BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got 2300 miles on my 22' s1000RR and noticed today that my chain is looking a little slack. I haven't bust out the ruler yet, but just by looking at it, it looks almost like the chain is resting on the swingarm frame. Going down the rabbit hole, I've learned a ton about this new fancy chain that came with the bike, and BMW touts it requires minimal maintenance and no adjusting. Is this true? It's lookin a bit slack to me... Thoughts?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Crankset Bicycle tire

·
Vendor
4,858 Posts
I think the maintenance that is referred to is lube. With the typical Oring chain is has always been reduced maintenance, but all steel stress somewhat and will always need adjusting. DID VMx has always been good for me at minimum adjustments compared to the OEM Regina on the 15/16. I had to adjust those alot.

Also when that chain is too loose it will have degraded performance in the Quick Shifting.

Reactions: LordTapatio

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes that's very loose. It's maintence free because the bits that rotate are coating in magic stuff and don't need lubing. The axel isn't maintence free and needs to be moved back.
I think the maintenance that is referred to is lube. With the typical Oring chain is has always been reduced maintenance, but all steel stress somewhat and will always need adjusting. DID VMx has always been good for me at minimum adjustments compared to the OEM Regina on the 15/16. I had to adjust those alot.

Also when that chain is too loose it will have degraded performance in the Quick Shifting.
Darn. In all the articles I read (although dated back to 2020 so there's probably a lot more info now) it was mentioning not needing to adjust tension. I definitely thought it was loose and will tighten it up tonight.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,079 Posts
I have done 15000km on mine and its hardly been adjusted. I have still cleaned and lubed it every now and then. But way less than a normal chain. Its not maintenance free, but low maintenance. If you ride in the rain, it needs to be cleaned and lubed. If you ride in the dry only, you can get away with very little. This is my observation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done 15000km on mine and its hardly been adjusted. I have still cleaned and lubed it every now and then. But way less than a normal chain. Its not maintenance free, but low maintenance. If you ride in the rain, it needs to be cleaned and lubed. If you ride in the dry only, you can get away with very little. This is my observation.
yep, you’re spot on. I got home from work and measured and it shows 1.5 inches, so it actually may be a little tighter than tolerances want. I thought it’d be loose! I thought it was resting on the frame, when in all actuality it had a small gap. I guess I’m fine. Lol

·
Registered
22 S1000RR M
58 Posts
yep, you’re spot on. I got home from work and measured and it shows 1.5 inches, so it actually may be a little tighter than tolerances want. I thought it’d be loose! I thought it was resting on the frame, when in all actuality it had a small gap. I guess I’m fine. Lol
I had the same predicament on my 22. At a glance it looked loose. Using a ruler and a chain tension gauge didn't fully satisfy me as the chainguard has a weird shape and I felt like my measurements were different every time. I went ahead and made a couple turns on the adjuster but I don't think I even made much of a difference. Like you, I think mine was fine. The slack was within the 45-50mm spec.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same predicament on my 22. At a glance it looked loose. Using a ruler and a chain tension gauge didn't fully satisfy me as the chainguard has a weird shape and I felt like my measurements were different every time. I went ahead and made a couple turns on the adjuster but I don't think I even made much of a difference. Like you, I think mine was fine. The slack was within the 45-50mm spec.
yep, you sound exactly like me yesterday! Lol. It looked loose, it measured tight. I don’t trust it and will be adjusting slightly when my new adjusters come in soon!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I second the "way less than a normal chain." I replaced the endurance chain on my XR at 25,789 miles. I lubed it like any other chain until 7,000 miles; after that I lubed it only at service intervals and when it got dirty and had to be cleaned. I kept checking slack quite regularly, but the first time the slack was beyond spec was at 18,000 miles; the second time was at 23,000 miles or so. At 25,793, the chain's 10-link length was beyond spec and there was some kinking (pic below). I replaced it with another endurance chain because of the time and material savings from not having to lube or adjust the chain as much as a non-endurance chain.

Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior Line Bumper

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I second the "way less than a normal chain." I replaced the endurance chain on my XR at 25,789 miles. I lubed it like any other chain until 7,000 miles; after that I lubed it only at service intervals and when it got dirty and had to be cleaned. I kept checking slack quite regularly, but the first time the slack was beyond spec was at 18,000 miles; the second time was at 23,000 miles or so. At 25,793, the chain's 10-link length was beyond spec and there was some kinking (pic below). I replaced it with another endurance chain because of the time and material savings from not having to lube or adjust the chain as much as a non-endurance chain.

View attachment 224265
Love to hear that. Is it just me or is it weird that the top of the chain rests on that chain guard piece? I never noticed it but thought it'd just run the hell out of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts