BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Southwest Folks,

We will be moving from California to Scottsdale AZ next week; having lived most of my life in California, even though we have family in Arizona, I have no idea what to expect riding wise. Our son lives in Flagstaff, so I'm looking forward to the ride up through Sedona and Prescott areas to take the long way up to Flag.

I have researched the area some, but would very much like to find out more about good roads, ADV riding, and local trackdays. Also, if you are familiar with some ride meetups, I'd very much appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Aron

·
4,640 Posts
Side question: What made you pick Scottsdale in AZ? Is not it gonna be too hot for you? Nothing beats Calif weather.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true! Aging family really, and also extended family, we miss everyone during the holidays. Big change as I'll miss the amazing norcal roads, but hoping to find some new roads and appreciate the dry heat:wink2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Aron, welcome to AZ!

If you do a lot of in town riding, you will be a bit disappointed at first as the roads here are mostly straight and flat. I moved here from upstate NY and really missed the elevation changes and the winding roads. However, if you are willing to ride a little to get places, there are countless areas that are worth the ride. Prescott, Payson, Sedona, Mt Lemon, etc.

As for track days, I am a coach for Desert Road Racing. We average about 1 track day a month, minus the hot months, June, July and most of August. We go to Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP), Inde Motorsports Ranch (Wilcox, AZ) and a couple of tracks at Wildhorse Pass Raceway. Rumors are swirling that we may have a couple of new facilities in the near future. There is another group that does track days, but as far as I know, they only go to AMP. Plus it is just a bit of a drive to go to Chuckwalla, or Vegas. I am planning on doing a track day at COTA in Austin, as well.

There are several meetup groups online. One place most have in common is the Pavilions in Scottsdale. It takes place every Saturday night and will have a wide variety of bikes each week. A couple of guys and myself are there most weeks. There are some that only show up every so often, when their particular group/club is going or they just happen to go that week. You never know what may show up there each week!

Hope that answers your questions a little bit. Let me know if you have any others and I will be happy to help and look forward to meeting you.

Chris....

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you Chris! Fortunately I do not do a lot of town riding, but do have some time available during weekdays and hit the twisties here at least once or twice a week. And since I have to ride at least 30-60min to find them here, I noticed it'll take about +/- 45min to reach some of the roads you mentioned on the map.

Doing trackdays once a month sounds amazing since we live 30 minutes from AMP. I will be commuting to SoCal to teach some total control courses, our focus is mainly on rider safety, but there is a track module as well. There maybe opportunity to do a trackday either at Chuckwalla, or for a longer drive (or ride) at Buttonwillow (great track) while working in the area.

COTA sounds like an amazing track, I went there in 2016 to watch a race, and always felt it was the right track for the S1000rr, but could be wrong here lol. I'll pm you my number and follow up once we are settled.

Thank you again for the amazing info!

Aron

·
Registered
12 Posts
No problem, Aron. I have raced at Buttonwillow and know it very well. It's a fun track. However, I think COTA will definitely top it! I have been to most of the MotoGP races there and a few F1 races also. I have done a few spirited "parade" laps around it on a Ducati, but look forward to getting the S1000RR out there at pace.

Also, one thing to note, AMP does have sound restrictions, so you will need a db killer or something quiet to pass the sound meters.

Let me know if you need anything else. Hope your move goes well.

Chris....

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m PHX you doing any riding?
I know it’s getting hot that just means we head north!
Yeah, actually just did the Prescott-Jerome-Pine-Payson back to Phoenix loop this past Friday. Met up at 101/17 and headed out at 8am, weather was around 84ish +/- most of the way until reaching the lower elevations after Payson, but still very manageable. I may head back up this week, send me a pm if interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts