BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

Vendor
Just got back from MotoAmerica race weekend with BMW engineers. The issue is the typical aspect you would expect from 2 ring pistons. Heat must be proper to the operation of any engine. There is an operational range for a reason. The M1000 will require you to really properly warm the engine before you take off riding and throwing a load of RPM's to it without the metals all expanded, the oil up to temp. We take for granted we go to a car / truck and just jump in and hit the starter and take off. Takes 3-4 minutes for the engine to really get to 210F. Operationally temp is typically what the thermostat with designed around.

The pistons on the M1000 need to expand as there is no real oil scraper ring set. The oil is going to really get on top of the piston when both rings line up. The gaps are still there in rings and rings spin on pistons while going up and down in the cylinders. Depending on how long you have a piston ring set line up on gaps is how long you are going to get oil blow by and it burns off on top of the piston.

Scavenging the crankcase reduces crank case pressures which reduces oil wanting to get pass the rings. Some pro mods even go to the extent of putting vacuum pumps on the bottom ends to pull vacuum on the crank case so oil is reduced on getting pass the piston rings.

I have talked with a couple of M1000 owners and they report 1/2 quart in 800 miles. Seems I remember @flyryder having an oil consumption issue on his HP4 that BMW deemed within factory specs even at 1/2 quart in 1000 miles.

2 ring pistons reduce drag and friction. This is a WSBK designed engine. It was not designed for public release to just commute on and have fun showing off your wings. I dont look for BMW to do much about the issue as it is doing what it was designed for. You better operate it within the operational parameters to keep it happy and not use too much oil on cold start ups.

Registered
How much oil are they using? When I was a BMW automotive Svc Manager, BMWNA's policy was that if the cars get fewer than 700 miles to a quart it's a problem. 700 miles or more...no problem.
I've seen that kind of thing said before from manufacturers. I think it's bullsh!t, and if my bike (or car) went thru a quart every measly 700mi, it'd be sold. On some days, that's a days ride for me. On a long weekend trip I'm NOT going to carry a case of oil with me.

Registered
It's not actually burning oil, it's that new hybrid gasoline/diesel engine BMW has been working on... 馃ぃ

Actually, I read a blurb about how some F1 engine manufacturers have been cheating the absurd fuel consumption limits by burning thru some oil (as, aaaahh, fuel) as the race progresses. Not sure how true that is, but...

BT Moto
I'm not implying that at all. There is an issue with the engines. BMW needs to address it. If anything, you would know more than the average customer. Given the work you do, I would expect this.
As our video states, the two ring design and slug they decided to go with is a pretty serious setup for a road bike and needs to be broken in properly. Every person we've seen this issue from has been the "cruise it to cars and coffee" type of break in.

BMW has said oil consumption up to a certain amount is perfectly normal, but to another customer has told them they are aware of the issue and working on a solution (likely an engine replacement).

Vendor
It's not actually burning oil, it's that new hybrid gasoline/diesel engine BMW has been working on... 馃ぃ

Actually, I read a blurb about how some F1 engine manufacturers have been cheating the absurd fuel consumption limits by burning thru some oil (as, aaaahh, fuel) as the race progresses. Not sure how true that is, but...
This was very correct. F1 was using the oil as a 2nd combustion medium. They were loading the oil with octane and allowing it to enter the combustion process. It was ban'ed of course.

Reactions: ZZZ

Registered
This was very correct. F1 was using the oil as a 2nd combustion medium. They were loading the oil with octane and allowing it to enter the combustion process. It was ban'ed of course.
Interesting the lengths some will go thru to cheat.... ;) Like Ferrarigate...

Registered
I've seen that kind of thing said before from manufacturers. I think it's bullsh!t, and if my bike (or car) went thru a quart every measly 700mi, it'd be sold. On some days, that's a days ride for me. On a long weekend trip I'm NOT going to carry a case of oil with me.
Not saying I agree with their policy, just that's what it was back in the 80s.

Registered
Not saying I agree with their policy, just that's what it was back in the 80s.
No, I got you, I didn't think you came off as agreeing with it, sorry if it was construed that way. I was just commenting on it as I'd seen the same type of thing mentioned elsewhere. I think it's BS, SOMETHING is wrong with a passenger (not racing) vehicle if it goes thru a quart that quickly. That's like saying it's ok that the car leaks ONLY a gallon of gas every X miles. Thankfully, all my vehicles over the years have never burned or even leaked oil. I like to think it's because I break in my new motors EXACTLY like the manufacturer instructs. Also, I always wait until the motor warms up before riding or driving it, especially with motorcycles. I see people start up their vehicles cold and then just drive it normally or even hammer on it. Yikes! I pretty much refuse to buy anything used for that reason. My '01 Gixxer 1000 I bought new and ran up 79,000mi on never leaked or burned a drop the whole time I owned it. Other bikes (with somewhat less miles) and cars (with double the miles) have been the same way.

Registered
If I've gotta carry a case of oil with me on every long trip, I might as well be riding a Hardley! 馃ぃ

Vendor
If I've gotta carry a case of oil with me on every long trip, I might as well be riding a Hardley! 馃ぃ
There is a performance difference in burning the oil vs just leaking it every where.

Registered
One thing for certain, babying the bike early in it's life is a sure way to get a motor that doesn't have good ring sealing and uses oil - I've seen it several times first hand. I don't think you want to break in on a dyno necessarily, but you definitely need repeated hard throttle for short bursts (don't overheat the engine), close the throttle abruptly and allow full engine braking. As Bren indicates, most break in is done in the first few rides, but I believe some minor residual break-in occurs which takes longer

When I see people baby their bikes for 1000 miles I just shake my head...my bikes never use oil, including this one, and it's one major downside of buying used. Many owners don't do it right

Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The issue here could be the owner not running the bike in correctly. But with the amount of complaints, I think its a manufacturing issue. The bike is a street legal bike therefore run in is done on the street. The manual describes the process. BMW already know what the issue is anyway so its not up for questions. They will have tested and found the fault. Bottom line, it shouldn't blow smoke when run in the road and if you say well customers don't run them in hard enough, then supply the bike with no run in procedure and schedule and just have it full gas from out of the crate like the race engines are. Simple.

Registered
The issue here could be the owner not running the bike in correctly. But with the amount of complaints, I think its a manufacturing issue. The bike is a street legal bike therefore run in is done on the street. The manual describes the process. BMW already know what the issue is anyway so its not up for questions. They will have tested and found the fault. Bottom line, it shouldn't blow smoke when run in the road and if you say well customers don't run them in hard enough, then supply the bike with no run in procedure and schedule and just have it full gas from out of the crate like the race engines are. Simple.
Very good point about it being a street legal bike all consequences from there.

Registered
They possibly went a step too far with the engine to be street ready. Too many posers will buy one for the coffee shop run. When really they should be thrashed.

The irony is that the HP4-Race didn't have this issue...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Registered
They possibly went a step too far with the engine to be street ready. Too many posers will buy one for the coffee shop run. When really they should be thrashed.

The irony is that the HP4-Race didn't have this issue...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's not road legal right ?

Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
HP4 Race was not road legal. Engine came run in. Engine was also sealed with lock wire tamper seals so if someone opened it, factory would know. Once they had reached their 5000km life they were sent back to AG for a replacement. Not cheap either.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts