BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided i want an S1000XR. No R or RR for me. Too sporty for my commuting needs. I have found what I think is a great deal on a brand new "demo" model. Loaded with touring and pro packages, 10 miles on teh clock never registered etc. I am yet to ride one of these but am sure I will love it. bar buziness? I ride Harleys that shake like a mofo. I don;t see this being an issue and have read multiple way to deal with this which is no problem for me.

Questions. Does the 600 miles service need to be done by the dealer for any other reason that trying to be in there good graces should a warranty issue arise? Do they need to unlock the rev limiter with the computer thing or is all jsut hype. I do all my own maintenance now and have never had an issue when warranty arose. I keep meticulous records. This is far simpler than a Harley. One hole for oil and lots of brake bleeds.

On the subject of brakes I am assuming these work like Harley's if you have ABS and are going to bleed and do not turn on the bike to cycle the ABS pump it can be bled jsut like a regular brake? The computer im sure cycles the abs pump but it can be done without with the exception of the fluid that may be dirty in the abs portion of the line.

Best aftermarket bags. I prefer top loaders as everything doesn't fall out when you open them. That being siad I commute and split lanes daily to the tune of 90 miles so slim would be good too. Has anyone put slim old style k bags on one?

What are exhaust choices aside from Akrapovic? I get dealer cost on all parts as I work for a manufacturer in teh motorcycle industry but I gnat to see what else is out there. I need some sound to keep me from getting run over. Yes I understand fuel and air ratios and how this can affect things and how a tuner and tune will help. That's for later on...

I'll keep it short for now, but I have lots more questions. thanks in advance for any help. Hope to be riding one this weekend or next.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The 2017 model year fixes the buzzy bars. Alternately you can fit beefier bar ends which will eliminate most of the problem ($100).

Yes, the dealer has to unlocked your rpm limit. You will be forcefully capped at 9k rpm out of 11 for 600 miles. My 600 service was pretty cheap at the dealer.

Get a top mounted case and not side cases.

Get Akra they are the best.

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
1. Bars vibrate which can be fixed with heavier bar ends.

2. Having the dealer service it for the first service and then the major services is a good idea. You can do your own small services. If you ever need warranty it's good to have a close relationship with your dealer so they can provide you good prices and services and also help out with BMW when you need warranty. I wouldn't avoid the dealer completely. Goes against you in the long run.

3. The run in limiter can be removed with a GS911 or at the dealer.

4. Bleeding brakes done as per normal with ignition off. No need to cycle pump.

5. BMW does a nice tail bag for them.

6. BMW do a akra muffler. Not sure on others.

·
4,604 Posts
If you want nice sound and good looks Racefit or Sc-project cans IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for teh info so far. I think for work I can use my over the shoulder bag for a while. I hate where the top box sits on a bmw. It is up so damn high. Maybe I'll rig up my own with a knock off Haliburton case, who knows.

Fixing the buzzy bars will be simple. A guy today that is selling the bike said to fill the bars with silicon in addition to different bar ends and teh retrofit riser bushings(that is what Harley guys call them)

WHO HAS HAD WARRANTY ISSUES AND WHAT WERE THEY? WHAT YEAR IS YOUR XR?

What kind fo mileage does the XR get? It seems msot people get around 38MPG? 5 gallon tank so around 200 to a tank. I'm in ca so all gas has ethanol in it. 91 is the highest we can get.

Give me the names of some bag manufacturers aside from Givi please. BMW's are all new to me.

Next up is tires and mileage. I realize this differs for every one based on riding style, pressures, how often then are checked etc etc. Oh does this have TPMS or no? Never had that before. I have access to tires at cost so it seems most of the recommendations I've read elsewhere are about 250 a set and I can install at work on our tire machine at no cost. But, I need at least 10k out of a set. I ride 90 miles a day for work and then usually 300 or more on teh weekends. I don't want to have to get tires Every 6 weeks. Ok enough questions for this response. ;). Thanks to all so far. Like a kid in a candystore here.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Thanks for teh info so far. I think for work I can use my over the shoulder bag for a while. I hate where the top box sits on a bmw. It is up so damn high. Maybe I'll rig up my own with a knock off Haliburton case, who knows.

Fixing the buzzy bars will be simple. A guy today that is selling the bike said to fill the bars with silicon in addition to different bar ends and teh retrofit riser bushings(that is what Harley guys call them)
I used "great stuff" in my 1290R KTM handlebar, because I didn't want to add much weight, seems trivial now, but it did work.
I doubt there's much difference in weight between the expanding foam and silicone, in such a relatively small cavity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bennymx.

Finalized my deal picking it up Saturday and riding 350 miles home. Gonna be interesting varying the speed the entire way. Has touring and premium package but no bags or GPS. Tried to work the bags in but didn't expect that to work out. I opted for white as I prefer it to the red. Damn, I'm excited. Gonna sell one of my other bikes now. Decisions decisions. Maybe i should keep them all. I'm always sorry later on.

What can I expect to pay for teh 600 mile service in SoCal? It's probably gonna be done at Irv Seaver near my work. Definitely need a tank bag. Not a fan of teh BMW $339 one. What else is there besides SW mototech? Anything made in the USA? I'm big on supporting products made in the country I live in.

Does anyone make after market bars for beemers? I think I'm gonna want them a bit narrower. What is teh OD of these bars? I assume there is some kind of notch in teh end for the TBW? And probably a dimple for teh switch housings?

And, any american made windshields that are taller and worthy of long rides? That's all for now but I'll be back.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Gonna be interesting varying the speed the entire way.
One trick is to change gears. You can run a lot of gears at 60 MPH.

Plus, it is fun to slow down, downshift, and run up RPMs, sometimes shifting, sometimes not. You will not be bored getting to know your bike.

The BMW tank bag is very nice, but it is expensive. Of course.

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
600 mile service is probably going to be around $400, why not get it in the deal where you're buying the bike?

Try Ogio for tank/tail bags, I doubt anything is made in the US but you can look.

Rizoma makes different rise/width bars, even in different colours.

Have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts