BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And if I voided my warranty it would mean nothing to me. I’m probably going to flash the bike really soon anyway to get rid of the flat spot.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
How do I know if I give you my vin that you won’t report my bike? Lololol
There are plenty of d!<ks here, me being one of the biggest of them. 🤣 Benny isn't.

·
Vendor
3,178 Posts
@BMW_388 can the bmw system see when the limiter was removed in your opinion?
Using the AIR system > Some dealers enter the first service information and some do not. I just ran 4 vins for 2020 bikes and only one of the 4 showed the miles at first service. One had a crash and got the dealer to run a estimate report on it, but no first service info on that one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
AIR is service info only. Won't specify details. I can access all coding, programming, fault codes, vehicle stats, software, procedures. Everything. Any BMW bike in the world. Talking NSC access not dealer level access.
i pm”d you.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I won't say exactly but they worded it so everyone is protected. We discussed it at length before the limiter was removed to protect the dealer and my warranty. Like I said, there is no way they could find out. Unless of course they figure out who I am on this forum...lol.
What does it say on your repair order. And you realize that there will not be a repair order above 600 miles that says, limiter removed. Unless, your dealer wrote down you were at 600 miles on this service.

You see, on the unlikely event your engine grenades, A BMW rep will review your service history. I know, because that’s exactly what I would do. I used to be a factory rep that would check claims such as this.

Reactions: CYCLE_MONKEY

·
Administrator
7,293 Posts
@AMPforE I used to do exactly this. I can see everything. AG can see what I see. They also can request the parts for analysis which they would do frequently. Like I said. If nothing ever goes wrong. Its all good. But if it does. You'll be royally fked.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Some break in time is needed, but it's more about heat cycling than mileage (freeway droning is the worst thing you can do for the engine). 80-90% of break in (ring seating) happens in the first few rides, after that it's a slower process. I always practice shorter trips in lower gears with short bursts of throttle and full cool down between trips. The 600 miles (1000 km) is arbitrary/convention, more to protect BMWs interest. Note that the book gives a range of 311 to 746 miles, and different dealers tell you different numbers, some say 450, others say must be exactly 600 miles.

·
Registered
765 Posts
When it costs the manufacturer to replace engines, they are happy to dig. So do we I guess!

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
@AMPforE You'll be royally fked.
Wow, that's bad. Not just fked, but fkd by Nobility no less! 🤣
It's only 600 miles, I had that down in maybe 3 rides. facepalm

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
What does it say on your repair order. And you realize that there will not be a repair order above 600 miles that says, limiter removed. Unless, your dealer wrote down you were at 600 miles on this service.

You see, on the unlikely event your engine grenades, A BMW rep will review your service history. I know, because that’s exactly what I would do. I used to be a factory rep that would check claims such as this.
EXCELLENT point!

Reactions: AMPforE

·
Registered
179 Posts
Without anyone getting their panties in a bunch, pls tell me why BMW is pretty much the only manufacturer (at least that I know of) that mandates this type of break in. Motors now-a-days are made with high precision, and dont need much 'brake in' and lugging a bike around at low RPM is typically not considered the best way break in a motor. Most dyno tune break ins are a few hundred miles and include high RPMs, the key is not to lug the engine but let it rev up freely. I am old, so I have owned dozens of bikes and have followed this procedure each time with success. I have never heard of an engine failure that is traced back to improper break in, but maybe I live under a rock. I am ready to be educated, so please tell me why BMW requires this break in. OP, I bought my bike with 800 miles, so I did not have to worry about the break in period, but I would have paid for a dealer to remove it early even if it voided the warranty. I will take that chance too.

·
4,892 Posts
Almost any 16+ new liter bike requires engine break-in, but only few like BMW enforce it at ECU level, requires rev limiter unlock. I.e, Yamaha R1/MT10 does not enforce rev limiter in ECU, but requires rider to do 600 miles up to 6k RPMs, then 1000 miles to 10k RPMs, then engine is broken in. RTFM!!!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
you likely won't have any issues at all, its just an excuse for BMW to void your warranty. Never give any manufacturer an excuse because they'll likely take it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It’s not uncommon for your drain plug to look like this even when taking it easy with the limiter on. With this level of shavings in the oil, it’s best to let the plug collect the metal shavings while your NOT redlining the engine.

Reactions: CYCLE_MONKEY

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
It’s not uncommon for your drain plug to look like this even when taking it easy with the limiter on. With this level of shavings in the oil, it’s best to let the plug collect the metal shavings while your NOT redlining the engine.

Is that a magnetic plug?

21 - 40 of 144 Posts