16 Andrea Iannone Aprilia Racing – Gresini Aprilia RS-GP 1:55.343
17 Cal Crutchlow LCR Honda CASTROL Honda RC213V 1:55.690
18 Miguel Oliveira Red Bull KTM Tech 3 KTM 1:55.773
19 Aleix Espargaro Aprilia Racing – Gresini Aprilia RS-GP 1:55.814
20 Bradley Smith Aprilia Factory Racing Aprilia RS-GP 1:56.072
21 Karel Abraham Reale Avintia Racing Ducati 1:56.121
22 Johann Zarco Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM 1:56.162
23 Hafizh Syahrin Red Bull KTM Tech 3 KTM 1:56.371

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/maverick-fastest-on-final-night-of-motogp-test-at-qatar-marquez-third-rossi-fourth-lorenzo-fifth/

·
4,589 Posts
Yamahas good in practice until it's race day and 93 shows them how it is done. Gonna be a fun season!

·
Registered
714 Posts
They gave Lorezeno his tank mod in 2 days. Honda is in the business of making sure their riders are happy much more than Ducati who expect people to adapt to their machine

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Im hoping to see Aprilia do better with Iannone and Rossi to not have any issues this season, win his 10th and retire lol ................. that'd be great who knows tho

·
Registered
714 Posts
His bike was way faster than everyone else's and now the bikes are on an even playing field so the better riders can shine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
on a much faster bike!
LOL. In a straight line I'll give you that much. The Honda appears to be better under braking and turn in. And last year they got their problem with acceleration out of corners fixed. And of course they have Marquez who, while not my favorite rider, is talented beyond belief.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What happened to Dovi? That standing does not do justice to the caliber of rider he is.
Clearly he had problems of some sort. Petrucci and Jack Miller did much better.

His bike was way faster than everyone else's and now the bikes are on an even playing field so the better riders can shine.
Is that based on rule changes you read about? I don't remember reading any rule changes that leveled the field. They lost all their advantages a couple years ago because of their results. They used to get to run extra large fuel tanks and a few other things to make them more competitive. Now they have to adhere to the same rules as Honda and Yamaha. Think Suzuki scored well enough to lose their competitive advantages as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can never read much into testing times, some riders push to the limits just for a good time, others are using the time for testing to achieve the best possible outcome when it really matters. It will be an interesting season to see what manufacturer has improved there bike & how the riders they have adapt.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can never read much into testing times, some riders push to the limits just for a good time, others are using the time for testing to achieve the best possible outcome when it really matters. It will be an interesting season to see what manufacturer has improved there bike & how the riders they have adapt.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think it's a safe bet to assume that some people are in essence "holding back" to focus on other aspects of the machine or the track. I just think back to a few races I saw in the past where MM was in first, but it seemed competitive/close until probably around lap 13 where he suddenly gets in to his "zone", picks up his pace and stretches whoever is in second.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think it's a safe bet to assume that some people are in essence "holding back" to focus on other aspects of the machine or the track. I just think back to a few races I saw in the past where MM was in first, but it seemed competitive/close until probably around lap 13 where he suddenly gets in to his "zone", picks up his pace and stretches whoever is in second.
I'm extremely interested in the Honda this year & next to see if Lorenzo input tends to make MM even quicker, Lorenzo is very good at making a bike fast mid corner because it's his preferred style of riding & has always been a Honda weak point. MM for mind is a rider who can adapt to anything but with a bike that isn't just brake/point & shoot under him I feel he will become close to unbeatable.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts