BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These BMW's folks really don't want you to do your own service do they?! Is it me or am I the only one that can't find the Maintenance Intervals and Checklist in the Owner's Manual?! Looked, can't find it. If someone can point me to this info, that'd be great!

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Not trying to be a smart-ass, but for maintenance and service info the Table of Contents in the front and the index in the back of the owner's manual is pretty accurate. :D

For us US boys the Table of Content in the front shows a "Maintenance" chapter (9 - page 103) and a "Service" chapter (12 - page 155).

Page 158 indicates the intervals. In a nutshell, the "Running In" check is done between 300-750 miles, and then they insist on an "annual" service. What they do depends on mileage and what the service light tells them (when it came on). In the Customer Warranty Information booklet (white) there is an Emmission Control Maintenance Schedule for each model that includes intervals for oil, filters, plugs, valve checks.

Whether BMW comes up with a Service Manual and wiring diagrams in paper or DVD form still remains unclear. My parts guy said "no". I think somebody else should ask theirs.

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of those places you quoted do not have anything about the Maintenance Intervals or Checklist... Pg 158 talks about Run-in but not the bike's service schedule/checklist.

Other BMW bikes along w/bikes in general have an actual checklist and a table that would show what gets done and when. I don't plan on taking it in for the routine/simple stuff... just want to see what they recommend needs to be checked/tightened/greased/etc.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually yes they do. Page 158 of the US manual states:

Pretty self explanatory.
Not too clear to me when they say $hit like "depends" (dependent)... if you go on AS Cycles website, you can look at the detailed service intervals and details for all the BMW bikes (except the S1)... that is what I'm looking for. The owner's manual hasn't really said crap about the details...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Most of the services to be completed now are what they refer to as a dynamic service. Where the last time the bike was in for service is inputed and the mileage and the new date that the bike is in for the current service and the mileage it is at currently is inputed. Once these are established it will generate a service list. This should explain why there is not a set check list like with the older models. The wiring diagrams for the S1000RR will most likely not be in paper form. BMW uses what they call SLP. This is the wiring diagram and contains almost all models with the exception of the old boxers and some K bikes. It is user selectable and able to be printed in however many sheets you choose.

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the services to be completed now are what they refer to as a dynamic service. Where the last time the bike was in for service is inputed and the mileage and the new date that the bike is in for the current service and the mileage it is at currently is inputed. Once these are established it will generate a service list. This should explain why there is not a set check list like with the older models. The wiring diagrams for the S1000RR will most likely not be in paper form. BMW uses what they call SLP. This is the wiring diagram and contains almost all models with the exception of the old boxers and some K bikes. It is user selectable and able to be printed in however many sheets you choose.
Hey Marcus, thanks for the helpful insight. Do you have any further insight as to where or if there will ever be something put out that gives more details? I understand what you mentioned about "dynamic service", seems like there can still be some guidelines - it all boils down to "time that's gone by since last service" and "mileage"... unless the computer is adjusting the end result by analyzing "how" the bikes been ridden?!

Anyway, thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
First service at 600 miles: Oil with filter, steering head bearing check/adjust, chain check adjust, and a few other checks.

Service every 6,000 miles: Oil with filter, air filter, chain check/adjust, and the other checks--brake discs, pads, tires, brake fluid levels etc.

18,000 mile service: also check valve clearances, adjustment if necessary.

Annual service: Change brake fluid--at the first year and then every two after that.

Coolant changed every 4 years at minimum. Does not have to be done when the valves are checked like on the K1200 or 13000 bikes--radiator needs to be removed on those models.

Checking the valve clearances doesn't require any special tools but to check the valve timing--timing chain stretches-- there are special tools that allows the techs to adjust the timing into spec or tells them when the chain is too stretched and needs replacement.

The S1000RR is in the newest BMW maintenance disc "RSD" and can be purchased from an authorized dealer--has all the models and is over a hundred bucks I believe.

The electrics are in the ETK disc but the latest version doesn't have the S1000RR on it yet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Jeeeezus Tap-Dancin' Christ! All this "techie" talk is scarin' me!! The first "accessory" I buy for any bike is the Factory Service Manual. The ones for the Japanese bikes are pretty darn good. I change my oil/filter every 3,000miles. I do most "routine" services..brake fluid change, coolant change, etc. The Japanese bikes are all starting to recommend every 6K, but I believe in the old saying, "An ounce of prevention......."

Anyway, sounds like BMW does not have a comprehensive FSM available for the S1000??? Maybe I'm just too old & confused...."Now why did I come into the bathroom :confused:??"

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Jeeeezus Tap-Dancin' Christ! All this "techie" talk is scarin' me!! The first "accessory" I buy for any bike is the Factory Service Manual. The ones for the Japanese bikes are pretty darn good. I change my oil/filter every 3,000miles. I do most "routine" services..brake fluid change, coolant change, etc. The Japanese bikes are all starting to recommend every 6K, but I believe in the old saying, "An ounce of prevention......."

Anyway, sounds like BMW does not have a comprehensive FSM available for the S1000??? Maybe I'm just too old & confused...."Now why did I come into the bathroom :confused:??"
The manual is not in print form but on a DVD. It is the same one the BMW service techs use so it is comprehensive. Up to a total engine rebuild if you like. It will have the new "dynamic service scheduling" for any bike model 2008 or later. You plug in the dates that the bike was purchased, the current date (and mileage), the last service date (with mileage), and the next proposed service date (with mileage). It then suggest maintenance items for the bike and you can select ones that are due soon or deselect ones that you don't wish to perform now that it suggests. It sounds confusing and I may not have explained it very well but I gave it a try. What you pick is then made into a checklist. Each item in the checklist can be clicked to open and it shows exactly how to perform each item. It is pretty good.

One downfall that I don't like is that once you leave that checklist to look something else up it is gone and you have to enter the date/mileage crap again. You get used to it though.

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey viperclaw, is this something the consumer can purchase and install on their computer? Is there a part number?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hey viperclaw, is this something the consumer can purchase and install on their computer? Is there a part number?

Yes you can buy it. I think it is over $100 but has all the new models on it. Order it from a dealership. I don't think they will give you any problems with trying to order it. Dealers are allowed to sell them to the public. There are no "secrets" that they are revealing.

This does not have wiring diagrams or trouble shooting, just maintenance and repair work. For wiring diagrams you need the SLP disc but it is not up to date and does not have the S1000RR on it yet.

The RSD--service data disc--is updated every 3 or 4 months and I am not sure if an updated disc costs the same amount. Changes are usually small ones but keep in mind BMW does change procedures and such in their manuals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
These BMW's folks really don't want you to do your own service do they?! Is it me or am I the only one that can't find the Maintenance Intervals and Checklist in the Owner's Manual?! Looked, can't find it. If someone can point me to this info, that'd be great!

looks like my second service is due, i have racked up 3,500 miles and found this on screen today
My Photo Gallery - OH OH! THIS IS GOING TO COST SERVICE DUE,
i have sent a begging e mail asking if i can reduce costs by changing my own oil and filters!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Im sure my dealer told me at the 600 mile service the next one was due at 6000 miles or 12 months, which ever arrived soonest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I drove the 80 miles to my BMW dealer which just happened to have a dozen kent traffic police biker boys relaxing enjoying nibbles and coffee all resplendant in thier fluro gear. i reconised a couple of the fine gentleman from previous tax collecting episodes! (the hidden camera in an unmarked black fireblade is still my favourite!)

i digress...

Matt at the service desk concurred with my own opinion it should be 1 year 6000 miles... but i'm guessing the ECU formulates.. miles covered v throttle position v engine running time and formulates the "i'm scared your gonna break me..get me serviced quick message!"
the good news is he will allow me to fit my own oil and filters when required and has just sent me the following e mail...(just before i ordered a GS-911 CODE READER/SERVICE RE SET TOOL £225)

Good Afternoon Richard

I have booked you in for 4th October For your recalls.
Your service is'nt due until March 2011 or at 6,000 Miles

Regards

Matt

Matthew Palmer,

BMW Motorrad,
Longfield Road,
Royal Tunbridge Wells,

I'm thinking......

if every time you "give it some welly" it pulls up its skirt and cries to the dealers is it tough enough?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe the date for service wasn't set correctly?
I questioned the service indicator coming on at 3500 miles saying I need a service within 400 miles and contacted BMW UK, this is the reply…

Dear Mr Ryder

Thank you for your email dated September 7, 2010, regarding the servicing of your motorcycle. I am sorry to hear that you have found the service indicator unclear.

Our motorcycles use a technology called condition based servicing, which determines when a service is needed, taking into account the engine revs used, oil levels and wear and tear of individual components . The service indicator will fluctuate until the service is required. If you are a low mileage rider, we would recommend that your vehicle is serviced at no longer than two year intervals or via the mileage readout of the service indicator.

Thank you once again for your email and I hope this information is useful. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW Motorrad UK
Heather Bamforth
Customer Information Executive

1 - 20 of 27 Posts