BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,640 Posts
It's what I have always used. Good stuff.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Mahle is the OE supplier for our bikes as well. They make a quality product.
I'm assuming that's the Mahle that makes very high performance pistons, likely the piston supplier for BMW?

If so, is this filter any better than the stock one which might be made by Mahle? Or is it cheaper since it's not thru BMW?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have been happy with my reusable filter from PC Racing. I bought it for $85 on Amazon in 2013 for my 2013 and have continued to use it with my 2015. Given that I change the oil after every two track weekends, there have been a lot of oil changes. It seems to be holding up. Plus, it means that I have a filter at hand every time I want to change the oil. It is also interesting that the magnet embedded within it always has some superfine metal shavings attached to it. Here is a link to a review. I have no idea whether the source is either knowledgeable or truly independent.

Flo Oil Filter - webBikeWorld

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neat video.

Did he say some of the stuff he took off the drain plug was aluminum? I am no scientist but if it was aluminum wouldn't it not stick to the magnet?

As i thought, "Under normal circumstances, a common magnet does not stick to aluminum. Under the right conditions, however, it is possible to get a strong magnet to interact with aluminum, though never to the extent that it works with ferrous metals."

·
Registered
408 Posts
I get this interesting composite on the magnet in my filter that looks and feels like a fine sludge, but is clearly attracted by a magnetic bond. I imagine that it has a lot of things in it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Neat video.

Did he say some of the stuff he took off the drain plug was aluminum? I am no scientist but if it was aluminum wouldn't it not stick to the magnet?
I can't imagine a magnet in your drain plug would be strong enough to attract aluminum, even one of the plugs with a rare earth magnet. MRI magnetic field strength, yes, magnet, not likely.

What is most likely happening is, that fine particles of aluminum are getting into the sludge that ALSO has ferrous material in it, and it's just going along for the ride because of the sludge's viscosity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts