BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 model with 68,000. outside of normal maintenance ive had to replace the starter switch cluster(warrantied at 23k miles), thermostat(50k), and cush drive rubbers(68k). I also had to solder a capacitor back on the pcb for the dash that broke off and caused the display to work intermittently(55k miles), but i mostly blame that on the garbage roads in here in Illinois. bikes had 3 valve checks and has not needed an adjustment yet. I track it regularly and it still runs amazing. biggest problem im having now is deciding if i want to go for 100,000 or convert it to a track bike and buy something else for the road.

·
Registered
505 Posts
2012 model with 68,000. outside of normal maintenance ive had to replace the starter switch cluster(warrantied at 23k miles), thermostat(50k), and cush drive rubbers(68k). I also had to solder a capacitor back on the pcb for the dash that broke off and caused the display to work intermittently(55k miles), but i mostly blame that on the garbage roads in here in Illinois. bikes had 3 valve checks and has not needed an adjustment yet. I track it regularly and it still runs amazing. biggest problem im having now is deciding if i want to go for 100,000 or convert it to a track bike and buy something else for the road.
Definitely go for the 100,000! I don’t think I’ve seen a s1000rr with that type of mileage. Would definitely be awesome to see. Plus it would be great to know that these motors can live that long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Definitely go for the 100,000! I don’t think I’ve seen a s1000rr with that type of mileage. Would definitely be awesome to see. Plus it would be great to know that these motors can live that long

They can if they're not ridden to top speed runs all the time like you enjoy doing :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
They can if they're not ridden to top speed runs all the time like you enjoy doing :p
Haha. theres probably some truth in that. sometimes its just too hard to control yourself when theres no one around.

Definitely go for the 100,000! I don’t think I’ve seen a s1000rr with that type of mileage. Would definitely be awesome to see. Plus it would be great to know that these motors can live that long.

It would be pretty sweet. I didnt do my first track day til my bike hit 60,000 miles which made me worry about how the motor was doing at 13.5k rpm but so far its happy as clam on the racetrack. I think with these bikes it really comes down to maintenance

·
Registered
505 Posts
Haha. theres probably some truth in that. sometimes its just too hard to control yourself when theres no one around.

It would be pretty sweet. I didnt do my first track day til my bike hit 60,000 miles which made me worry about how the motor was doing at 13.5k rpm but so far its happy as clam on the racetrack. I think with these bikes it really comes down to maintenance
Do it! Yes maintenance goes along way

·
Registered
505 Posts
I’m not THAT BAD. I do cruise back roads a lot too but once I get that frame finisher in and the weather is good I’m gonna be putting some speed runs/ stress on that part to see if it still stay together

·
Registered
688 Posts
I just got my 12k mile service on my 2020 K67. Besides the service, they did the wiring harness recall and a software update. I'm getting the new BT flash tomorrow after sending them the new ECU file today.

So far this bike has been totally problem-free. I had the oil cooler recall done at the 6K service. Maybe I'll have the caliper recall done at 18K.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I just got my 12k mile service on my 2020 K67. Besides the service, they did the wiring harness recall and a software update. I'm getting the new BT flash tomorrow after sending them the new ECU file today.

So far this bike has been totally problem-free. I had the oil cooler recall done at the 6K service. Maybe I'll have the caliper recall done at 18K.
What software version did this put you at?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thank you. Have you noticed any differences?
I notice lots of differences. First there have been three changes: 12000 mile service, full software update, and BrentuningMoto Stage 2.5 flash. My RR M Sport was built in May 2019 and sold to me in Aug 2019 (the delay was due to the early stop sale due to the crankcase drill hole issue).

The service replaced all fluids, spark plugs and other odds and ends. There was also a recall repair to the wiring.

The changes to the Kombi dash are immediately obvious. My main reason to get this was to have Bluetooth working while in RACE PRO modes and IAT temp display.

I am unaware of any updates made to other electronic systems. I got the Torque Optimization flash option, but that was purely to get the full software update free of charge, and it lasted less than one day on the bike because I quickly wrote over it with the BT STG2.5 flash. My previous BT flash was from Aug 2019, so they’ve done lots since.

The first thing I noticed after the flash was the elimination of the high-rpm cat-warming phase of the idle. It now starts smoothly to a normal idle. The garage was pretty cool this morning (about 37F), so it was a true cold start.

The software update wiped out the Bluetooth settings, so I paired my Bluetooth again – Samsung 20 Ultra and Cardo Packtalk Slim. I checked whether the connection persisted when I enabled racetrack setting and put RACE PRO 1 on. It did.

I took a 70 mile ride through some twisties. The bike was definitely smoother and maybe a bit peppier, though I never went full WOT to redline (I rarely do on the street). The mirrors delivered a smoother image than before. I don’t know if this was due to the service (new spark plugs) or the BT update.

I’ll be riding a bunch more this week if the weather holds up. I was about to spend a week on St. John, but one of our party tested CV positive and my wife was briefly with her this morning, so I’m staying away from people just in case. That doesn’t prevent me from riding my RR though.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
The changes to the Kombi dash are immediately obvious. My main reason to get this was to have Bluetooth working while in RACE PRO modes and IAT temp display.
Yep, same reason I got the update in July/Aug 2020. I wanted the IAT as well as the Bluetooth fixes.
I can say with confidence, BT works quite well now.

but that was purely to get the full software update free of charge
That is hella smart :)

BT STG2.5 flash
Oh, I was unaware of their Stage 2.5. Some changes from Stage 3 backported? Any highlights on what the .5 gets you?

The software update wiped out the Bluetooth settings, so I paired my Bluetooth again – Samsung 20 Ultra and Cardo Packtalk Slim. I checked whether the connection persisted when I enabled racetrack setting and put RACE PRO 1 on. It did.
Yep, was excited to see this new behavior as well.

I’ll be riding a bunch more this week if the weather holds up. I was about to spend a week on St. John, but one of our party tested CV positive and my wife was briefly with her this morning, so I’m staying away from people just in case. That doesn’t prevent me from riding my RR though.
I have done so many solo rides on my RR due to COVID! I quite enjoy them.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oh, I was unaware of their Stage 2.5. Some changes from Stage 3 backported? Any highlights on what the .5 gets you?
I'm just going by the name of the file in the handheld. They don't show Stage 3 on their website yet, so my guess is that it is the interim/beta version.

I have done so many solo rides on my RR due to COVID! I quite enjoy them.
The vast majority of my rides are solo. I sometimes run into people and do some riding with them, but am generally wary. Group rides, especially large ones, so often turn into a dangerous shitshow. I often watch motorcycle crash videos, and so many of these occur during group rides due to the psychological dynamics there.

With that said, I do organize extensive tours with like-minded/skilled buddies. We did a great tour of the Alps through five countries a couple of years ago. My 8 days on the S1000XR there made me fall in love with it. Last year was a tour up the southern coast of CA, then over to the Sierras and Sequoia National Forest before finally getting to Willow Springs Raceway for a two-day CSS camp. This year we had a nine-day tour through the Pyrenees planned, starting in Barcelona, going through the northern mountains to the French coast, and then back to Barcelona through the more southern route (30,000+ corners!). But the world closed and so it is rescheduled for this June.

I learned some lessons during the Alps tour that was organized by someone else, who allowed some Harleys in our 11-person group. Every half hour the front group needed to wait about ten minutes for the others. It was a hassle. Then one of the Harleys failed to navigate a low-speed corner going into a town, whereupon he hit a tree and had devastating injuries (life-flighted out with a broken right femur, trashed right knee, and broken left tib/fib, followed by two months in a German hospital). From this I wrested the organization of these upon myself for the purpose of getting riders with higher-level skills and psychological disposition to fun/sporty riding through these epic mountain roads. I also require that the riders take a tune-up camp at CSS or elsewhere prior to it for both safety and fun. I also limit the group size to 6-8.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I often watch motorcycle crash videos, and so many of these occur during group rides due to the psychological dynamics there.
Same. I have kept myself safe thus far by training my brain to expect an accident before it is likely to happen. I tend to ride my cautious as a result, but I am a strong believe of pace through serenity, instead of recklessness.

I learned some lessons during the Alps tour that was organized by someone else, who allowed some Harleys in our 11-person group. Every half hour the front group needed to wait about ten minutes for the others. It was a hassle. Then one of the Harleys failed to navigate a low-speed corner going into a town, whereupon he hit a tree and had devastating injuries (life-flighted out with a broken right femur, trashed right knee, and broken left tib/fib, followed by two months in a German hospital). From this I wrested the organization of these upon myself for the purpose of getting riders with higher-level skills and psychological disposition to fun/sporty riding through these epic mountain roads. I also require that the riders take a tune-up camp at CSS or elsewhere prior to it for both safety and fun. I also limit the group size to 6-8.
Wow! I would so love to participate in something like this. I know the pain of having less skilled riders in a group. The lead group has to constantly wait or else they will fall back too far behind.

PS: Hopefully the Harley rider did not have to shell out a lot of money for the treatment. But yea, 2 months in any hospital is PITA, let alone when you are recovering from a life threatening injuries.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts