BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode a standard today and it’s too tall the seller suggested a lowering kit but I was concerned how that might effect the dynamic suspension. I said I’d rather have a low model. He told me low models don’t have dynamic suspension. Is this true?

Overall I really like this bike. I’ve had 2013 s1000rr since new and the clutch rattle is ridiculous. I couldn’t get the dealer to do anything about it under warranty. He kept saying it’s normal. So my other XR question is do they develop the same clutch rattle?

·
Vendor
2,312 Posts
I rode a standard today and it’s too tall the seller suggested a lowering kit but I was concerned how that might effect the dynamic suspension. I said I’d rather have a low model. He told me low models don’t have dynamic suspension. Is this true?

Overall I really like this bike. I’ve had 2013 s1000rr since new and the clutch rattle is ridiculous. I couldn’t get the dealer to do anything about it under warranty. He kept saying it’s normal. So my other XR question is do they develop the same clutch rattle?
Not sure what year you rode...

I have 15 , 18, and 20 .. none of them have a clutch rattle.

Now the timing chain rattle in my 15, I fixed it and replaced the chain myself.

the 20 rattles, but BMW says its the shift cam crap.

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts

The low suspension still comes with dynamic esa. Clutch rattle is not normal and can be fixed. The XR has the potential to do the same thing as it's the same motor essentially.

·
Super Moderator
6,459 Posts
The low suspension is much better than a "lowering kit". The forks are actually shorter and the rear is engineered properly. But it's still only at best 1 1/2 inches, almost the same as just using the lower seat. Have you tried an S1000R instead?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I’ll be looking for the low model. I rode a 2019 at the dealer. He was the one giving me the info. I’m not a fan of the R. I like the riding position and utility uses of an adventure. I have a V strom I just miss the power. The strom doesn’t quite get it at 100 hp. It’s got decent torque but not what I like up top. It handles surprisingly well. The XR seems perfect except for the height. During the test rid I came to a stop, had to one foot it and it leaned a bit further then I intended. It took about all I could do to keep it upright. I really think the 31” seat height would do the trick. I’m not sure about the low seat. The seat that was on the demo was amazing. I really want that seat.

Benny. Is the rattle on my 13 just the basket or does every component need replaced? I’m guessing it must be wear on the basket where the die springs seat? If so I wonder if it might be possible to add some weld stock there and remachine? Did bmw design a fix or do we just have to keep throwing new parts at it?

To be honest once I lost the battle with the dealer over the clutch issue under warranty I parked the bmw, swore I’d never buy another and bought the vstrom. It’s been in storage ever since. I recently tried to sell it but as soon as it fires up that rattle scares buyers away. I guess I’ll have to fix it. If the dealer comes up with a low model XR im going to trade it in and when they start saying it’s got clutch issues I’m going to show them the paperwork where they said it’s normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 low version with the HP seat. I have over 14k on it already and no issues. The standard was too tall for me too. I added this Wunderlich mod to raise the front of the seat just a tad:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/42721002.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts