BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading for years that Liqui Moly and Motul v300 was the best stuff. I put Liqui Moly in my s1krr. After I found out that the Moly in Liqui Moly means molybdenum. Which BMW says not to use. How bad is this? Will it just take the bmw preservatives off? Or will it do actual damage?

If I dump the oil after less than 50 miles will I be fine?

Real answers please.

·
Super Moderator
6,471 Posts
The main draw backs of it are cost and possible engine deposits left over. The same results can be achieved in oils without the need to use it. BMW refers to it attacking engine coatings. I believe this to be anything of copper and also the DLC coating on the valve follower rocker arms. Also deposits left over that can cause excessive wear. I haven't had any experience using 300v and haven't asked owners who use it to see if any long term engine damage has been found. I see it being a warranty issue for any new bike especially if something did go wrong and lubrication was a factor.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I've been using Liqui Moly 4T Synth 5W-40 Street Race oil in all my BMW motorcycles for years, including my S1K on the track and street with zero issues.

I believe Benny is referring to "molybdenum" as an additive to motor oils, and Liqu Moly is a brand name that refers to it's beginnings in oil additives (which it still produces). I don't believe there is any moly in this motor oil. The Product Safety data sheets certainly don't mention it.

If I'm wrong, and if BMW specifically says this Liqui Moly oil is not approved, please let us know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found the two spec sheets. I found it odd that they specifically say on the first use of LM, replace the oil at 300mile/500km.

·
4,604 Posts
Benny is referring to something else.

Liqu Moly sponsors/sponsored Moto2, moto3, and MotoGP for oil.

It comes down to what's in bike's service manual for oil certs/specs to have, and if used oil matches (JASO MA2, etc...). LM motorcycle oil matches/exceeds BMW's and Yamaha's specs. I have used 300v, and many other oils, but I prefer LM. I use their 10w-40 in street bike, 5w-40 race oil in track bike. Shifts are smooth, their prices are competitive when bought in 4qt jugs.

You can always send a sample to oil lap to see how LM is holding up.

LM is also goto oil for German performance cars (used it in my M3).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Than why do all the racing teams use something else?

Because the BMW 5w40 is just shell Rottella T6 packed in BMW brand.

·
Super Moderator
6,456 Posts
As far as oil is concerned, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If it meets BMW specs on their website (updated periodically and may be different to your printed manual from 4 years ago) then it will be fine. Lots of competition in this market, lots of choices. Both Liqui Moly and Motul sponsor a lot of racing, you can't go wrong spending your dollars at either one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She’ll Rotella T6 is a diesel oil that happens to meet the JASO MA2 standards. BMW changed the requirement for the oil from 10W40 to 5w40. More than likely because many people were commuting with the s1000rr well in to the winter and early spring. So there really wasn’t to many 5w40s if any back in 2010. But there was Shell T6 rotella! So everyone has suspended that was the oil BMW was using.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts