BMW S1000RR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
You guys are bunch of mean people around here lol.

In my opinion, will the engine blow because of this? I don't think so.

In my past I/people I know purchased many new bikes and cars and none had the limiter restriction. To call anyone tool is not right; As we can all relate / be considered, because we go to BMW and pay (anywhere from $300-400) to have the restriction removed. It's a business strategy, simply a way for BMW to collect additional revenue (True the Dealers get the revenue, but this is all part of the price tag that we pay ;)). You won't see this on the Japanese bikes; however, they might soon be following the BMW footsteps. It's like that old expression "Follow the money." BMW could have just as easily programed the restriction to be removed on its own after certain number of miles are reached, don't you think so? To justify additional cost on the price tag of the bike is hard now these days, It's almost easier to attach that additional revenue to the after-the-sale "service." Not many people question it, they just pay it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
BMW could have just as easily programed the restriction to be removed on its own after certain number of miles are reached
Of course - Ducati does something similar with their maintenance reminders that need to be cleared by a dealer, even though I always did my own inspections and oil changes

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
You guys are bunch of mean people around here lol.

In my opinion, will the engine blow because of this? I don't think so.

In my past I/people I know purchased many new bikes and cars and none had the limiter restriction. To call anyone tool is not right; As we can all relate / be considered, because we go to BMW and pay (anywhere from $300-400) to have the restriction removed. It's a business strategy, simply a way for BMW to collect additional revenue (True the Dealers get the revenue, but this is all part of the price tag that we pay ;)). You won't see this on the Japanese bikes; however, they might soon be following the BMW footsteps. It's like that old expression "Follow the money." BMW could have just as easily programed the restriction to be removed on its own after certain number of miles are reached, don't you think so? To justify additional cost on the price tag of the bike is hard now these days, It's almost easier to attach that additional revenue to the after-the-sale "service." Not many people question it, they just pay it.
Well, the guy WAS being a tool, bashing on Benny etc. We just call 'em like we see 'em here!...;)

I don't see the big deal in WAITING and paying for the first service which includes and oil/filter change and some other stuff to check if everything is ok. If it's going to make or break the warranty on a $20k bike, I'll GLADLY pay for it. What IS annoying is that if you do the oil changes yourself, that you need the dealer or GS911(?) to clear the codes. On my Toyota, there's just a weird sequence of things to do to clear the "maintenance" light.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FWIW - The only engine failure I've ever experienced on a motorcycle was on a 16 S1000RR that I had unlocked earlier than normal and broke in on a track. I didn't beat the crap out of it either, was a small track with no space for a liter bike to go full throttle. I've owned I think 17-18 different bikes, including four others with S1000 engines. Followed the break-in procedure on every single other one and never had an engine issue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
And yes Kawasaki is a trillion dollar company and bmw is a billion dollar company...huge difference in r/d.
Whoa whoa... Kawasaki worth a trillion US dollars? They are not even worth a trillion rubles. Seriously, they are worth about 2 billion. BMW on the other hand is worth over 60 billion. Very few corporations are worth over a trillion dollars, like seriously five. Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Saudi Aramco, and maybe on a really good day Alphabet/Google. Falls to 500 billion instantly after these 5, with Facebook usually topping that out. Where did you come up with a trillion dollar value for tiny Kawasaki lol?

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Whoa whoa... Kawasaki worth a trillion US dollars? They are not even worth a trillion rubles. Seriously, they are worth about 2 billion. BMW on the other hand is worth over 60 billion. Very few corporations are worth over a trillion dollars, like seriously five. Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Saudi Aramco, and maybe on a really good day Alphabet/Google. Falls to 500 billion instantly after these 5, with Facebook usually topping that out. Where did you come up with a trillion dollar value for tiny Kawasaki lol?
Interesting, I would have thought Kawasaki Heavy Industries (they make things for large ships) would be worth more.

·
Registered
767 Posts
He went on Wikipedia and saw their revenue at 1.3 trillion Japanese Yen (kawa heavy industries) but didn't bother to covert that to dollars. Fucken lol

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
It's the result of ultra lean tuning to meet emission limits

Yep - have the same 650 hp LT4 in my ZL1
gotcha, you're in the new model series. my ctsv is an old gen2, lsa which zl1's had back then.

...and it's lean in the "flat spot" area (actually causing it) because that's the only road speed (thus engine RPM) that's tested by the EPA.
makes sense. like exhaust valves being closed at idle where noise is tested.

I simply didnt know. My last bike was a 2012 CBR1000RR. I need to research about the advantage of the safety wire.
not sure if it's an advantage necessarily. i only have a cross drilled plug and safety wire for race events requiring it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Sorry I have been gone the last few days...been busy revving the bike up to 14K. Incredible power!

I think BMW corporate has found out about it because ever ytime I pass 9k on the rpm gauge I get huge message come on my TFT display that says:

"Hör auf!"

What did I miss other than people in Australia claiming they can see what I do to my bike in America?

If I lived in Australia I would not be worried about other guys bikes rev limiters...I would be worried about crocs, great white sharks and eastern brown snakes.

And if you really think BMW Motorrad (not BMW) has more r and d than Kawasaki then you need to lay off the pipe! If that is true BMW has wasted lots and lots of money!

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
To prevent the plug from undoing itself due to vibes?
yes, that's the root logic. If it was an actual legit risk, BMW would put it on at the factory. Race events just have to be extra, extra careful for stuff coming loose, fluids leaking, etc.

on choppers i'd use any combo of lock nuts, lock tite, lock washers, safety wire, etc. cuz they vibrated like crazy. these are nothing like those. if BMW put a retention feature on it, i'll use it, if not, i only do where req'd for events.

·
Registered
134 Posts
And if you really think BMW Motorrad (not BMW) has more r and d than Kawasaki then you need to lay off the pipe! If that is true BMW has wasted lots and lots of money!
I like how you just brush past the fact that you stated "Kawasaki is a trillion dollar company". You are also wrong here, BMW Group (which includes Motorrad) spends ~8.5 to 9 billion annually on vehicle R&D. Kawasaki Heavy Industries (which covers Kawasaki motorcycles) spends less than 500 million annually. It's not even close man.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well from what my dealer told me and several others very familiar with their system they cannot see when the limiter was removed. But at the end of the day I really don’t care. Odds are slim anything will happen and if it does the dealer will deal with it.
Translation: it wont be in your possession long enough to break

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry I have been gone the last few days...been busy revving the bike up to 14K. Incredible power!
So now you think the power is impressive?

Leaving the H2 out of it (which is a crazy comparison), the S1000RR is likely to be the 1000cc hp king again in 2021

·
Registered
79 Posts

I think BMW corporate has found out about it because ever ytime I pass 9k on the rpm gauge I get huge message come on my TFT display that says:

"Hör auf!"

What did I miss other than people in Australia claiming they can see what I do to my bike in America?

If I lived in Australia I would not be worried about other guys bikes rev limiters...I would be worried about crocs, great white sharks and eastern brown snakes.

If you do move to australia your nickname would be squid. Please dont come here as there are way too many squids here already.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts