BMW S1000RR Forum banner

201 - 220 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Most forum members (I'm guessing here) are street riders. The really serious track guys who can appreciate a BMW "M" bike are a small minority, and I'm talking about the track guys who can take it to the limit, not the casual weekend warrior.

That said, BMW's "M" bikes are seriously not for the average sportbike rider. If the new bike excels on the track, it'll help sell some more reasonably priced street RR's, and that's what BMW wants...I think. "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" (or Tuesday, since most BMW dealers are closed Mondays.

:)

·
Registered
995 Posts
The forks on the v4r are actually too soft for anything above a group pace. Ready had to change the springs out and add more oil. 100% poser status with ohlins.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If you are buying the M as a racebike the price might be worth it. (Not to the average club racer mind you) To buy it as a street bike the price is not worth it compared to the standard bike. Not even close.
No mate. Racing teams below national level buy Sport with Perf package. They have no moneys for M.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The forks on the v4r are actually too soft for anything above a group pace. Ready had to change the springs out and add more oil. 100% poser status with ohlins.
Mate, even FKR forks are soft for Mugelo and you would have to put harder springs.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I quite like 44 teeth and think they're a breath of fresh air in the motorcycle review scene. Quite original and funny to watch. I am very aware of biased and paid advertisements in this scene.

I did answer your question. They do not care about what will sell the bike and who will buy the bike. The fact of the matter is, the same Marzochi forks that come on the RR can be used with no extra cost to BMW and they can source Nissin brakes cheaper. The bike will be spec'd to WSBK for them anyway. They don't care to spend extra money on fitting Ohlins to it so some wanky coffee snob bloke will buy it. Because lets face it. Track guru's will not buy this to punt around. It's a Starbucks steed. BMW will fit what they want to it anyway. They only needed to homologate the key items like engine and chassis. To be honest if you really want Ohlins and Brembo go buy a V4R and stop whinging BMW didn't consult you first. You're as bad as old mate pedaling the Black RR bs from months ago.
Yeah, agree on all that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Most forum members (I'm guessing here) are street riders. The really serious track guys who can appreciate a BMW "M" bike are a small minority, and I'm talking about the track guys who can take it to the limit, not the casual weekend warrior.

That said, BMW's "M" bikes are seriously not for the average sportbike rider. If the new bike excels on the track, it'll help sell some more reasonably priced street RR's, and that's what BMW wants...I think. "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" (or Tuesday, since most BMW dealers are closed Mondays.
Maybe a few will buy the M instead of the V4R to park in their living room as Moto jewelry. It's less expensive and more impressive than a much art I see around.

I wish I were worthy, but I'm just an aging (ok, aged) upper-intermediate rider with aspirations to eventually play in the advanced group, but I don't expect to ever get good enough to race.

·
4,890 Posts
You got to be kidding to think that MRR is even an option for TDs/racing unless you are a pro racer. It will be close to $45k to set up MRR as a track bike. For half of that money a 2020+ R1 will still spank it. So why pay twice as much for a lesser outcome? Unless of course one is wealthy and money does not matter, into brand names so they can say they track a $40k bike.

I need to upload my video of last track Ducati day in racer/expert group where I gapped V4s and S1ks that make twice the power of my R6 (Stock suspension & gearing). No $40k bike can give me that sanctification lol. BTW if I had $45k to spend on a race bike I would go with motoGP Petronas limited ready to race R1, it has more power and quality components than MRR. I just really don't get how people don't realize V4R and MRR are merely a way for Ducati and BMW to compete in WSBK. And they still get their asses handed to them by Kawi and Yamaha. To be fair Ducati is doing much better than BMW in WSBK. I care less for brand loyalty, I care more for best value, quality, and maintenance.

Reactions: flyryder

·
Registered
228 Posts
The value on the M proposition are those engine internals and any eventual adjustment on the frame and geometry. With those tools many racer teams and those with budget will make a competitive bike. 15krpm is an advantage for this.
The rest is replaced by Aplha Racing parts and as said here good Ohlins, Brembo and forged wheels.

There will be many posers buying it, for their channel or posts views and to go on straights on places where there is no hill or mountain around and track is far.

Think motivating is that the performance delta against the S is small at least on the range most of us can use it on track. So one don’t feel to devalued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Honda is nice

Just timing that visually by start/finish line he is running in same tempo as Ape and BMW. No idea why they said Bemeer is the fastest

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
They had to do something. Running 7th - 12th all the time was a zero return on the investment made already. I am sure Sykes had alot to do with the Titanium rods landing in the engine since he was involved with Kawasaki at the time they introduced those to their RR on a production basis. BMW didnt just resign Sykes for another year to see him go before testing the new engine with the upgrades. Sykes only problem is he is a great 5 lap wonder, and then falls backwards when the goodie is gone out of the tire.
I agree. He starts off strong then it pains me to see him get over taken. His qualifying times are usually pretty good which used to make me think he was going to have a good race.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Makes me laugh when all the punters squabble over the price or what it does and doesn't have. This one here guys. They don't give 1 sh1t what any of you think. Its made for WSBK and thats it. Move along.
If they fix the frame finisher I'll buy one.....

Ok I had my joke so I'll move along now... :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
You got to be kidding to think that MRR is even an option for TDs/racing unless you are a pro racer. It will be close to $45k to set up MRR as a track bike. For half of that money a 2020+ R1 will still spank it. So why pay twice as much for a lesser outcome? Unless of course one is wealthy and money does not matter, into brand names so they can say they track a $40k bike.

I need to upload my video of last track Ducati day in racer/expert group where I gapped V4s and S1ks that make twice the power of my R6 (Stock suspension & gearing). No $40k bike can give me that sanctification lol. BTW if I had $45k to spend on a race bike I would go with motoGP Petronas limited ready to race R1, it has more power and quality components than MRR. I just really don't get how people don't realize V4R and MRR are merely a way for Ducati and BMW to compete in WSBK. And they still get their asses handed to them by Kawi and Yamaha. To be fair Ducati is doing much better than BMW in WSBK. I care less for brand loyalty, I care more for best value, quality, and maintenance.
If your sole purpose of a track day is to beat faster bikes or more expensive bikes then you have it all wrong! If someone can afford the MRR and use it on a track day then good luck to them they have probably worked their butts off to be able to afford it. A track day is where you can ride your bike in a controlled environment its not a race day! i think its a great looking bike and they will sell all of them easily, and if you gap one on a track day dont pat yourself on the back too much, maybe join a race club and test your skills properly?

·
4,890 Posts
If your sole purpose of a track day is to beat faster bikes or more expensive bikes then you have it all wrong! If someone can afford the MRR and use it on a track day then good luck to them they have probably worked their butts off to be able to afford it. A track day is where you can ride your bike in a controlled environment its not a race day! i think its a great looking bike and they will sell all of them easily, and if you gap one on a track day dont pat yourself on the back too much, maybe join a race club and test your skills properly?
My sole purpose of a TD is to have fun learning, improving, and gapping others with much more experience and/or way more powerful bikes safely. TD or a race we all have a good feeling gapping others. If you say otherwise you must be the guy at TDs with an expensive bike that gets gapped by clapped out Gixxers.

Same story with a rider doing 2up on a naked bike on the street at a safe pace for him but other riders on fully decked out sportsbikes cannot keep up with him. What does that say? It says such bling bling riders should consider spending less money on expensive bikes and mods, and spend more money on rider training and TDs. It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it, but they should not get butthurt when they are called out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My sole purpose of a TD is to have fun learning, improving, and gapping others with much more experience and/or way more powerful bikes safely. TD or a race we all have a good feeling gapping others. If you say otherwise you must be the guy at TDs with an expensive bike that gets gapped by clapped out Gixxers.

Same story with a rider doing 2up on a naked bike on the street at a safe pace for him but other riders on fully decked out sportsbikes cannot keep up with him. What does that say? It says such bling bling riders should consider spending less money on expensive bikes and mods, and spend more money on rider training and TDs. It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it, but they should not get butthurt when they are called out.
Exactly as i thought, you are a trackday hero, im sure your phone is ringing off the hook with motogp offers. You have never raced otherwise you wouldnt be talking so much crap. You also seem to have an issue with people that have better bikes than you and they dont ride to your satisfaction! Why do you think that you have to "call them out" why not just go past them and let them enjoy their day?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Damn it! I can’t justify 32k for a motorcycle. I could not justify 28k for the V4S and this is 4k more, s and you know everyone will sell for sticker. OTD is going to beg 35k by the time the dealer sticks it to you. But this thing is lovely. I swore off inline 4’s after my 2010 S1000RR. Now I would like that adaptive cruise control see it’s way in more bikes.

BMW is consistency innovating this segment. They have brought all of the following: ABS, Traction Control, Ride Modes, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Adaptive Suspension, TPMS. They are listening to the consumer. But they are also pushing prices up.

Reactions: Kiev1981

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
What year do you have? I read they added softer springs because owners complained of the harsh ride. And that makes sense as hard core track riders will update the springs, but Street riders won’t go softer and will simply complain.

Reactions: bmwbadboy

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Bruce - you should really experience European trackdays mate with the likes of Rehm.

Pretty much any EU trackday is a very competitive event in fast groups. On top of that Rehm do run 3-4 races as part of 3 days trackdays. Depending on the country they either do rolling or grid starts.

What you say is true in theory, but in practice not. I assume AUS or the US trackdays is somewhat kindergarten level, I'm not surprised tho.

201 - 220 of 253 Posts