BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Europe they have Isle of Mann and North Ireland Road Racing. In Asia they have the Macau GP. In the US we have the questionable Pikes Peak and the now extinct Donner Paved Hill Climb.

Here is a footage of my paved hill climb race. This event is one that will forever remember as one of the best racing experience I've ever done. The place was chuck full of motorcycle racing including a Hill Climb, Trials, SuperMoto, and of course the timed paved road course (CA version of Isle of Mann) from Donner Lake below then to climb up to about 1300' elevation.

My race bike was unavailable for the event thus I had to use my street 99 R-Sexy in stock form. Considering the altitude that I work with and the having a non-FI bike I still did fairly well with a 8th Place in the SuperSport Class and 50 out of 100 riders. Enjoy.

Yours truly starts from frame 6:50

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it was somewhat of a hush hush event as it was so packed. This was like the Maverick Surfing Comp minus the media attention.

It was cool that CHP was all into the paved hill climb but my favorite part of the race was watching the Trials competition. It was a :surprise: I wanted one so bad at that time and I still do but not as much.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
...so, did you have a "Donner Party" up at the top after the race? :)

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I'm sure it was lawyers that put and end to stuff like this. Pikes Peak is still around. They actually allowed motorcycles last year. :grin2:
I'd actually LOVE to do Pikes Peak now that it's paved to the top. I'd do it on my street-legal 'RR just for fun. I LOVE riding "street", and I think it would be an awesome experience, and to see what it would do in street trim/tune. Unfortunately, my friend who races says it's gotten pretty expensive, so, being jobless again and all....

Sigh, maybe some year soon......

Looks like a fun race you had though brotha! I'm all Peanut Butter and Jealousy.... :)

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd actually LOVE to do Pikes Peak now that it's paved to the top. I'd do it on my street-legal 'RR just for fun. I LOVE riding "street", and I think it would be an awesome experience, and to see what it would do in street trim/tune. Unfortunately, my friend who races says it's gotten pretty expensive, so, being jobless again and all....

Sigh, maybe some year soon......

Looks like a fun race you had though brotha! I'm all Peanut Butter and Jealousy.... :)
Yup and especially the stupid rules they tack on only for sport bikes is really really stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure it was lawyers that put and end to stuff like this. Pikes Peak is still around. They actually allowed motorcycles last year. :grin2:
From what I understand the owner of Donner Ski Ranch, who was the host and organizer of Donner Paved Hill Climb, sold the ski resort and the new owner didn't want to do anything with motorcycle.

And for Pikes Peak drama I've heard that they do allow motorcycles to race BUT the BS rules is that sport bikes are not allowed to have clip-ons as a way to discourage sport bikes altogether.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts