BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
9,189 Posts
Yes, saw a couple of M1ks with white exhaust smoke at Barber & VIR, bike needs to be topped off with oil. Unless you are a pro sponsored racer, stay away from M1k until BMW gets its $hit together. Or stick with K67.

If you want an equivalent bike for less money minus engine issues look into the Honda CBR RR SP. It competes with M1k & V4R, $14k less OTD. Much easier to flash (remote) & set up as a race bike.

Reactions: Rehh

·
9,189 Posts
Does the CBR RR SP have false neutral issues?
It has 6 neutrals, Honda has you covered.
2021+ RR SP is completely different from older gen, it's $11k more for a reason (18k Vs 28.5k).

What’s bizarre is that BMW continues to sell knowing there is an issue, and they are not willing to take back the bikes presenting issues, or pay compensation for it.
Keep us updated, curious to see how they handle your case. I'm surprised some people think it is due to breakin lol.

Reactions: Littlebitoquickness

·
9,189 Posts
BMW is following their car model in bikes. M1000RR is here to stay.

It's also the same model most other bike manufacturer follow. All brands have basic and premium sport models. Ducati takes that model to the next level, which I find confusing & useless (base V4, V4S, V4 Speciale, V4R, superleggera), WTF. Kawi, Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia mainly have base & premium, which makes sense.

·
9,189 Posts
Hasn't been widely reported on the ZX-10RR or CBR to my knowledge
It's BMW's first engine with such design, of course it is gonna have issues, as long as they honor their warranty owners will be fine, it's a PITA to deal with it on a $40k bike though.

CBR SP had an engine issue, but Honda caught it before bikes left the factory, fixed them before shipping. BMW QA is lacking, every new platform they develop has way more issues than the competition. I.e, 2015 K46, 2019 K67, 2020 K66. Yamaha had major issues with 15/16 R1, but issued recalls, BMW does not like to issue engine recalls for some reason, but they have the best longest warranty though. Pros/cons to each brand, but I have been happiest with my 2020 GSXR compared to S1k & R1/R6. 2017 GSXR had few recalls, but nothing serious.

·
9,189 Posts
It`s a shame they don`t sell the GSXR1K here because the emission laws, would have bought one.
2023 GSXR will change that.

Just curious z00, what makes you happiest about your 2020 gsxr over the other bikes you mentioned?
Maintenance: super easy to work on. No need to visit dealership at all. Easier to convert to a track bike compared to K67 & others. Can flash it at home for under $500.
Power curve: it has motoGP mechanical VVT, power in low & topend. It stays with S1ks & V4s on straights. Mine made 200HP 90ftlb torque with full system, air filter, stacks.
Reliability: 2500 track miles in one season, never skipped a beat. 17+ GSXR has an enhanced starter, no problem starting in 30d. Always had starter problems with R1/S1k/R6.

Brakes: Stock monoblock calipers & Tdrive, only had to replace MC & pads. Really like brakes on it.
Agility/handling/ergos: It's the main reason why I got it. Balanced in corners entry & exit, can lean it with confidence. Almost same ergos like K67.

In case you have not seen it, 2 videos playing with friends K67s at VIR & Barber:

Reactions: SRod321

·
9,189 Posts
For me as a street bike, BMW wins. As a track bike GSXR wins. Electronics are older on GSXR, but unless you are within 2sec of lap records, they are not going to hold you back. Lap records at few track in mid west were broken by a GSXR1000 on a flashed stock ECU.

Looks wise, it's subjective. My track GSXR is unpainted, designed to go, not show. Out of all bikes I owned, my street GSXR turns most heads at Starbucks. I get "That's a sick Ducati" often lol.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
9,189 Posts
The dealer which also sells Yamaha, provided me with a brand new R1 until the M1000RR is ready again (I preferred the R1 over a S1000RR as I had never tried an R1 before).
That's a nice dealership you have!

What are your impressions of 2022 R1 compared to M1000?

·
9,189 Posts
^ 2022 CBR fixes gearing & air intake. Curious to see how M does compared to CRB SP in first WSBK race.

·
9,189 Posts
Get the 2022 S1000RR K67 fully loaded package at $27K USD. Better bike for just track days and canyon riding.
Fully loaded as in K67 M options? 27k? Has price changed? Some deals I got last year were $19k OTD with all(race & premium packages).

·
9,189 Posts
There is a fully loaded package on the S1000 making it a M1000 except the rear swing arm and underslung brake assembly.

Has the Akra from the M1000
Minus the M66 engine. Which is why the M is 10k more alone. I mean it's the main reason people buy the M IMO or maybe Starbucks status in your case 😝

Reactions: SRod321
1 - 10 of 10 Posts