BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

As some of you might have seen my previous post about moving to AZ well the time is near and I should be moving out there in 2 weeks. I'll be attending Grand Canyon University and I'd appreciate it if any BMW enthusiasts can help me out with the area geographically.

I'm looking for an area where the conditions to live are good, nothing too fancy or expensive since I'm a student but nothing to shady either (vandalism, robberies etc.) cough cough we all got motorcycles. I'm looking for a studio to live in. Please let me know what cities would be a good area to live in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It appears that GCU is in Phoenix. Russ and I are also Phoenix area.
The riding is nice up north.

Tracks directly in Phoenix require a sound ordinance (AMP) or are a bit tore up (Wildhorse/ Firebird)
The track in Wilcox is nice though - Inde

Summers are rough. Yesterday was 110. I still ride every day. When it rains, it pours! The monsoons are fun, but the road will quickly flood.

Every Saturday night they have Pavilions meet up, which is fun sometimes. Thursday they have a big bike night, but that's mostly Harley guys. First Saturday of the month is cars and coffee.
The areas vary greatly. What apx area of phoenix are you hoping to move to? Peoria is a nice area, cheaper, but it's in the NW corner and a bit far from a lot of things. North Scottsdale is very nice, but more pricy. North Mesa is nice and central to a lot of things. Gilbert and Chandler are also nice areas. Tempe is more of the college area.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears that GCU is in Phoenix. Russ and I are also Phoenix area.
The riding is nice up north.

Tracks directly in Phoenix require a sound ordinance (AMP) or are a bit tore up (Wildhorse/ Firebird)
The track in Wilcox is nice though - Inde

Summers are rough. Yesterday was 110. I still ride every day. When it rains, it pours! The monsoons are fun, but the road will quickly flood.

Every Saturday night they have Pavilions meet up, which is fun sometimes. Thursday they have a big bike night, but that's mostly Harley guys. First Saturday of the month is cars and coffee.
The areas vary greatly. What apx area of phoenix are you hoping to move to? Peoria is a nice area, cheaper, but it's in the NW corner and a bit far from a lot of things. North Scottsdale is very nice, but more pricy. North Mesa is nice and central to a lot of things. Gilbert and Chandler are also nice areas. Tempe is more of the college area.
110 wow that is definitely a killer heat. How often does it rain?
Now cars & coffee i could totally do. I like photo-shooting though I'm not quite the expert I'm learning as I go with my Canon Rebel.
I'm thinking within a 15-25 minute radius from school. From what you are telling me I think Scottsdale (as long as it is within the budget), North Mesa, and Tempe would probable be the areas I'd like to settle in. Gilbert and Chandler is somewhat of a 30-40 min commute which I'm not looking forward to. And Peoria well it is the closest location but me personally I don't like to be far from stores, gas stations etc.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Now cars & coffee i could totally do. I like photo-shooting though I'm not quite the expert I'm learning as I go with my Canon Rebel.
I'm thinking within a 15-25 minute radius from school. From what you are telling me I think Scottsdale (as long as it is within the budget), North Mesa, and Tempe would probable be the areas I'd like to settle in. Gilbert and Chandler is somewhat of a 30-40 min commute which I'm not looking forward to. And Peoria well it is the closest location but me personally I don't like to be far from stores, gas stations etc.
man congratulations. I hope all goes well for you. I gotta agree with you, the more we think about it the more we get excited. I'm thinking we'll be ready to move at the end of FEB 2018. ha ha see you by the end of your second semester.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Peoria is not far from any stores or anything of that matter, moreso just from any events. It seems most events are around Tempe or Scottsdale area.
Peoria is a nice area, but it also borders Sun City - aka retirementville. So there is ALOT of snowbirds and retirees. Glendale also borders it, which has quite a few areas that are not as nice. The arena and cardinals stadium is closeby though if you're into sports.

I have a Canon T6i that I'm just learning to use as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man congratulations. I hope all goes well for you. I gotta agree with you, the more we think about it the more we get excited. I'm thinking we'll be ready to move at the end of FEB 2018. ha ha see you by the end of your second semester.
Thanks pal. Lol yea sounds about right when my semester ends you'll be arriving to Phoenix.

Peoria is not far from any stores or anything of that matter, moreso just from any events. It seems most events are around Tempe or Scottsdale area.
Peoria is a nice area, but it also borders Sun City - aka retirementville. So there is ALOT of snowbirds and retirees. Glendale also borders it, which has quite a few areas that are not as nice. The arena and cardinals stadium is closeby though if you're into sports.

I have a Canon T6i that I'm just learning to use as well.
Retirementville=quietness I like that, but I also like been surrounded by people. Not really a big fan of sports, but I'll go watch a game just to do something out of the ordinary. Oh cool, the one with the detachable screen?....mine is the T5. By the way do you know if the softwares are the same?
I downgraded my laptop from Windows 10 to Windows 7 and I lost some of my Canon software programs to edit/move photos and stuff so I'm hoping when i start packing I can run into my cd softwares.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey @BlackStar5 hows it going for you. We Landed out in gilbert about a month ago.
Hey pal its going well man how was your move out here?
I just got back too I was outside of the country doing some traveling and then I traveled the US cross country to Ny and Niagara Falls and then I went back to Central American for more sightseeing.

How are you liking it out here?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey pal its going well man how was your move out here?
I just got back too I was outside of the country doing some traveling and then I traveled the US cross country to Ny and Niagara Falls and then I went back to Central American for more sightseeing.

How are you liking it out here?
Man I'm doing ok. We're liking it out here alot. I get in as much riding as me and the bike can tolerate. rode a couple times so far in the 110+ didn't go very far. I feel like I'd be doing more stopping to drink water than actual riding lol. I still ride to work don't matter the temp. The move out here wasn't too bad except for the shitty moving company Allied damaging my bike.

I see you've been around, hope your travels were good.

Maybe well get up for a ride some time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man I'm doing ok. We're liking it out here alot. I get in as much riding as me and the bike can tolerate. rode a couple times so far in the 110+ didn't go very far. I feel like I'd be doing more stopping to drink water than actual riding lol. I still ride to work don't matter the temp. The move out here wasn't too bad except for the shitty moving company Allied damaging my bike.

I see you've been around, hope your travels were good.

Maybe well get up for a ride some time.
Oh wow, what happened to your bike then while on the move?
Yea since I moved to Phoenix in August of 2017 I've only put 3k miles. School has me really busy during normal semesters and this past couple months well I wasn't around so my bike was safeguarded at a friend's house, but this heat man I can't ride like this. You spend more time drinking water than riding. Might be putting some miles from here on out since I'll be traveling every 2 weekends or so on the bike back and forth between Los Angeles and Phoenix.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I went to Phoenix once 4 summers ago to visit friends as part of a long weekend solo trip (2,700+ miles in about 5 days), and it was the most miserable hot experience I've ever had on a bike. COLD is another story but I digress....

It was at the middle to tail end of "monsoon season" and it was the only time until recently I'd ever overheated MYSELF on a bike. I started riding out in the SoCal high desert in the early '80s so I figured the actual temperature wouldn't bother me. What I DIDN'T count on was that the 105deg F heat that was no issue for me would be accompanied by 60+% humidity! I was feeling so bad I had to pull over and finish the liter of Gatorade I always carry/use, buy and drain another liter, and buy yet another to bring along the way to my friends house. It was absolutely miserable and I swore I'd never go there again on a bike unless it was in mid-Oct or later.

Bring and drink LOTS of water to stay safe because you WILL sweat it out, especially in full gear. The humidity makes it totally miserable. Up North along the border of UT it's ok, just hot and dry, it just seems to be a swamp around Phoenix for some totally unexpected reason. Friends who have known the area for years tell me it's artificially humid because over the year people are building houses and golf courses everywhere down there, putting moisture into the air that was never there before. Can't prove that, but it sounds reasonable and I know it used to be a lot drier, like it was in SoCal.

I DID see some nice roads around Phoenix that I had actually planned on riding by staying an extra day at a friends, but, with another hurricane coming in and the area having flooded badly less than 2 weeks before, I bailed a day early and didn't get to ride them.

Enjoy, best of luck, and be safe!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to Phoenix once 4 summers ago to visit friends as part of a long weekend solo trip (2,700+ miles in about 5 days), and it was the most miserable hot experience I've ever had on a bike. COLD is another story but I digress....

It was at the middle to tail end of "monsoon season" and it was the only time until recently I'd ever overheated MYSELF on a bike. I started riding out in the SoCal high desert in the early '80s so I figured the actual temperature wouldn't bother me. What I DIDN'T count on was that the 105deg F heat that was no issue for me would be accompanied by 60+% humidity! I was feeling so bad I had to pull over and finish the liter of Gatorade I always carry/use, buy and drain another liter, and buy yet another to bring along the way to my friends house. It was absolutely miserable and I swore I'd never go there again on a bike unless it was in mid-Oct or later.

Bring and drink LOTS of water to stay safe because you WILL sweat it out, especially in full gear. The humidity makes it totally miserable. Up North along the border of UT it's ok, just hot and dry, it just seems to be a swamp around Phoenix for some totally unexpected reason. Friends who have known the area for years tell me it's artificially humid because over the year people are building houses and golf courses everywhere down there, putting moisture into the air that was never there before. Can't prove that, but it sounds reasonable and I know it used to be a lot drier, like it was in SoCal.

I DID see some nice roads around Phoenix that I had actually planned on riding by staying an extra day at a friends, but, with another hurricane coming in and the area having flooded badly less than 2 weeks before, I bailed a day early and didn't get to ride them.

Enjoy, best of luck, and be safe!

The heat is really bad around Phoenix in the summer.
In other news, I won't be traveling between Los Angeles and Phoenix no more as I'm moving back to Los Angeles so that's a great thing for me because I will be back to splitting lane and back to riding my favorite canyon Angeles Crest Highway:grin2:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
In other news, I won't be traveling between Los Angeles and Phoenix no more as I'm moving back to Los Angeles so that's a great thing for me because I will be back to splitting lane and back to riding my favorite canyon Angeles Crest Highway:grin2:
The heat per se didn't bother me, but the totally unexpected humidity....Ugh! But then, I was a desert rat out in SoCal for many years, so, maybe my brain got baked out there!

Good luck with the move!

·
Registered
818 Posts
man that seems fast! you moving back to LA already?

What made you move back? good luck with the move.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man that seems fast! you moving back to LA already?

What made you move back? good luck with the move.
Yeap, Arizona isn't my cup of tea it's all I can say bud.
Thanks, ride safe out here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should have wen North to areas like Sedona or Prescott. Let alone SoCal has been beat up with 100+ heat.
That's what my wife mentioned, but I was up in the canyon (ACH) this past weekend and it was amazing. I went up the canyon for the first time with my wife and I was a little worried how she would handle the turns but she was great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts