BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Moving to Santa Fe NM end of July 2018

I'll be moving to Santa Fe for work the end of July 2018. I'll be there about 6 months while my house is being built in Northern Rio Rancho (just South of 550 and North of 347) then I'll move down to R/R and commute up.

From what I see, there isn't nearly as many canyon roads as we have here in CO, but, I'll have to make do.....and just ride to Durango often enough and the back way thru Jemez springs to Los Alamos (beautiful, and fun-looking once you get out of rez-land...). I plan on getting a KTM 790 Adventure R when they become available so I can do long-distance ADV-touring in addition to the Sport-touring I've been doing for years. The area looks great for that and for riding my old '91 KX500 that I haven't ridden near enough since I left the SoCal high desert in '91.

Hopefully I'll run across some like-minded riders down there. I'll miss my beloved CO, but I'm looking forward to some new adventures!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Glad to hear the move to Santa Fe isn't permanent. You wouldn't be happy there. It's the Austin of NM. :laugh: Congrats on the new job and house. :smile2:

·
4,640 Posts
You wouldn't be happy there. It's the Austin of NM. :laugh: Congrats on the new job and house. :smile2:
What's wrong with Austin? It's the best city in TX. And it has COTA 0:)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Glad to hear the move to Santa Fe isn't permanent. You wouldn't be happy there. It's the Austin of NM. :laugh: Congrats on the new job and house. :smile2:
Hah! Yeah, let's just call it the blue spot in a red state. But, if I can tolerate them here in Boulder CO, I can tolerate them (for a time) there. R/R is supposed to be SO much nicer, though it'll be a longer drive to work.

Austin is another blue spot in a red state, so.... ;) And from people I know that have been to Laguna and COTA, the atmosphere/scenery/roads in Laguna (Monterey) are WAY better. I've only been to Laguna (many times), but not Austin/COTA yet. Wish MotoGP still went to Laguna......

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck buddy. Keep us in the loop.
Thanks bro! I look at it as the start of a new adventure. FINALLY going to have a job I can count on, the last one I'll ever need until retirement.

Been looking on Google maps, and I found what look like some awesome roads in Southern CO that I didn't even know about or hadn't heard about. You can't streetview them so I assumed they were dirt as are most roads like that......but in zooming in they're actually paved all the way! So, maybe I won't have as many right within a short distance, but, I'll find 'em!

It'll take about 6mo to build my house, but then if any of my friends here are in the area, stop on by! The house will have a HUGE (29' 6" wide by 24' 8" deep) 3-car garage (2-car bay and separate 1-car bay for the bikes). :)

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Well congrats on the new place and new job! The garage at the new place sounds FANTASTIC! Tis a shame you'll be leaving CO by end of July b/c I'm trying to get the last two weeks of august off to head to CO and meet my dad after a conference he's there for and then do some riding of the area. Would have been nice to have a local guide to find the hidden gems of roads that not many know about. Maybe you can PM me some good roads to ride while in CO. I'll be meeting him in Denver and we'll branch out from there.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I'll be moving to Santa Fe for work the end of July 2018. I'll be there about 6 months while my house is being built in Northern Rio Rancho (just South of 550 and North of 347) then I'll move down to R/R and commute up.

From what I see, there isn't nearly as many canyon roads as we have here in CO, but, I'll have to make do.....and just ride to Durango often enough and the back way thru Jemez springs to Los Alamos (beautiful, and fun-looking once you get out of rez-land...). I plan on getting a KTM 790 Adventure R when they become available so I can do long-distance ADV-touring in addition to the Sport-touring I've been doing for years. The area looks great for that and for riding my old '91 KX500 that I haven't ridden near enough since I left the SoCal high desert in '91.

Hopefully I'll run across some like-minded riders down there. I'll miss my beloved CO, but I'm looking forward to some new adventures!
I'm sure you're going to love the riding season there too vs. CO.

·
Registered
758 Posts
We visited there last year. Wayy too artsy liberal for my taste, but the scenery is beautiful and I'll be there's some great riding to be found. Congrats and good luck!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure you're going to love the riding season there too vs. CO.
Actually, some years here in CO I've been able to ride even in the winter months, except for the last couple years when we've had more snow. Must be all that "global warming".... :) But yup, I think the season will be a little longer/warmer.

I first started riding street in '82 in Ridgecrest CA, in the SoCal desert not far from Rosamond/Willow Springs, so, to me, in just the 4-day weekend I spent in NM for the interview, it reminded me of a cross between that and the CO Western Slope, which I like.

I'm a little spoiled her having SO many great roads at my fingertips, but, I'll just have to ride farther for the good ones now, and they'll be new and not infested with traffic/tourists like all the front range roads in CO are now. And being able to do ADV riding when I get the KTM will be great, as will being able to ride my old KX again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Be sure to ride the enchanted circle around Taos, Angel Fire, Eagle's Nest etc. We're in S NM (Las Cruces) and we get year-round riding down here, but you've got better scenery up there! Rode up your way last year.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I've stayed there for short visits a few years ago, and found the food amazing, hope you like both red and green chilies, as you can probably get it on your cheesecake:surprise:

As for decent riding roads, 84 north up to 96, then 550 south to 4, then head back to 84 was a very nice loop. Traffic was minimal, and roads were in decent condition. I don't think it compares to CO, or CA, but it's not bad for the short duration of your stay. And I like your idea of the KTM, it opens up a whole new make your own road possibility.

I too am very sad about GP not racing at Laguna. It's probably the best track I've ridden, just fun and very technical. I did watch the last gp race there with my son, not the most exciting race, but very enjoyable, not to mention being close up in the cork-screw. They recently rescinded the annoying noise restrictions, I'm still in shock over the move, but here's the article for those interested: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/04/01/laguna-seca-ends-sound-enforcement-regulations-win-win-for-motorcyclists/

Apparently, that was an April Fools article, *&@#!!, nice dream, I fell for it. So sound restrictions still in force. But they will test and work with you to make it happen. Sound deflectors facing away from the sound booth (to your left) will help, so will short-shifting between turns 5 & 6.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well congrats on the new place and new job! The garage at the new place sounds FANTASTIC! Tis a shame you'll be leaving CO by end of July b/c I'm trying to get the last two weeks of august off to head to CO and meet my dad after a conference he's there for and then do some riding of the area. Would have been nice to have a local guide to find the hidden gems of roads that not many know about. Maybe you can PM me some good roads to ride while in CO. I'll be meeting him in Denver and we'll branch out from there.
Bummer! If all this wasn't happening I'd have been happy to show you some roads that would knock your socks off.

I don't post routes on the i-net because of the possibility of squid and/or cop infestation. I prefer to keep them private and give them to friends. So, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my work e-mail with some awesome routes as Google Maps links. :)

Well, if you make it down to NM, be sure to let me know! I already know of on or 2 good roads there!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be sure to ride the enchanted circle around Taos, Angel Fire, Eagle's Nest etc. We're in S NM (Las Cruces) and we get year-round riding down here, but you've got better scenery up there! Rode up your way last year.
I've heard that, and definitely look forward to it, thanks! The ride around the Los Alamos area looks nice.

Well, if you get up to S/F or Rio Rancho about 6+ months from now, let me know! I saw Las Cruces down at the bottom there....looks hot and flat!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've stayed there for short visits a few years ago, and found the food amazing, hope you like both red and green chilies, as you can probably get it on your cheesecake:surprise:

As for decent riding roads, 84 north up to 96, then 550 south to 4, then head back to 84 was a very nice loop. Traffic was minimal, and roads were in decent condition. I don't think it compares to CO, or CA, but it's not bad for the short duration of your stay. And I like your idea of the KTM, it opens up a whole new make your own road possibility.

I too am very sad about GP not racing at Laguna. It's probably the best track I've ridden, just fun and very technical. I did watch the last gp race there with my son, not the most exciting race, but very enjoyable, not to mention being close up in the cork-screw. They recently rescinded the annoying noise restrictions, I'm still in shock over the move, but here's the article for those interested: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/04/01/laguna-seca-ends-sound-enforcement-regulations-win-win-for-motorcyclists/

Apparently, that was an April Fools article, *&@#!!, nice dream, I fell for it. So sound restrictions still in force. But they will test and work with you to make it happen. Sound deflectors facing away from the sound booth (to your left) will help, so will short-shifting between turns 5 & 6.
I think I did some of that, as my friend and I from S/F (and her adorable 6 yr-old daughter) went from Rio Rancho up NW across 550, then up NE thru rez land and the back way to Los Alamos via 4, then drove to S/F for dinner. I kept thinking that would be a nice ride....except you have to drive 35-45mph most of the way thru rez land which puts a damper on things....

I plan on working this last job until retiring in about 14 years, so, I think I'll be doing a lot more riding TO the roads than I had to do here, but, they're within reach of a long weekend, and I haven't ridden them before, so I'm looking forward to it, and doing some ADV touring. I want to go to the Northern tip of Alaska one day, in the dirt as much as I can....and I think that KTM is the bike to do it on.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, after a year and a half I thought I'd bump the thread with updates. First, especially compared to CO, there are WAAAY less twisty roads here, and the few that are here, for the most part, the road surface is beat to sh!t like, well, most of the road surfaces here. The Jemz route mentioned above has some nice turns, but is beat up from the Caldera over the top to Los Alamos. Along the way, the road to Fenton Lake is nice and twisty, with the best pavement around, but it ends at the fish hatchery where is continues but becomes dirt. The short ride from the hwy by Taos to the ski area is really a nice twisty road, but is REALLY beat to sh!t (did I mention that was the norm here?). Recently I found a nice route from Rio Rancho where I live. You have to slab it North on I-25 for a while, but take the 599 exit East to 14 South thru Madrid (cool little town, I haven't stopped but I'm told the food is good at the bar/restaurant) all the way to the back of the Sandias. Nice sweepers and the roads a little bumpy like they didn't flatten the road bed enough, and the pavement is really coarse, but the pavement's not too bad compared to others. At least thare aren't any big craks, potholes, and frost heaves. Then take the 536 from San Antonio up the Sandia Crest which is THE best road I've found here. Great twisties, great pavement, but can be choked with tourists. There's a route from Taos to Red River thru Eagle Nest that I took in the RAV in winter that looks to be a pretty good ride, but the pavement looks a little beat there as well, we'll see what it's like on the bike. In general, I REALLY miss CO, and look to do most of my riding up to Durango and then explore the Western Slope more now that I have the chance. The Million dollar Hwy is actually a little closer to me now than when I was in CO, so that's awesome and I look forward to riding that again. Oh, of note, actually the riding season is shorter her in NM than in CO, believe it or not. In CO they use mag chloride to melt ice, in NM, they friggin' use SALT and ground up (LOL, hardly) pumice and rocks, and like everything else here, they don't maintain anything or clean it off after winter. So, actually, the bike stays in the garage longer here than in CO. Bummer! Well, happy riding to y'all, be safe, and if you're down this way, get a hold of me! Your roving Road Reporter signing off! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, after a year and a half I thought I'd bump the thread with updates. First, especially compared to CO, there are WAAAY less twisty roads here, and the few that are here, for the most part, the road surface is beat to sh!t like, well, most of the road surfaces here. The Jemz route mentioned above has some nice turns, but is beat up from the Caldera over the top to Los Alamos. Along the way, the road to Fenton Lake is nice and twisty, with the best pavement around, but it ends at the fish hatchery where is continues but becomes dirt. The short ride from the hwy by Taos to the ski area is really a nice twisty road, but is REALLY beat to sh!t (did I mention that was the norm here?). Recently I found a nice route from Rio Rancho where I live. You have to slab it North on I-25 for a while, but take the 599 exit East to 14 South thru Madrid (cool little town, I haven't stopped but I'm told the food is good at the bar/restaurant) all the way to the back of the Sandias. Nice sweepers and the roads a little bumpy like they didn't flatten the road bed enough, and the pavement is really coarse, but the pavement's not too bad compared to others. At least thare aren't any big craks, potholes, and frost heaves. Then take the 536 from San Antonio up the Sandia Crest which is THE best road I've found here. Great twisties, great pavement, but can be choked with tourists. There's a route from Taos to Red River thru Eagle Nest that I took in the RAV in winter that looks to be a pretty good ride, but the pavement looks a little beat there as well, we'll see what it's like on the bike. In general, I REALLY miss CO, and look to do most of my riding up to Durango and then explore the Western Slope more now that I have the chance. The Million dollar Hwy is actually a little closer to me now than when I was in CO, so that's awesome and I look forward to riding that again. Oh, of note, actually the riding season is shorter her in NM than in CO, believe it or not. In CO they use mag chloride to melt ice, in NM, they friggin' use SALT and ground up (LOL, hardly) pumice and rocks, and like everything else here, they don't maintain anything or clean it off after winter. So, actually, the bike stays in the garage longer here than in CO. Bummer! Well, happy riding to y'all, be safe, and if you're down this way, get a hold of me! Your roving Road Reporter signing off! :)
I know what you mean when talking about the roads in a lot of NM...I almost moved to Taos last year and during that time noticed that all the routes I saw with good twisty roads were in terrible condition. Even the main commuting roads tended to be in surprisingly bad shape.

I ended up moving to Durango and love some of the mountain roads around here, especially with the lack of tourists right now! If anyone is ever in the area hit me up as I feel like I'm the only BMW sportbike rider between Denver and ABQ...SW CO is definitely a big cruiser area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts