BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,
Got started looking at tires, and came across the RoadTec 01 SE as recommended by Metzler for the DoubleR. Interesting I thought, perhaps a great winter tire option? The current set of RaceTec RR K3 have been pretty good, even in wet and cold roads.

Anyone have experience with the RoadTecs? I think that a touring tire would not give up much grip in the cold and wet conditions, and actually be better in the cold!

Any feedback would be appreciated!
  • grip in wet and dry (<40F/5C)
  • concerns with 45* lean on these tires?
  • tire life on higher HP bikes
OR- is going with the SportTec M9RR a better winter option?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I have run many sets of M7RR on both a SingleR and XR, not the power of the RR, but similar kinds of delivery. For me the M7RR is my got to tire(and if as advertised, the M9RR is even better then that would be great). I have also tried a couple pairs of Roadtec 01, not a bad tire, but for me way more towards the touring side than the sport side. This is not necessarily related to grip, but tire wear. If you are more on the sprty side of riding you will wear the sides of these and still have much rubber left in the center(could probably have run another 1k to 1.5k miles on them providing I did not have to turn). I did not get much more mileage(sides worn) out of them compared to the M7RR, but they were quite a bit more expensive. I have also run a couple pairs of Power 5, which are really good tires as well, but the M7RR just felt much better is wet or cold weather.

I would give the M9RR a shot, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Had them on my Tuono. Really good road tyre. Front is noisy at around 60kph, makes a whistling sound with the tread pattern. I'd be happy to run them again though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are good tires but more sport touring than sport. However, they are out of stock in most sizes nationally and have been for months.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Looks like a nice tire...for sport touring. So, I'd say try it if you had a 'R or 'XR, but I wouldn't recommend it for an 'RR. I've been running Metzlers exclusively since the mid-'80's except for the OEM new tires that cam stock on my new '86 GSXR 1100, my '01 GSXR 1000, and my 2015 'RR. I'm currently running probably my 3rd set of the M7's now, and will run the M9's as soon as these wear out. They're not as sticky as the Pirelli Supercorsas that I LOVED that cam on my 2015 as stock tires, but they Metzlers are a LOT cheaper, an a little better in the cold and rain. I think the M9's will be as sticky as you'd ever be able to use on the street (I ran with guys running race takeoffs and while their tires were chewed up mine looked just fine) and still give decent mileage (I get around 4,500miles). I'd say, for you 'RR, give the M9's a try instead.

Best of luck!

Reactions: CzechMate

·
8,846 Posts
I run 01 SE rear (longevity twice as long as M9RR & other sport tires) and a DOT race (Pirelli TD or Metzeler RR K1) front for ultimate grip on my street bikes.
You don't want a 01 SE front for twisties or spirited riding.

Reactions: CzechMate
1 - 9 of 9 Posts