BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
IMO, you cannot properly break in the BMW when its limited to 9k rpms for 600 miles!
it has nothing to do with a break in, it’s the piston design. From what I heard new pistons are in production already, but who knows if this will definitely fix the issue…

What’s bizarre is that BMW continues to sell knowing there is an issue, and they are not willing to take back the bikes presenting issues, or pay compensation for it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most of the time on mine so far the burn off is enough to only create a light oil filming inside the muffler area. The stock Akra muffler really showed this issue alot but the spark muffler I have on there now decease the residual build up and its more just blackish / oily touch.

If you ride the M1000 like it was intended at high RPM's and keep a really good burning fuel in the bike, it will last at least 20000 miles with no issues. If you ride it like commuting to work or coffee stop shopping, you are going to build carbon more based on the oil issue passing the rings than a bad tune in the ECU.

The sole purpose of the 2 ring concept is for less friction, and lighter rotational weight. The 2 ring piston has one compression ring (instead of two) and one oil ring. 2 ring pistons (four stroke) have less drag and can help performance, but, another issue found, some must be replaced more frequently. They do cause less wear on the cylinder too since it has always been found the oil control rings are scrapers and create the wear.

Wisco has been making performance pistons since I can remember building engines back in the 80's. Even in 2 strokes where 2 ring piston was the normal, Wisco made 1 ring pistons for those replacements in the high performance use market.

I am happy to own my M1000RR, but, the way this bike has shown its 'street' issues, I am very happy I also own the S1000RR K67 so I can put more miles on it and less wear and tear of my M1000.
You’re absolutely correct…

The carbon buildup was so bad that it has fucked up the valves on my M1000RR, and BMW will have to replace the whole engine.

In Switzerland however it’s impossible to ride on high RPM’s without getting arrested/bankrupt.

As I have 5y warranty I wonder if BMW will replace the engine at least 5 times :poop:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine was refreshed for 3k euros

I assume he paid 25k just for work hours ? Engine is free under warranty ?

Silly Americans with their unreal life
It's a complete new engine and a new cat (complete exhaust without can).
The engine, cat and work hours would total 25K CHF.

Like I said, I obviously don't have to pay for it, it's covered under warranty.
And Switzerland, not US.

The dealer which also sells Yamaha, provided me with a brand new R1 until the M1000RR is ready again (I prefered the R1 over a S1000RR as I had never tried an R1 before).

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's a nice dealership you have!

What are your impressions of 2022 R1 compared to M1000?
I have only done a few miles… weather is not helping. What I can tell so far: worst brakes I ever experienced in a sports bike - feels like wood.
The riding position of the M1000 is a lot more comfortable.

Other than that I really like the low RPM grunt and how agile the bike feels.

The dash feels dated, but it’s a lot easier to adjust the settings on the fly. Quick shifter works well, but not as good.

Seems like it would be a lot of fun on track. For street, I’d stick with the BMW 100%.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Im the first one in switzerland who have new engine with new parts inside, my old engine was burning oil 1000km 1 litre, i have now new engine from bmw, i tested (drive about 1000km) change oil and the bike didn’t move oil, so If you have problem the new engine is top without problems anymore
In which Kanton are you based, and when have you received the engine?
According to my dealer mine was the first. Other engine(s) had been replaced, but still used the same piston and piston rings - not that I care if I was the first or not, just curious since you have even been able to already run the 1.000km despite the shitty weather we have been having lately, so it must have been a few weeks already.

I collected the bike yesterday and drove only 20km (was happy to return the R1). The bike felt good and I had the impression there were more burbles coming from the exhaust.
I’ll be traveling the whole week so no chance to test it in the next days.

The document of the bike will have to be changed and the new engine number will be mentioned. Hopefully this will not affect the value.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello, I am in France and I am looking for information. do you know if there is a recall for the problem? I'm looking to buy an m1000rr in a few new days. do they have this whole problem? in france, there are many m1000rr for second-hand sale. is the problem hidden? thank you
There if no official recall.
I believe in France you should also be able to have warranty extension to 5 years in total, that should give you some peace of mind.
Difficult to say why they are being sold… issue or if the person did not adapt to the bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would like to know if any changes have been made to the 2022 models. In France, in 2021, you had to order and wait between 2 and 3 months for delivery. today in 2022, there is stock available in the dealerships. I find that strange. Robin
I had to wait a couple of months to get mine, but it was just being introduced… now that the bike has been available for almost one year, why would it be strange to have immediate availability?
As far as I know nothing changed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts