BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd put a thread together on my experience with aftermarket plastics.

I bought a 2016 S1000RR Premium in Oct 2016, specifically to replace my trackbike that blew a motor (07 GSXR 1K). Rather than the effort and expense of full-on race plastics, I went looking for aftermarket ABS. I wanted a race nose, a street lower (so I can continue to use the kickstand), and a race tail (but still use OEM seat).

After quite a bit of searching and emails, I settled on a set from iFairings.com. While they make mostly street replica plastics, I chose them for the following reasons:

- Communicated very well and eager to help customize (email pics of paint scheme).
- Willing to cover headlights (race nose) and tail light.
- Reasonable price ($719 To my door)
- WILLING TO MAKE INDIVIDUAL REPLACEMENT PARTS if I crash (which was most important to me).

I went for the WSB Paint scheme, and asked them to customize a few things with the lettering (replace Italia with "USA", etc.)

They communicated very well with me, and in about 3 weeks they shipped; 10 days later my plastics arrived.

Parts included:
- Nose (with headlight delete)
- Front fender
- Front Air Scoop (black)
- Upper and lower side panels
- Tank Cover and Tank side panels
- Tail (race tail with seat deleted)
- Undertail
- Windscreen (Clear)
- Seatback piece (black)
- A bolt kit. They were all HEX bolts and did not have the varying head sizes, so I elected to use the OEM bolts, and their fasteners - all worked just fine.

SHIPPING: It all arrived in one well-packed box; all parts were carefully wrapped in packing foam. They sent me the smoke windscreen by mistake, and one of the tabs on the tank cover was broken. I contacted them by email immediately, and they made me another tank cover and sent me the clear windscreen AT THEIR EXPENSE. GOOD customer service!

FIT AND FINISH:
I would give them an A on Finish and a A- on Fit. No, the finish is not 100% OEM quality, but it's as good as any custom paint job out there. The graphics THEY put on (I put some on AFTER I got them) are underneath the clearcoat so can't be altered. They missed a spot when they weeded the vinyl, but you'd have to be looking hard to notice. Paint looks awesome close up for the price paid.

I had a fit issue with the undertail. Remember, they customized this job for me, so this is a OEM tail but with the tail lights deleted (and rounded off). There is a small gap between the black haircell ABS undertail and the painted rounded tail tip. I tried filling the gap with black silicone, but didn't work out like I hoped..I'm still working on fixing that (you will see it in the pics). But all the other parts fit just fine. I had to make a few adjustments in fitting the tail (because you can't get to two bolts because there is no seat cover to remove) but everything, once together, seems to be plenty strong enough for riding. All bets would be off on crashing, because they are going to explode just like the OEM ABS plastics - which is why I asked in advance if they would make individual parts if I could send them pics of the paint. I sent feedback to them about the tail in the hope they'd be able to correct that in the future.

I also had a fit issue with their seatback (the little black piece on the tail); it used all screws instead of the Screw/lip combo of the OEM seat. I had to use some extra screws and drill thru the seat in the right places for install (no big deal).

Since i removed the headlights, and still used the OEM parts, I used some zipties to gently hold the nose pieces together; once mounted they seem to fit and be plenty solid. You will see a pic of that.

I'm in that business, so I made and applied the additional graphics on top of the gelcoat, which I can replace when needed.

All in all, I'm VERY satisfied with the result. Pics are below. I'd be glad to answer anyone's individual questions.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Postimage.org is what I used before. I've got to go get my daughter, and when I get home I'll clean this up.

I'll ask everyone to delete their posts about not seeing them in order to clean up the thread...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Watch out for your right mid fairing to start curling where it meets the belly pan at the front of the bike near the radiator hose. And since you're using their belly pan, watch for it to start curling as well.

2 different e-bay China fairings have done this. I put some heat shielding on my second set, but they still curled. I should have probably gotten thicker foam backed heat shielding.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have reloaded the images and they are working from my wife's account so I think you can see them now. Would you guys that posted above about the image problems go back and delete your post so it will clean up the thread please?

Thanks for advice about heat distortion. They sent some shielding material with the parts, and I had some more...i put a boatload of shielding down there anywhere near the exhaust, and I'll put some more by the radiator hose, but I guess we will see what happens..

Here are more pics...

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Is it the angle of the sun?
Or did you paint your wheels a lighter color than black?
Or are you using the bronz-ish wheels from a few years back?

Still looks great.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it the angle of the sun?
Or did you paint your wheels a lighter color than black?
Or are you using the bronz-ish wheels from a few years back?

Still looks great.
Good catch. Those are an older set of wheels (I got them off Pimped C6).. I took those really expensive HP wheels off and will use them for my rain tires in the hopes of not tearing them up...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts