BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post #7 for install.

Couldn't find a single seller Stateside that had a set. Most had none & had no idea when they would. I found some on eBay from Euro sellers but prices were high & theres always the customs / shipping delays issues. They're going on tomorrow & I'll document milage etc... here. :)
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I have run many sets of M7RR on my S1000(R and XR), really like these tires, and in an effort to get more mileage I have tried a couple sets of Roadtec 01(not the SE). I get around 2200 miles from a M7 rear and around 3300 miles on a front. The Roadtecs gave me some more miles(I can't remember exactly, but only a couple hundred miles more), but at the end of the day it was not a huge improvement and the M7 still worked out cheaper per mile. I will add that I change my own tires so the extra changes I make do not influence the cost. I generally wear the M7 pretty evenly from sidewall to side wall, but the Roadtecs juts wore the edges completely out, they seem more towards the 'touring' side of sport-touring.

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do they relate to the M9 RR? Are the Sportecs more of a Sport Touring type of tire? I too will be interested to see your mileage from them.
I've never tried thoes tires. I've been on sport touring tires for the past 10 or so tire changes. Lest 4 sets were the Road 5s, prior to thoes the Metzeler Roadtec 01 that I got 9K out of & 4 sets of Road 4s prior to that.
Curiously never measured the milage in the Roads but with the every set of the Road 5s I destroyed the fronts with plenty of meat left in the back! I can't figure it out!

The Metzelers are by a country mile a better tire for me.
Fell into corners easier
Predictable
Higher milage
Better handling
0 nails / screws whete the Roadtecks are a nail magnets.
Road them with no issues in rain, 28° - 80° weather, rain & snow.

Road 5s
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Wood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Really liked the 01s (non SE version). Had them on my Tuono for around 3000kms before I sold the bike. Found them great in the wet and pretty confidence inspiring in the dry.
Didn't like the Diablo Rosso Corsa that came with that bike, fucken terrible in the wet.

·
7,485 Posts
How do they relate to the M9 RR? Are the Sportecs more of a Sport Touring type of tire? I too will be interested to see your mileage from them.
Search for threads by me, I reviewed both tires. 01 SE similar grip to M9RR but lasted about 700 miles more. I'm referring to the rear tire, front I race a race DOT tire (K1 metzeler)

Reactions: Baron Samedi

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're on Gentleman:)
You can't beat the feeling of new tires!

Current mileage 100641
Front 32PSI
Rear 41PSI
Bike k1200s
Using 2oz of ceramic balance beeds in both front & rear tires.
I weigh 250lb

I'll update in a few days when scrubbed in with initial impressions.
Old tires pictured are Mitchelin Pilot Road 5s both front & rear brand new mounted at the same time.
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Light Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
46 Posts
Post #7 for install.

Couldn't find a single seller Stateside that had a set. Most had none & had no idea when they would. I found some on eBay from Euro sellers but prices were high & theres always the customs / shipping delays issues. They're going on tomorrow & I'll document milage etc... here. :)
View attachment 223287
Glad you found a set. Spoke with my nephew who’s stationed in Ramstein Germany and he’s stating cargo shipments (sea or air) are not moving and haven’t been for 3 months. Approx 6 months worth of containers just sitting on ships and docks not moving due to strikes, Covid protocols and wage disputes. With Christmas shipping about to hit my be worth while to switch to Dunlops. I think I’ll get a couple of sets of Dunlops before the get swamped with tire orders because non of the European vendors tires will be no longer available. I was told 10 months for back order on Metzler K3 200 series tire.

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love these so far. The steering feels so much lighter. In fact they make the whole bike feel lighter & nimbler. Almost like the bikes had a suspension upgrade! They to have a plush ride but at the same time you feel the road surface if that makes sence. On the freeways it's as smooth as silk though I think the ceramic balance beeds could have something to do with that.

The bike literally falls into corners, so much so the 1st & 2nd time can be unnerving untill you remind yourself youve done this before! It's almost like a hooligan tire making you push harder.

Keeping fingers crossed these characteristics last at least 5k!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Gauge Tachometer

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just over 2000 miles on the tires.
I have EAS suspension on my bike & it's always in comfort mode.
Most of my riding is 70mph cruising & sometimes spirited riding through 20 miles of canyons per day for work. The front tire lost 4psi of air during a 104° day. Not sure what caused it but It's happened to me previously with other bikes / tires on hot days.
I feel no difference in handling since new & maybe the beginnings of flat spots on the front & rear with the naked eye. They track laser straight & offer a cushy ride.
I can't comment to warm up times because I don't push it that hard on streets. They have all the grip I need on the the road & then some. Havn't even come close to loosing it in the canyons. They're predictable & sure footed. I know my days are numbered with handling characteristics & wondering when it'll be.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Grey

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

Kitchen appliance Font Home appliance Gas Wood

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Glad you're happy with them. I'll be putting the same on my bike in a couple weeks. Haven't tried the SE version before.

Currently have the Z8 Interact and they feel like wood. Only 8000kms on them and the front is <1mm from the wear bars.

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not the easiest tires to source Stateside. Hope you don't have too much trouble finding them. I crossed paths with the Metzeler rep at a Motorrad dealership a few months ago that told me he's seen riders get more miles from the heavy weight varieties of the 01s. Didnt elaborate.

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Post #7 in this thread is a pic of my Road 5s. I went through 4 consecutive sets with the fronts wearing 2X as fast as the rears. Never happened to me with any other tires "same roads - same bike"! Additionally I found them to be nail magnets & I watch out for nails.

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm just over 5000 miles gentlemen. That brand new tire handling started to diminish at around 2700. Yesterday for the first time the front tire grabbed a long crack in the road. Due to a dead motor I replaced my ABS module at around 3500 & by coincidence it was raining for 2 consecutive days in LA. Testing the brakes in my very unscientific way I had a surprisingly hard time trying to lock up the front tire in the wet.

The rear tire depth taken at the middle of the flat spots are just over 4mm for the rear & just over 3mm for the front. I commute around 100 miles a day with 22 miles or so of canyons. I keep to the speed limit on public roads but kinda let loose in the canyons when theres no traffic. I know its been said in reviews a million X already but these tires do inspire confidence:) At this rate it looks like I'm going to get 10K + out of these tires:)

These have no right to handle the way they do for the miles I'm getting out of them. I'm very happy with these. Expensive yes but i save tune & $ on tire changes & get great handling & high mileage:) Additionally I'm a heavier rider on a heavy k1200s makes the tire wear more surprising. A Metzeler rep told me that he's heard reports of higher mileage with the "heavy weight" models of the same tire with no handling loss so I'll suppose I'll be trying them at some point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts