BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished the break in miles and got to take the M1000 on the track for 4 days. All stock, no mods. Gearbox was nice and smooth, brakes felt good but different. Honestly I rather liked the Hayes brakes but I'd have to say the M brakes give more feedback at the lever. The chassis and handling is very similar to the standard RR but not the same. Still have to play around with the suspension settings but it's nice where I have it at the moment. Easy to hit an apex and never had a problem running wide. It's a great option for someone who loves the RR's traits but wants more (and can afford the premium that comes with the M parts and branding). This bike is on loan for a little while and then back to BMW.
Wheel Tire Helmet Motorcycle helmet Vehicle

·
Registered
137 Posts
So how much faster is the M1000rr against S1000rr on track? I wish someone did a 1:1 comparison with timing/track so we can know the difference between the two and what does the extra 10-15k actually get us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
For mere mortals...I think it just makes you poorer...not faster.
Well, like the old saying:
"The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big one." 🤣

·
Vendor
3,945 Posts
So how much faster is the M1000rr against S1000rr on track? I wish someone did a 1:1 comparison with timing/track so we can know the difference between the two and what does the extra 10-15k actually get us.

The problem with this idea is that both the K67 and the K66 would have to setup exactly the same from suspension to gearing. I have 2 K67's and the K66 ( M1000 ). The problem at this time is that my M1000 has the new Ohlins FKR122 forks, and the 568 revalved by VSR. Then my K67 has FGRT 202 forks and a Ohlins 568 that is revalved by Kyle Racing. They handle so different in testing on the street I cannot wait to test on the track. Cresson has thursday open track days and I plan to visit there with both my K67's and my K66.

Another issue is the mind games that throwing a $42000 bike down at 1400 miles still is on my mind. I rode my K66 at COTA in the Kern COTA track days. Best I got was 2:39 and most of it was.. dont crash, dont crash in my mind. Once I hit 5000 miles it will be alot easier to accept I need to go out on it and push to the limit and see what it does.

As to Dylan point of view. I had already made laps at Fontana and Cresson and the first thing you can notice is the apex corner feel. The longer swing arm really makes the bike feel stable and plant harder on corner exit.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

I say I could probably go a tiny bit faster on the M1000 compared to the S1000RR but it would be similar. I'm thinking the M1000 might take less "effort" to go the same speed as the S1000RR. When we had the HP4 Race, I would go ride with the other coaches who were on the RR, and if we were doing similar lap times, the HP4 Race was way more fun to ride. With that said regardless what model you have, the biggest difference would come from an excellent chassis/suspension setup coupled with good tires.

I've seen people spend big money on high end audio gear and put it in a room with poor acoustics. Total waste of money. Same with a motorcycle. If you're going to spend the money, take the time to get the suspension/chassis settings dialed in.

·
Registered
677 Posts
From what I remember bmw showed a graph that the rr had a little more power in the lower rpm’s ( better for roads) and of course the M revs higher with a little more peak power

·
Registered
137 Posts
All I’m saying is someone should ride stock K67 & K 66 on a similar day with similar tires with similar suspension set up as the stock unit allows on track and capture the data. This should be the baseline comparison of the two units - Does not have to be overly complex.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I say I could probably go a tiny bit faster on the M1000 compared to the S1000RR but it would be similar. I'm thinking the M1000 might take less "effort" to go the same speed as the S1000RR. When we had the HP4 Race, I would go ride with the other coaches who were on the RR, and if we were doing similar laps times, the HP4 Race was way more fun to ride. With that said regardless what model you have, the biggest difference would come from an excellent chassis/suspension setup coupled with good tires.

I've seen people spend big money on high end audio gear and put it in a room with poor acoustics. Total waste of money. Same with a motorcycle. If you're going to spend the money, take the time to get the suspension/chassis settings dialed in.
The biggest difference in laptimes comes from components above the seat than below it. That's where there's the biggest upgrade opportunity. I would have expected you to be making this point.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Gen4 was 1.4 seconds a lap faster than the Gen3 on the BMW "average" track. That was in the press release. I've been searching for the same for MRR...

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Gen4 was 1.4 seconds a lap faster than the Gen3 on the BMW "average" track. That was in the press release. I've been searching for the same for MRR...
It’s out there…I remember having discussion with Nate Kern telling me how BMW were pushing the riders to the max to be sure the M1000 was truly 1 second faster around the track than a standard S1000rr

·
Registered
205 Posts
It’s out there…I remember having discussion with Nate Kern telling me how BMW were pushing the riders to the max to be sure the M1000 was truly 1 second faster around the track than a standard S1000rr
Being 2.4 seconds a lap faster than a Gen3 would be significant...
(Gen3 owner)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I said Gen3 to Gen4...another poster said MRR is a second faster than the Gen4.

Ergo 1.4+1...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Ah. I get lost when people spout the gen designations. "K66" means nothing to me. YEAR means generation to me.

I'd like to see data where they took each gen/model then and ran them back-to-back on the same day. You can't really use data from years ago and compare it to someone running a track today because track surfaces and tires change.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts