BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, I was not sure where to post this. What stand do you use to work on bike? I am not talking about lifts. I have a limited amount of space and would like to be able to move it around. Thanks

· Registered
2023 S1000RR
25 Posts
Pitbull stands are all MOST people really need. You can do most maintenance/modifications with a front and rear stand. The Bursig as mentioned above is great, but like the Abba, is not cheap, but you can completely disassemble a motorcycle with it. If you want to be able to rolling around a little, the Dynamoto stands are really nice.

· Registered
316 Posts
Pitbull stands are all MOST people really need. You can do most maintenance/modifications with a front and rear stand. The Bursig as mentioned above is great, but like the Abba, is not cheap, but you can completely disassemble a motorcycle with it. If you want to be able to rolling around a little, the Dynamoto stands are really nice.
True but when more is needed. Two Pitbulls/Dynoamoto, etc. for front and back start to approach the cost of a Bursig. Add the Pitbull front fork lift option (do others offer this?) and the difference is even less but still cannot be wheeled around. Then add jack/footpeg stands to work on the rear and the cost is higher than a Bursig.

· Registered
975 Posts
I have a Bursig equivalent and a pneumatic lift (plus a variety of regular stands). The Bursig is great for moving a bike around on smooth, level surfaces, and is great for storing a bike in tight spaces, but it's a bit wobbly and fussy. The penumatic lift is much better for working on a bike, but obviously can't be rolled around the garage with a bike on it.

· Registered
19 Posts
I use an adjustable Woodcraft rear stand and front head lift stand. They've been perfect for everything I've ever needed to do, from routine maintenance to tire changes to my current rebuild. But if you really need something that allows you to move the bike around your garage while it's on the stands, then your best bet is something like Dynamoto stands or a center hydraulic lift like the Abba SkyLift or Max2H EvoLift.

· Registered
2023 S1000RR
25 Posts
True but when more is needed. Two Pitbulls/Dynoamoto, etc. for front and back start to approach the cost of a Bursig. Add the Pitbull front fork lift option (do others offer this?) and the difference is even less but still cannot be wheeled around. Then add jack/footpeg stands to work on the rear and the cost is higher than a Bursig.
A pitbull front and rear can be had for less than $400 on the used market. The only thing I dislike about the Bursig is sometimes it can be finnicky to set-up and only rolls around well on super smooth surfaces. Like somebody mentioned above, it gets wobbly and that's a bit too sketchy and nerve-wrecking for me.

I guess the biggest factor you should look at is how often you need to roll it around and/or are you going to be in situations where you need to completely dismantle a bike. It's not really practical basing a purchase on something that happens 1% of the time or less. It'd be like buying a truck instead of a car for that rare occasion you need to help a friend move furniture.

· Registered
452 Posts
Bursig was just hitting the market when I got into riding. The coverage they had on different bikes was a bit limited at the time. Through various bike acquisitions along with gifting from a friend, I have two Pitbull rear stands and purchased a front triple tree stand. Too bad Pitbull came out with the combo front fork lift/triple tree stand later as mine can't be converted over. But had distribution of Bursig been what it is now and prior to the purchase of my front stand, I probably would have a Bursig. Yes, I've been able to do 99% of all the work I've done on my bikes with the Pitbull stands. But the Bursig sure would have been handy when I did the headers on my RR and was a necessity for a DIY for me when I was staring at doing a rear shock replacement on my old 848.

But with the report of the Bursig being wobbly, maybe I wouldn't attempt the aforementioned jobs.

· Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
852 Posts
I have a Bursig and love it. The bike is stored in a tight spot due to limited space in the garage. The Bursig makes moving the bike in and out of this spot easy peasy. Hooking up the bike to the Bursig can be tricky for me. Ended up getting a Pitfall rear stand to help me out (not everybody has this problem).

· Registered
156 Posts
I have used my Bursig stand for 3 years with no issues. Not sure why the comments about wobble, I've stood/sat on the bike while lifted on the stand numerous times with no problems. Once adjusted to your liking I can get the stand in place and bike lifted in under 15 seconds. Easy maneuverability on garage floor/flat spaces. Depends on your needs I guess but bike can be disassembled to the frame only on a Bursig.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thanks everybody for your advice and comments! Bursig lift is 479 plus 75 shipping plus I have the adaptor from the owner I bought it from. Abba lift is 775 shipped with adaptors. 775 or 554 decisions decisions What to do now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts