BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been told that it is possible to mix springs on your suspension to give you a desired overall spring rate in the front suspension.

For example. I have Ohlins NIX 30 in the front of my bike and on the compression side I am running a 9.0 spring and in the rebound I am running a 11.5 spring. This will give me an overall spring rate of 10.25.

Now the first question people will ask is why not just buy two 10.0?... Lets say you at the track and dont have two of the same springs, etc?

So my question... Is this recommended as well as, should you do this, does it make a difference which side you put which spring? I know this sounds stupid, but for some reason I am thinking that if I run a track with a lot of right hand corners and I have the heavier spring on the right side that I will run wide because of the spring return rate.... Or will it not make a difference?

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
My understanding is that, since the triples clamp the forks together, they act as a single unit. So, different springs in each fork should work fine and not be affected by which direction you are turning. I think some bikes have compression in one fork and rebound in the other - same idea. Happy to be told I'm wrong and learn something!

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is correct you can blend springs to get the correct weight. On DDC BMW's its way easier to change the right fork leg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts