 'neck tubes' for 20+years for the exact same reason - chaffing(anti).
See, I think y'all in different parts of the world were way ahead of us on this one, at least for warm weather. The only ones I ever saw here until recently were for cold weather. I recently got 2 IOM neck tubes for cold weather, but they're way to thick for the heat here. Glad I found these summer ones! Hell, I can probably use it year 'round here since I don't ride in anything below 40deg F anyway.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
During a Virginia to Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota July ride, we were feeling the effects of hypothermia in near freezing temps in Yellowstone NP and we were headed toward colder temps on Beartooth Pass. We stopped at a visitor center/outdoor store in the park and I bought two things that I still use to this day: One was a thin Buff Multifunction Headwear, aka neck tube, with a Yellowstone NP pic printed on it. Later, I added a Buff Polar MFH to my kit that has a fleece bottom sewn on to a thin polyester top; I use that for extreme cold weather riding. In case you didn't know it, these neck tubes/gaiters can be worn many different ways (How to Wear) greatly simplifying my packing list for headwear.

Incidentally, the other thing that I bought that I still use was a pair of Darn Tough Merino Wool socks; their socks have an unconditional lifetime guarantee (Darn Tough Vermont - Merino Wool Socks Guaranteed for Life). I liked them so much that I have since gone 100% Darn Tough in my sock drawer: I use Hunter Over-the-Calf Heavyweight Hunting Sock - Full Cushion for cold weather riding and Hiker Boot Sock Full Cushion for every day riding. Before I bought my first pair, I had a decades old they-itch-type-allergy that stopped me from wearing anything wool; it turned out that high quality merino wool doesn't itch at all for me. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
During a Virginia to Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota July ride, we were feeling the effects of hypothermia in near freezing temps in Yellowstone NP and we were headed toward colder temps on Beartooth Pass. We stopped at a visitor center/outdoor store in the park and I bought two things that I still use to this day: One was a thin Buff Multifunction Headwear, aka neck tube, with a Yellowstone NP pic printed on it. Later, I added a Buff Polar MFH to my kit that has a fleece bottom sewn on to a thin polyester top; I use that for extreme cold weather riding. In case you didn't know it, these neck tubes/gaiters can be worn many different ways (How to Wear) greatly simplifying my packing list for headwear.

Incidentally, the other thing that I bought that I still use was a pair of Darn Tough Merino Wool socks; their socks have an unconditional lifetime guarantee (Darn Tough Vermont - Merino Wool Socks Guaranteed for Life). I liked them so much that I have since gone 100% Darn Tough in my sock drawer: I use Hunter Over-the-Calf Heavyweight Hunting Sock - Full Cushion for cold weather riding and Hiker Boot Sock Full Cushion for every day riding. Before I bought my first pair, I had a decades old they-itch-type-allergy that stopped me from wearing anything wool; it turned out that high quality merino wool doesn't itch at all for me. Go figure.
Yeah, it's amazing how such a simple piece of gear can be so good and make riding so much nicer. I have a couple now for cold riding (IOM TT), glad I found some thin ones for warm weather riding!

I went over Beartooth North into Red Lodge from Denver on my way to Spokane in 2013 to visit my best friend, it's an awesome route.
IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I also tried Aerostich's silk scarf, also intended to solve neck discomfort, but I was never able to make it work for me. Perhaps I needed a different mount for that...

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I can't believe I've been riding all these years, and just now found what I'd been wanting to find or make, for years: A thin, warm weather neck tube.

Many years ago to keep your neck warm in icy weather, they had "Throat Coats", which velcro'd to the side of the bottom opening of the helmet, and you'd tuck it into your jacket AFTER you did your chinstrap...because if you tucked it in first, you had to fix it....don't ask how I know. They actually worked pretty well, but were a tad cumbersome. But over the years, the collars of the jackets got taller, and warmer, and I stopped riding in 20deg weather, so, didn't really use one any more.

Cut to recent years, and I didn't want one for cold, but wanted a really thin one because after a long day of riding in the heat, my neck was getting chafed from the chinstrap and from the collar of my leathers or jacket. Much worse on my multi-day long sport-touring jaunts (2,700+ miles in a long weekend etc.). So, I was wondering about the solution, and didn't want a balaclava (made my head sweat and made my helmet too tight, especially since they're typically thicker for cold weather. Then, while trying to find MX boots for my ADV bike, I saw lightweight "neck tubes" advertised on the a-stars site. BOOM! Ordered 2, and wore one on my last 2 rides this weekend, lasting most of each day on the road and in the dirt, and man, NIGHT vs day difference! I'm hooked, and going to order a couple more.

Maybe I'm just a moron and didn't know there was such a thing and what it was called, but if you too are a moron (...you KNOW you are! LOL) and had the same chafing, get yourself a couple. Your neck will thank you!
Neck Tube | Alpinestars
AXIAL Base Neck Tube - RevZilla

If you have a business, you can even get one with a company or racing team logo on it!
Multiple Use Breathable and Lightweight Neck Tubes (Custom Logo) - Industrial Safety Products
Been wearing neck gaiters for years. Have several Buffs and some promo BMW ones and they’re all fine but synthetic. My favorite is from Icebreakers made of Merino wool. Don’t let the word wool scare you. Merino is soft, not itchy, and they won’t get smelly when sweaty. Very breathable, not hot in the summer, and comfy when the weather is cold. Miracle fabric IMO. What the heck, billions of sheep can’t be wrong.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been wearing neck gaiters for years. Have several Buffs and some promo BMW ones and they’re all fine but synthetic. My favorite is from Icebreakers made of Merino wool. Don’t let the word wool scare you. Merino is soft, not itchy, and they won’t get smelly when sweaty. Very breathable, not hot in the summer, and comfy when the weather is cold. Miracle fabric IMO. What the heck, billions of sheep can’t be wrong.
Man, I'm TOTALLY late to this party I guess... LOL

"Buffs", as in CU Buffs? Man, are they still stuck in a never-ending streak of dismal seasons? Lost interest years ago. Sad.

I've heard of Merino wool, can't say that I've ever seen or felt it, I'll give it a look, thanks!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
BMW makes a lightweight silk balaclava which I wear on every ride, along with a lightweight neck gaiter. If it's 95 degrees it can get a little warm, but the benefit of these together is a quieter ride and a clean helmet interior.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BMW makes a lightweight silk balaclava which I wear on every ride, along with a lightweight neck gaiter. If it's 95 degrees it can get a little warm, but the benefit of these together is a quieter ride and a clean helmet interior.
Tried one once, didn't really like the balaclava thing, but the neck tube REALLY makes riding a lot less painful on my neck.

·
Administrator
7,708 Posts
I started wearing neck gaiters to stop my getting black from all day commuting road grime 20 years ago. :eek: I switch between the fleece type for cold weather & the synthetic variety for hot weather.

In 100° + weather I soak the synthetic in ice water before taking off & with the wind hitting it, it acts like a swamp cooler & keeps me comfortable for 45 min or so. If the temps are below 95° ish & I soak in ice water it gives me a brain freeze so I use plain water!

Recently I spent some time in the high desert area were temps got down to 28° not inc wind chill! I'd use a fleece neck gaitor with a plastic bag over it. Had all the vents in my helmet taped up & at 70mph in 28° ish weather felt nothing! (y)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started wearing neck gaiters to stop my getting black from all day commuting road grime 20 years ago. :eek: I switch between the fleece type for cold weather & the synthetic variety for hot weather.

In 100° + weather I soak the synthetic in ice water before taking off & with the wind hitting it, it acts like a swamp cooler & keeps me comfortable for 45 min or so. If the temps are below 95° ish & I soak in ice water it gives me a brain freeze so I use plain water!

Recently I spent some time in the high desert area were temps got down to 28° not inc wind chill! I'd use a fleece neck gaitor with a plastic bag over it. Had all the vents in my helmet taped up & at 70mph in 28° ish weather felt nothing! (y)
I lived in the SoCal high desert, Ridgecrest CA, for 11 years, and started my riding "career" there in '82. Where were you, up Barstow way, Kernville, or on the way to Mammoth...? Kinda late in the season for that kind of cold. CO, yes (it can snow in August in the mtn's!), SoCal, it's a little surprising.

Coming from CO to there I was surprised at how cold it can get without the cloud cover and moisture in the air keeping the heat in. It never got as brutally cold as I've seen in OH, CO, and ID, at AMBIENT 25deg F+ BELOW for a week or more, but, it still got pretty cold sometimes in winter. I remember riding in the teens because I didn't own a car. Thankfully town was small and I didn't have to ride far. Back then M/C tires turned to stone in the cold, like riding on race take-offs in the cold. Todays tires are SO much better, especially in that regard.

I swear by the neck tubes now, I can't imagine riding without. I have a heavier Isle of Man one I'll probably use when it gets cold. For now, the thin ones work great. It's amazing how such a simple thing can make riding so much less painful!

·
Administrator
7,708 Posts
I had to go over the Cojon pass to Hesperia & back 2X a day. I prayed for snow or rain as I knew there wouldn't be any black ice! Couldn't have made it without the fleece neck gaitors. I became a master at bundling up! Lol. For the 1st time I saw the little snow flake symbol on my dash & thought WTF is that untill I looked in the owners manual! Lol...

Ive been wearing my neck gaitor on a daily basis during the past year. Doubles as a face mask in case.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had to go over the Cojon pass to Hesperia & back 2X a day. I prayed for snow or rain as I knew there wouldn't be any black ice! Couldn't have made it without the fleece neck gaitors. I became a master at bundling up! Lol. For the 1st time I saw the little snow flake symbol on my dash & thought WTF is that untill I looked in the owners manual! Lol...

Ive been wearing my neck gaitor on a daily basis during the past year. Doubles as a face mask in case.
I want over Cojon pass a zillion times in the mid-'80's, heading from R/C to Fontana to visit my girlfriend every weekend. That pass can get pretty ugly at times. I never had a car back then, so it was always a trip on the motorcycle, often in FREEZING weather. Black ice was always a problem in the high desert. It hardly rained, but, you'd get a thin layer of frost at night. Makes things spicy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts