BMW S1000RR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine was refreshed for 3k euros

I assume he paid 25k just for work hours ? Engine is free under warranty ?

Silly Americans with their unreal life
It's a complete new engine and a new cat (complete exhaust without can).
The engine, cat and work hours would total 25K CHF.

Like I said, I obviously don't have to pay for it, it's covered under warranty.
And Switzerland, not US.

The dealer which also sells Yamaha, provided me with a brand new R1 until the M1000RR is ready again (I prefered the R1 over a S1000RR as I had never tried an R1 before).

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

·
9,135 Posts
The dealer which also sells Yamaha, provided me with a brand new R1 until the M1000RR is ready again (I preferred the R1 over a S1000RR as I had never tried an R1 before).
That's a nice dealership you have!

What are your impressions of 2022 R1 compared to M1000?

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's a nice dealership you have!

What are your impressions of 2022 R1 compared to M1000?
I have only done a few miles… weather is not helping. What I can tell so far: worst brakes I ever experienced in a sports bike - feels like wood.
The riding position of the M1000 is a lot more comfortable.

Other than that I really like the low RPM grunt and how agile the bike feels.

The dash feels dated, but it’s a lot easier to adjust the settings on the fly. Quick shifter works well, but not as good.

Seems like it would be a lot of fun on track. For street, I’d stick with the BMW 100%.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got some news that the new engine (with new pistons) should arrive already next week.
They will exchange the engine and the cat. In total (if I had to pay for it) 25k invoice.

BMW will probably issue a recall some time this year.

Im the first one in switzerland who have new engine with new parts inside, my old engine was burning oil 1000km 1 litre, i have now new engine from bmw, i tested (drive about 1000km) change oil and the bike didn’t move oil, so If you have problem the new engine is top without problems anymore

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,814 Posts

Im the first one in switzerland who have new engine with new parts inside, my old engine was burning oil 1000km 1 litre, i have now new engine from bmw, i tested (drive about 1000km) change oil and the bike didn’t move oil, so If you have problem the new engine is top without problems anymore
It is the BMW way. Deny there is a problem. More people complain. Problem becomes big enough to do something about. Fix problem and deny it was ever a problem. But acknowledge problem is fixed.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

So they have already managed to get a fix in so that the M1krr does not burn oil anymore? I thought it was literally because of the design. Anyone informed wanna take a guess on how they did it so quickly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So they have already managed to get a fix in so that the M1krr does not burn oil anymore? I thought it was literally because of the design. Anyone informed wanna take a guess on how they did it so quickly?

first engine was burning and smoking to much from first kilometres, nowin new engine which bmw confirmed me that is new engine with solved problem and new parts inside ,in 1000km bike didn’t burn oil,because of weather i must wait to add more kilometres too follow the situation.. i think the new engines won’t burn oil,, it will stay to see what will be..

·
Vendor
4,406 Posts
There is always a redesign in the works of anything. While being a 2 ring piston setup, there are ring designs that would say this is for 100% racing ring, and this is for the longer lasting less oil by pass 2nd ring for XYZ replacement of those that put BMW under the investigation of oil use.

So being that BMW is likely more caught up in the M1000 development they can hand select parts and have an engine assembled to be alot more tolerance spec'ed and even a different set of rings.

·
Registered
56 Posts

In which Kanton are you based, and when have you received the engine?
According to my dealer mine was the first. Other engine(s) had been replaced, but still used the same piston and piston rings - not that I care if I was the first or not, just curious since you have even been able to already run the 1.000km despite the shitty weather we have been having lately, so it must have been a few weeks already.

I collected the bike yesterday and drove only 20km (was happy to return the R1). The bike felt good and I had the impression there were more burbles coming from the exhaust.
I’ll be traveling the whole week so no chance to test it in the next days.

The document of the bike will have to be changed and the new engine number will be mentioned. Hopefully this will not affect the value.

·
9,135 Posts
^ 2022 CBR fixes gearing & air intake. Curious to see how M does compared to CRB SP in first WSBK race.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts