BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
and how hard would it have been for bmw to remove the rev limit once you hit 500 miles WITHOUT a visit to the dealer and costing you money? My Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 has boost limits up until 500 miles, once the computer see's 500 miles the limits are removed without doing anything. German Engineering!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just redline it from day 1. Not like its expensive or anything. Not like they don't break down on their own anyway. Just send it man. Who cares. Just put a full system on it and flash it. Guaranteed to drop lap times 100%.
Thats not what I am saying at all. I don't plan on beating on it, but I did want to feel the bike out without it being neutered. I was on the fence about tuning it but the flat spot and powerband need it badly. Were you able to see if I came up in your system? I pm'd you my vin. Just curious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Without anyone getting their panties in a bunch, pls tell me why BMW is pretty much the only manufacturer (at least that I know of) that mandates this type of break in. Motors now-a-days are made with high precision, and dont need much 'brake in' and lugging a bike around at low RPM is typically not considered the best way break in a motor. Most dyno tune break ins are a few hundred miles and include high RPMs, the key is not to lug the engine but let it rev up freely. I am old, so I have owned dozens of bikes and have followed this procedure each time with success. I have never heard of an engine failure that is traced back to improper break in, but maybe I live under a rock. I am ready to be educated, so please tell me why BMW requires this break in. OP, I bought my bike with 800 miles, so I did not have to worry about the break in period, but I would have paid for a dealer to remove it early even if it voided the warranty. I will take that chance too.
My bike had 113 miles when they did limiter removal. Lots of stop and go, on and off. Guarantee you it was broken in by then. I almost feel like if bmw wanted to use such a restriction they should have allowed a steady rpm increase as your miles went up.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
comment above about EPA mandated flatspot...my old '10 didn't have it. why do newer ones come like this from the factory? it sounds intentional, but what's the reason they do this? introducing a flat spot in the middle of the RPM range shouldn't affect mileage, should it? or are they trying to achieve a certain mileage at a certain speed?

i always went through a tight break-in period on any vehicle/build, car, choppers, bmw. Just seems like the smart thing to do. Granted, i started this with HD's where you had to use natural oil the first break in, vary revs, etc. one engine builder told me he'd build it, put it right on the dyno, and let it rip. He said he'd rather it break on the dyno than on the customer.

modern engines are clearly space age tech compared to the old HD's, but could be other things breaking in besides engine too, i.e. the rear end on a car. at least bmw is smart and limits by RPM. some vehicles used to recommend not going over 55 mph for a period, which is ridiculous as you could redline it and be within break in procedure. maybe some day break-in won't be required at all, but i'll still do it. 6 years in engineering school to get a 4 year degree forces me to do so.🤓

·
Administrator
6,855 Posts
My dealer confirms what Benny said. When I asked about early rev limiter removal, the tech said the removal date and distance travelled at that time is stored both in the BMW central computer (against your VIN) and the bike ECU itself. I don't see what the big deal is to get it removed, it's not like it takes a year to get the mileage required.
I hope that this dealer takes care of you if and when.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
My dealer confirms what Benny said. When I asked about early rev limiter removal, the tech said the removal date and distance travelled at that time is stored both in the BMW central computer (against your VIN) and the bike ECU itself. I don't see what the big deal is to get it removed, it's not like it takes a year to get the mileage required.
I hope that this dealer takes care of you if and when.
true. last time i built the engine, i made 3 trips to austin and back and broke it in the first weekend i had it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Im still waiting on benny to confirm that info...i think we are all curious to find out if the motherland can see my dealer did this. Either way I won't be bothered by it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Best part of the above article...

"That being said, the long and drawn-out recommendations found in all owner’s manuals persist for two reasons. First, the methodology is a holdover from days of yore, when metallurgy, machining technology, and lubricants weren’t nearly as good as they are today."

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Best part of the above article...

"That being said, the long and drawn-out recommendations found in all owner’s manuals persist for two reasons. First, the methodology is a holdover from days of yore, when metallurgy, machining technology, and lubricants weren’t nearly as good as they are today."
yep, and i'll still continue to do it in my dinosaur fashion regardless, haha.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
My Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 has boost limits up until 500 miles, once the computer see's 500 miles the limits are removed without doing anything.
This is nonsense. The car has full power from day one. There merely is a little yellow line with a suggested RPM limit on the the display which disappears at 500 miles.

It is amusing to watch it evaporate when you reach the requisite miles, followed by the 10 quart oil change once you get home. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
This is nonsense. The car has full power from day one. There merely is a little yellow line with a suggested RPM limit on the the display which disappears at 500 miles.

It is amusing to watch it evaporate when you reach the requisite miles, followed by the 10 quart oil change once you get home. :)
I bought my zr1 with 5000 miles so I didnt get to witness that but I have seen videos like this that suggested your couldnt rev past as the ecu limited the car...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I remember the old days when you werent suppose to put Synthetic oil in till 1000 miles, now it comes straight from the factory with synthetic.
Do the New BMW automobiles have a rev limit when new?

I think its just so BMW can get $250 out of every customer for the first service for oil change and computer update!

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Is that a magnetic plug?
Generally, ALL drain plugs are magnetic, for the reason shown in the pic. All my older bikes except my '81 Yamaha were. It's a great idea, and keeps the steel (sadly not aluminum too) particles on the drain plug, not circulating with your oil.

·
Registered
162 Posts
comment above about EPA mandated flatspot...my old '10 didn't have it. why do newer ones come like this from the factory?
Ever hear of Euro5? What does your 2010 have to do with 2020 emission limits?

Agree the first service is too expensive for essentially an oil change, might be worth it if they really went through all the checks they're supposed to do

As far as metal shavings, reportedly the new bike is much better in this regard, we will see

Arabian - what year is your ZR1?

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Almost any 16+ new liter bike requires engine break-in, but only few like BMW enforce it at ECU level, requires rev limiter unlock. I.e, Yamaha R1/MT10 does not enforce rev limiter in ECU, but requires rider to do 600 miles up to 6k RPMs, then 1000 miles to 10k RPMs, then engine is broken in. RTFM!!!!
EVERY motorcycle (or car) I've ever owned had a break-in procedure, dating back to the early '80's that I personally know of. I can tell you KTM also enforces it at an ECU level from when I test rode the 790 Adventure S. It just makes sense, to protect the motor, and protect them from engine warranty claims from people doing stoopid sh!te with a brand new motor. An idiot friend of mine back in the '80's hot-rodded his (air-cooled) GPZ-550 around before it was broken it, and immediately warped the head.

Reactions: verrucktaxe

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
As far as metal shavings, reportedly the new bike is much better in this regard, we will see
I didn't get to see what was on the magnet at my first service, but since then I've done several oil changes and the amount of metal has been lower than other bikes I've had. Only anecdotal evidence, but so far so good.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts