BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post on Facebook regarding a customers M 1000 RR burning oil. A few others have also noted the same. People have tried to say it was due to run in being done incorrectly. While that has some affect, that won't be the cause. It will most likely be the new piston and ring design in the M 1000 RR which is different to the S1000RR. Or another valve guide issue similar to the cylinder head recall on the S1000RR. Blue smoke at low kms is an issue. I have seen it on other BMW models where the air filters were not fitted properly and were letting dust in which was wearing the valve guides and causing valve guide play. They were burning oil at a great rate. Now BMW will know what the issue is, they always do. They just don't say anything until they have a fix or if the sh1t hits the fan then a recall will be issued. It will be a short engine replacement (no cylinder head) or a full engine replacement. I wonder if anyone on here with the M has this issue?

·
Registered
137 Posts
But per BT it's the Break In being done incorrectly. They have actually found the issue and resolved it. They also provided Video instruction on how to do the break in properly which will solve this issues. BT knows best, BMW should just link M1000rr customer to the BT video.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I saw a post on Facebook regarding a customers M 1000 RR burning oil. A few others have also noted the same. People have tried to say it was due to run in being done incorrectly. While that has some affect, that won't be the cause. It will most likely be the new piston and ring design in the M 1000 RR which is different to the S1000RR. Or another valve guide issue similar to the cylinder head recall on the S1000RR. Blue smoke at low kms is an issue. I have seen it on other BMW models where the air filters were not fitted properly and were letting dust in which was wearing the valve guides and causing valve guide play. They were burning oil at a great rate. Now BMW will know what the issue is, they always do. They just don't say anything until they have a fix or if the sh1t hits the fan then a recall will be issued. It will be a short engine replacement (no cylinder head) or a full engine replacement. I wonder if anyone on here with the M has this issue?
So far my only issue is with the cruise control (disabling after even minor bumps on the highway).

Post edited… bike is burning oil 😕

Sorry but IMO the break-in procedure vídeo from BT is totally BS.

·
8,592 Posts
I never get people that say there is no known way to break in a bike. It's in the user manual. Engineers that designed the bike know best.

With limited numbers of M1000s, BMW won't issue a recall. Most likely a design/manufacturing issue that BMW overlooked like the cylinder head issue on K67.
M1000 issues in endurance races might be related to this issue. Hopefully BMW will find the root cause.

·
Registered
524 Posts
How much oil are they using? When I was a BMW automotive Svc Manager, BMWNA's policy was that if the cars get fewer than 700 miles to a quart it's a problem. 700 miles or more...no problem.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I never get people that say there is no known way to break in a bike. It's in the user manual. Engineers that designed the bike know best.

With limited numbers of M1000s, BMW won't issue a recall. Most likely a design/manufacturing issue that BMW overlooked like the cylinder head issue on K67.
M1000 issues in endurance races might be related to this issue. Hopefully BMW will find the root cause.
My S1krr engine has 7k of track kms and due a refresh or at least an inspection. The cost of that that I get quoted is 2-4k euros.
So my thinking was why not to upgrade it to a new m1krr engine instead.
And now I read about oil burning...

·
8,592 Posts
my S1krr engine that has 7k track kms and due a refresh or at least an inspection. The cost of that that I get quoted is 2-4k euros.
So my thinking was why not to upgrade it to a new m1krr engine instead.
And now I read about oil burning...
Stick with K67 engine, BMW has had more time with it. K66 engine is newer, still has some bugs to be worked out.
You can always order Alpha superbike engine build but what's the point? More power is gonna make you faster.

You think my mechanic is expensive, 2-4k euros to do a valve check & inspection is way over priced. In USA by my mechanic it's only $800. Valve adjustment is $1200.
You should not need to rebuild the engine at 7km.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Stick with K67 engine, BMW has had more time with it. K66 engine is newer, still has some bugs to be worked out.
You can always order Alpha superbike engine build but what's the point? More power is gonna make you faster.

You think my mechanic is expensive, 2-4k euros to do a valve check & inspection is way over priced. In USA by my mechanic it's only $800. Valve adjustment is $1200.
You should not need to rebuild the engine at 7km.
The price is for opening the engine and inspecting every bit. I can do valves adjustment and compression check for 300 euros here.

I'm in doubts yes. So you think the stock engine with 7000 kms on track doesn't need to be rebuild ?

·
8,592 Posts
The price is for opening the engine and inspecting every bit. I can do valves adjustment and compression check for 300 euros here.

I'm in doubts yes. So you think the stock engine with 7000 kms on track doesn't need to be rebuild ?
I would do valve check, compression & leak tests, oil analysis (all are pretty cheap). If all are good, def no need to rebuild yet.
On a stock engine internals you don't need to rebuild often. If you have race engine internals (cams, valves, etc...) then you go with internals kit range, in case of BMW Alpha would have details on how frequently to rebuild. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are fooling you. I had to rebuild my R1 engine at 10,000 miles (mostly track miles). 16 BMW engine was done at 22k miles (mostly street).

For stock engine, I would not rebuild until you have issues or one of tests above show signs of internal wear/tear.

Reactions: crosshairs

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I would do valve check, compression & leak tests, oil analysis (all are pretty cheap). If all are good, def no need to rebuild yet.
On a stock engine internals you don't need to rebuild often. If you have race engine internals (cams, valves, etc...) then you go with internals kit range, in case of BMW Alpha would have details on how frequently to rebuild. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are fooling you. I had to rebuild my R1 engine at 10,000 miles (mostly track miles). 16 BMW engine was done at 22k miles (mostly street).

For stock engine, I would not rebuild until you have issues or one of tests above show signs of internal wear/tear.
Yes makes sense.

Also, I'm not after more power, as you said S1krr engine is good. I don't have any issue keeping up behind V4R on straights, its really powerful when ridden properly.

My biggest issue now is that I'm felling more and more in love with V4R. Its such a pleasant ride now that I understand it more.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
BT Moto
1,290 Posts
Had 14 M1000 owners message us about oil consumption issues already. Both of ours are 100% with no oil consumption. Guess we're just super lucky since we don't know much about the bikes, as benny would imply :sneaky:

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had 14 M1000 owners message us about oil consumption issues already. Both of ours are 100% with no oil consumption. Guess we're just super lucky since we don't know much about the bikes, as benny would imply :sneaky:
I'm not implying that at all. There is an issue with the engines. BMW needs to address it. If anything, you would know more than the average customer. Given the work you do, I would expect this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The break in procedure in that video is basically the "motoman method" which although very controversial among enthusiasts , has been around many years and been used by untold number of people.
I've personally never followed a strict break in on any bike and always ride them pretty hard right from the get go but everyone should just follow whatever procedure makes them happy

1 - 20 of 62 Posts