BMW S1000RR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
The M revs quicker most likely from different gearing.
It's not just gearing, it's the expensive, lighter internals (again very similar to the CBR and ZX-10RR)
  • RR four-cylinder engine developed for racing purposes on the basis of the RR engine. Even more top performance, higher torque in the mid-range and 500 rpm more maximum speed.
  • Output 156 kW at 14 500 rpm, 4 kW more than in the RR. Maximum torque of 113 Nm at 11000 rpm.
  • New 2-ring forged pistons, each 12 g lighter, adapted combustion chamber and increased compression to 13.5. In addition narrower and lighter finger followers.
  • Fully machined intake ports with new port geometry and BMW ShiftCam technology for varying valve timing and valve lift.
  • Titanium valves, with new spring assembly on the exhaust side, narrower and 6% lighter cam followers and optimized camshafts.
  • Very light, compact basic engine with longer and 85 g lighter titanium connecting rods from Pankl for reduced friction and lower weight.

·
Vendor
4,406 Posts
Since I took my S1000RR K67 and my S1000RR K66 to Nate Kern COTA in September 2021, I can give an even compare of corner exit RPM acceleration of better 'feel good' on the K66. The most noticeable occurrence was , 3rd gear, turn 16 .. just something about my gearing, my corner speed exit, 100% throttle movement made a very distinct difference from the K67 to the K66. And these 2 bikes are geared the same since I do like to compare hardware for hardware with to many variables.

Organism Line Font Circle Pattern

Reactions: Fosters

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most of the time on mine so far the burn off is enough to only create a light oil filming inside the muffler area. The stock Akra muffler really showed this issue alot but the spark muffler I have on there now decease the residual build up and its more just blackish / oily touch.

If you ride the M1000 like it was intended at high RPM's and keep a really good burning fuel in the bike, it will last at least 20000 miles with no issues. If you ride it like commuting to work or coffee stop shopping, you are going to build carbon more based on the oil issue passing the rings than a bad tune in the ECU.

The sole purpose of the 2 ring concept is for less friction, and lighter rotational weight. The 2 ring piston has one compression ring (instead of two) and one oil ring. 2 ring pistons (four stroke) have less drag and can help performance, but, another issue found, some must be replaced more frequently. They do cause less wear on the cylinder too since it has always been found the oil control rings are scrapers and create the wear.

Wisco has been making performance pistons since I can remember building engines back in the 80's. Even in 2 strokes where 2 ring piston was the normal, Wisco made 1 ring pistons for those replacements in the high performance use market.

I am happy to own my M1000RR, but, the way this bike has shown its 'street' issues, I am very happy I also own the S1000RR K67 so I can put more miles on it and less wear and tear of my M1000.
You’re absolutely correct…

The carbon buildup was so bad that it has fucked up the valves on my M1000RR, and BMW will have to replace the whole engine.

In Switzerland however it’s impossible to ride on high RPM’s without getting arrested/bankrupt.

As I have 5y warranty I wonder if BMW will replace the engine at least 5 times :poop:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You’re absolutely correct…

The carbon buildup was so bad that it has fucked up the valves on my M1000RR, and BMW will have to replace the whole engine.

In Switzerland however it’s impossible to ride on high RPM’s without getting arrested/bankrupt.

As I have 5y warranty I wonder if BMW will replace the engine at least 5 times :poop:
Then what is the point of owning a M or even an S 200 hp motorcycle for the street? Might as well get a scooter to keep you from jail/bankrupt if the laws are that bad.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It's not just gearing, it's the expensive, lighter internals (again very similar to the CBR and ZX-10RR)
  • RR four-cylinder engine developed for racing purposes on the basis of the RR engine. Even more top performance, higher torque in the mid-range and 500 rpm more maximum speed.
  • Output 156 kW at 14 500 rpm, 4 kW more than in the RR. Maximum torque of 113 Nm at 11000 rpm.
  • New 2-ring forged pistons, each 12 g lighter, adapted combustion chamber and increased compression to 13.5. In addition narrower and lighter finger followers.
  • Fully machined intake ports with new port geometry and BMW ShiftCam technology for varying valve timing and valve lift.
  • Titanium valves, with new spring assembly on the exhaust side, narrower and 6% lighter cam followers and optimized camshafts.
  • Very light, compact basic engine with longer and 85 g lighter titanium connecting rods from Pankl for reduced friction and lower weight.
Ok then, are they burning oil yet?

·
9,135 Posts
Hasn't been widely reported on the ZX-10RR or CBR to my knowledge
It's BMW's first engine with such design, of course it is gonna have issues, as long as they honor their warranty owners will be fine, it's a PITA to deal with it on a $40k bike though.

CBR SP had an engine issue, but Honda caught it before bikes left the factory, fixed them before shipping. BMW QA is lacking, every new platform they develop has way more issues than the competition. I.e, 2015 K46, 2019 K67, 2020 K66. Yamaha had major issues with 15/16 R1, but issued recalls, BMW does not like to issue engine recalls for some reason, but they have the best longest warranty though. Pros/cons to each brand, but I have been happiest with my 2020 GSXR compared to S1k & R1/R6. 2017 GSXR had few recalls, but nothing serious.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's BMW's first engine with such design, of course it is gonna have issues, as long as they honor their warranty owners will be fine, it's a PITA to deal with it on a $40k bike though.

CBR SP had an engine issue, but Honda caught it before bikes left the factory, fixed them before shipping. BMW QA is lacking, every new platform they develop has way more issues than the competition. I.e, 2015 K46, 2019 K67, 2020 K66. Yamaha had major issues with 15/16 R1, but issued recalls, BMW does not like to issue engine recalls for some reason, but they have the best longest warranty though. Pros/cons to each brand, but I have been happiest with my 2020 GSXR compared to S1k & R1/R6. 2017 GSXR had few recalls, but nothing serious.
It`s a shame they don`t sell the GSXR1K here because the emission laws, would have bought one.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm gonna take some guesses here and say reliability? Cheaper parts, cheaper to make fast when compared to an S1KRR? Personally I'm a GSXR fan. My first two bikes(bought a week a part dont ask lol) were GSXR750s. Loved them... until...I got my first S1KRR(2012). I have a 2016 S1KRR now and last season I got the chance to ride my buddy's GSXR1000R, 2018 to be exact. Suzuki definitely still makes a very very good liter bike but for me... the bar is just set so high with my BMW. It was night and day(not that the gsxr was bad, not bad at all). I can't say personally I'd pick a gixxer over my beemer.

Reactions: z00

·
9,135 Posts
It`s a shame they don`t sell the GSXR1K here because the emission laws, would have bought one.
2023 GSXR will change that.

Just curious z00, what makes you happiest about your 2020 gsxr over the other bikes you mentioned?
Maintenance: super easy to work on. No need to visit dealership at all. Easier to convert to a track bike compared to K67 & others. Can flash it at home for under $500.
Power curve: it has motoGP mechanical VVT, power in low & topend. It stays with S1ks & V4s on straights. Mine made 200HP 90ftlb torque with full system, air filter, stacks.
Reliability: 2500 track miles in one season, never skipped a beat. 17+ GSXR has an enhanced starter, no problem starting in 30d. Always had starter problems with R1/S1k/R6.

Brakes: Stock monoblock calipers & Tdrive, only had to replace MC & pads. Really like brakes on it.
Agility/handling/ergos: It's the main reason why I got it. Balanced in corners entry & exit, can lean it with confidence. Almost same ergos like K67.

In case you have not seen it, 2 videos playing with friends K67s at VIR & Barber:

Reactions: SRod321

·
Registered
603 Posts
Suzuki and Kawasaki dominate drag racing for a reason. The motors take alot of abuse. I know of several early gen ZX-10s and GSXRs with close to 100k miles no issues. The 2005-2006 GSXR was used to develop the S1000RR

Life is too short to be a brand hugger snob. Those early bikes still made about 160 rwhp without all the gadgets

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have to agree with you on that @z00 I've always liked the ergos on the gsxr, not so much the k6 1000 but the newer 1000 DEFINITELY much better. And VERY VERY easy to work on. I literally tore apart my first 750 and put it all back together after I crashed it.

Reactions: z00

·
9,135 Posts
For me as a street bike, BMW wins. As a track bike GSXR wins. Electronics are older on GSXR, but unless you are within 2sec of lap records, they are not going to hold you back. Lap records at few track in mid west were broken by a GSXR1000 on a flashed stock ECU.

Looks wise, it's subjective. My track GSXR is unpainted, designed to go, not show. Out of all bikes I owned, my street GSXR turns most heads at Starbucks. I get "That's a sick Ducati" often lol.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't ride the street anymore since I dont have the time. The time I do have I set aside for track riding. I probably ride 12-18 times a year on track from 9am-5pm without sitting out. I want an M1000RR but the problem I have is BMW does not give you any options in customizing the bike. If I am going to spend 40K+ I want to be able to customize it for the track. I dont want to spend extra time removing all the stupid street crap just to put it in the dumpster.

I want to be able customize the Forks with Ohlins, brembo master and cali's, delete the street addons including the ABS components. :confused:

This is why I haven't bought one. I really like my 2018. With the 2018 I ripped out the ABS crap, removed the street exhaust with catalytic, dumped the light bulbs, rear seat, rear pegs, and mirrors. When I removed the headlights these weight nothing, so I decided to keep my street fairings because it looks nicer than track fairings. The one thing I did get was the carbon fiber belly to cover the catalytic cap. I did not add any frame sliders or case protectors. If this **** is going to crash it's not going to save much of it.

My point is if I MFC offers customization then Ill spend the money. Just like my new custom Dainese suit. Dainese offers customization. It's easy. You use software to customize your design, upload artwork if you want and go get measured. It's an easy process.

I paid $3400 for it to be custom tailored with Kangaroo leather. I think cowhide is less. I have to do the YOLO's decisions. Dainese had to have it shipped to Las Vegas because Libtard Commifornia doesnt allow the Sale of Kangaroo. I have to say it's worth every penny to me. I wore it for the first time last Friday. :D

41 - 60 of 103 Posts