BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Vendor
4,406 Posts
The issue is solely a problem with the 2 ring piston design. There is even a rumor that BMW Motorrad was going to release a maintenance interval that included remove cylinder head for valve inspection at 20,000 miles. That is still being discussed as to if the public needs to know this and needs to adhere to it.

Reactions: JUST4GP and Fosters

·
Vendor
4,406 Posts
Couple of local people were on the pre order list and their numbers were quite far after mine. I was number 67. So those couple of people saw the issues starting to come to light on the FB and other forums about the oil usage issues. They moved their money from the M1000RR to the S1000RR M loaded package at my referral. One guy get his next week on that switch over. The S1000RR M Loaded package at $27K is not a bad deal and you get the same great hardware minus the wings and M graphics, and under slung brake.

·
9,135 Posts
Yes, saw a couple of M1ks with white exhaust smoke at Barber & VIR, bike needs to be topped off with oil. Unless you are a pro sponsored racer, stay away from M1k until BMW gets its $hit together. Or stick with K67.

If you want an equivalent bike for less money minus engine issues look into the Honda CBR RR SP. It competes with M1k & V4R, $14k less OTD. Much easier to flash (remote) & set up as a race bike.

Reactions: Rehh

·
Registered
56 Posts
IMO, you cannot properly break in the BMW when its limited to 9k rpms for 600 miles!
it has nothing to do with a break in, it’s the piston design. From what I heard new pistons are in production already, but who knows if this will definitely fix the issue…

What’s bizarre is that BMW continues to sell knowing there is an issue, and they are not willing to take back the bikes presenting issues, or pay compensation for it.

·
9,135 Posts
Does the CBR RR SP have false neutral issues?
It has 6 neutrals, Honda has you covered.
2021+ RR SP is completely different from older gen, it's $11k more for a reason (18k Vs 28.5k).

What’s bizarre is that BMW continues to sell knowing there is an issue, and they are not willing to take back the bikes presenting issues, or pay compensation for it.
Keep us updated, curious to see how they handle your case. I'm surprised some people think it is due to breakin lol.

Reactions: Littlebitoquickness

·
Registered
187 Posts
it has nothing to do with a break in, it’s the piston design. From what I heard new pistons are in production already, but who knows if this will definitely fix the issue…

They have always known that it will burn oil, since it has two ring design.

I bet they made the bike for some other than daily road use :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Couple of local people were on the pre order list and their numbers were quite far after mine. I was number 67. So those couple of people saw the issues starting to come to light on the FB and other forums about the oil usage issues. They moved their money from the M1000RR to the S1000RR M loaded package at my referral. One guy get his next week on that switch over. The S1000RR M Loaded package at $27K is not a bad deal and you get the same great hardware minus the wings and M graphics, and under slung brake.
I sprung for the black 2022 with race/dynamic/premium package for 20,300. I just couldn't justify the Mpackage or carbon package for the price.

·
Registered
603 Posts
For those that still believe in the BT fairytales about proper break in as solution
The BT video is useful though, I've broken in at least 12 bikes using similar methods. Periodic bursts of hard throttle then full decel and cool down (riding at moderate speed on a cool/cold day is ideal, you don't want to build too much heat into the engine too quickly). Shorter trips and avoid droning down the freeway in top gear at all costs. The Chris Moore rule is 10 to 15 complete heat cycles and he's proven it on the dyno (I've also seen similar dyno tests from others)

The 600 miles "rule" is more cya for BMW to make sure someone isn't going to take it to the drag strip fresh off the showroom floor

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The BT video is useful though, I've broken in at least 12 bikes using similar methods. Periodic bursts of hard throttle then full decel and cool down (riding at moderate speed on a cool/cold day is ideal, you don't want to build too much heat into the engine too quickly). Shorter trips and avoid droning down the freeway in top gear at all costs. The Chris Moore rule is 10 to 15 complete heat cycles and he's proven it on the dyno (I've also seen similar dyno tests from others)

The 600 miles "rule" is more cya for BMW to make sure someone isn't going to take it to the drag strip fresh off the showroom floor
I will say that my new motor post break-in and new Brentune is noticeably stronger than the original. I used the break-in procedure in the BT-Moto video this time whereas I was much easier on it originally. I don't know if the stronger power is due to the break-in, changes in the motor from BMW, or changes in the Brentune, but there it is.

BTW, I had the first service at 475 miles on the new motor. I think they require something like 360, not 600. 600 is just the suggested break-in period.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will say that my new motor post break-in and new Brentune is noticeably stronger than the original. I used the break-in procedure in the BT-Moto video this time whereas I was much easier on it originally. I don't know if the stronger power is due to the break-in, changes in the motor from BMW, or changes in the Brentune, but there it is.

BTW, I had the first service at 475 miles on the new motor. I think they require something like 360, not 600. 600 is just the suggested break-in period.
They require 621 miles. You can do your first service earlier than that, but the service light will come on again at 621 miles and you’ll have to take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Interesting that you say that. I broke in my 2020 basically how that video said but obviously that was not out at the time. I was very religious to go on and off throttle for the whole 6xx miles. I’m sure I definitely sounded like a new rider but I believe it paid off well. It was definitely aggravating to say the least going on off on off ect ect ect. That is great to hear though that you notice a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
225 Posts
They require 621 miles. You can do your first service earlier than that, but the service light will come on again at 621 miles and you’ll have to take it back to the dealer.
I took my bike in for its first service at exactly 601 miles. Now at over 1,000 miles and service light has not come on. I do think there is a minimum number of miles or service light will come on but don't know what it is.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts