BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I found out today that my bike's key is missing. I still have the spare key, but since the primary key is lost, I don't want to take any chances.
Does anyone know whats involved in changing both the locks (ignition and tail) and how much would the parts cost?

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts
The ignition may be a Dealer job since the key has a chip in it. I can tell you that the pillion seat or cowl's lock is VERY simple... basically once you get the ignition changed over, you can buy just a tumbler set and you can set the rear to match your new key - it's not too tough to do... don't know about the ignition though... my gut tells me you'll need to have the Dealer change that one out.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Cannot you just supply teh numbers etc and teh Dealer get a new key in and code it
Did you get the emergency plastic key as well

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Guys, I found out today that my bike's key is missing. I still have the spare key, but since the primary key is lost, I don't want to take any chances.
Does anyone know whats involved in changing both the locks (ignition and tail) and how much would the parts cost?
Go see your dealer.

He can order another stock key for you. I believe BMW keeps about 5 keys per bike. I've done it with other BMWs and it takes a day or two to get one and cost about $50. Make sure you specify the plastic emergency key or the metal one. I've been there too.

He's got your VIN number too. If you have the code ring off the other spare key it helps. Definitely cheaper than changing out the entire $120 lockset as it has two screws that need to be drilled out from underneath, and then you need another pair of coded keys too along with the lockset, a possible reprogram of the immobilizer and ECU using his computer, and changing the lockset in the seat too. Eat up an hour or two labor to do it all and your looking at maybe $400 labor and parts short of buying one $50 spare key. Big costly pain rather than just ordering a key.

Even if you lost all the keys, it's still cheaper to let the dealer order you spares than changing out the both locks, drilling out the tamper-proofs, and re-programming and still buying keys too.

Mack

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Take your spare key and the plastic wallet key--all the keys you have in your possession--to the dealer with the bike. They can then block the key that you have misplaced. It won't work until you bring it to them--if you find it--and reactivate it. They will probably charge to do it. To order a new key you need to prove ownership of the vehicle--license, registration, and such. The dealership will order the key--like $50--and you pick it up in a few days. I will already be usable on the bike so they don't have to "unlock" it or anything.

I highly recommend getting the missing key blocked. You probably just misplaced it or left it somewhere and the person that finds it won't know what vehicle it goes to. But if some one has stolen it then they probably know what vehicle it goes to. . . . .

The lost key will still turn the ignition and remove the tail seat but the bike won't start if blocked. But I wouldn't worry about that. I hardly ever lock the steering on my bike and don't keep anything of value under the seat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As Mack says just go to the dealer with all your registration details etc..... Few years back we never got second keys with the bikes so it was pretty common to go back to the dealer and order up a spare to stash somewhere.

Stu

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys...I guess ordering a new key is the best option.
As long as the dealer can disable the lost key, then I should be all set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts