BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how many miles you have on your "longer-term ownership" RR. My '17's ODO hit exactly 15,000 miles as I rolled into the garage today after a ride, and the bike just gets better and better. Silky smooth and really a joy to ride in the canyons/mountains. I want to believe this bike will run/perform beautifully for many thousands of additional miles.

I have another bike, so the RR's mileage would likely be much higher if it were my only motorcycle.

Anyway...I'm curious about those who have rolled up a lot of miles on their RR's, and have been through at least one major servicing (like the 18,000 mile)...how's the bike doing? How many miles do you think the RR can accumulate without issue?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
2016 with 40k km. bike is fine.
At 30k the valve check showed 2 shims needed.
Wheel bearings are still ok.
Rear shock is done, have a replacement on the way with only 800km on it.

I'll keep it until I dont :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
My '12 has a little over 18,000 miles on it now. had close to 16,000 miles when i got it this spring. Previous owner just had it serviced saying it was a larger service when I got it and he did it early. had plugs, valve check and shims etc so it looks like a major service. I got all the receipts since new and other than service looks like no repairs. he only rode street and its a track only machine for me so im stressing it a bit more. haha. Ive tracked it a bunch, then let a track buddy take it for a couple sessions when I couldnt go and so far no issues other than a new chain and sprockets, so nothing really. Hoping to get a bunch more fun outta yet!:cool:

·
Vendor
3,374 Posts
If I add up all my miles from 2015, 2018, 2020 I have rode since owning a BMW.. I am at 44,000 BMW happy miles.

2015 24,000 and at this 24000 checked shims, replaced timing chain
2018 10,000 miles but replacement engine on the stand with 3k miles
2020 10,000 miles and still going strong.

Mule test bikes
2014 3k miles
2016 1400 miles
2020 900 miles

Reactions: CYCLE_MONKEY

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Sad to say, that with all my long-term unemployment when I first got my 2015, and recently with left shoulder surgery, I only have about 22,000 miles on it. If I'd have been able to ride more and do my long summer trips I used to do every summer, I'd have another 15,000-20,000 miles on it, easily. Hopefully I can get a little riding in the end of this season, and some next season after I get my right shoulder done in December.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My early production 2010 just turned over 30K miles today at a local track day. This is the 10th year I've been using it for track days, haven't ridden it on the street that much the past three years. Still runs good, been lucky as engine has given me no issues over the past 10 years.

·
Registered
846 Posts
my 2011 is at 30K

·
Registered
83 Posts
awesome thread. Here i was thinking that since I already have 6k miles on my bike this season since ownership (March 2020) that I was riding way too much and needed to spread it out a little more. Great to know these bikes can go over 20 and 30k and still be in great shape.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good stuff...and from the way my '17 is riding, it feels like it's just now (at 15,000 miles) getting broken in. Seriously.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Wow, I guess even with all the issues over the years since I bought it, and really having no place to ride here in NM, I'm not doing as bad as I thought! I've only doe one overnight trip on it, to the Black Canyon in CO, and hope to get to Durango this year on it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts