BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think that’s cool, but you do know there was nothing wrong with it right?

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
The run in limiter is there to allow the engine to be run in without higher rpm that can damage engine internals. It has nothing to do with the flat spots or emissions restrictions. The fact the dealer did this is actually absurd. They have actually voided your warranty. If Germany see this at any point in a warranty claim for your bike you will be up sh1t creek without a paddle. The dealer will need to cover this on their own. BMW NA and AG will deny it. This is one of their strict guidelines and any dealer should never ever do this. Even the ASBK race teams run their bikes in with the limiter for the required distance and then remove it. It's not that hard to do. Christ this is so stupid I can't even fathom it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I was fairly certain this was going to be a flame session. About as hot as a, “what type of oil is best” thread. Lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never understood the running in nonsense. The local ducati dealer offers to run BRAND NEW BIKES with zero miles in on the dyno. They have an entire process that includes hitting the rev limiter etc. My supercharged kawasaki zh2 had no rev limit...my dealer told me to drive it like I stole it the day I picked it up. The restriction is for one reason only, to force us to go to the dealer and give them a free 200-300 dollars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and BMW has no way of knowing when I got the limiter removed. The computer does not store that information.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
and BMW has no way of knowing when I got the limiter removed. The computer does not store that information.
What does it say on your repair order?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does it say on your repair order?
I won't say exactly but they worded it so everyone is protected. We discussed it at length before the limiter was removed to protect the dealer and my warranty. Like I said, there is no way they could find out. Unless of course they figure out who I am on this forum...lol.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
I agree with Benny that it's a horrible idea, and I'm SURE they have a way of knowing. You'd be surprised what info is stored in the ECU. Just because YOU can't find the info doesn't mean BMW can't.

Good luck with it...

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
The run in limiter is there to allow the engine to be run in without higher rpm that can damage engine internals. It has nothing to do with the flat spots or emissions restrictions. The fact the dealer did this is actually absurd. They have actually voided your warranty. If Germany see this at any point in a warranty claim for your bike you will be up sh1t creek without a paddle. The dealer will need to cover this on their own. BMW NA and AG will deny it. This is one of their strict guidelines and any dealer should never ever do this. Even the ASBK race teams run their bikes in with the limiter for the required distance and then remove it. It's not that hard to do. Christ this is so stupid I can't even fathom it.
Right???

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I do blow it up and they deny the claim I'll put a zh2 engine in it...faster and cheaper. lolololololol. Like putting an LS motor in a Mustang.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I totally agree with this. What's the big hurry to unleash the bike? For God's sake...have a little patience.

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
You are actually 100% wrong. Every time a bike is hooked up to a dealer PC with ISTA all of the information is stored online. BMW NA can see it and AG can see it. And guess what? You bought the BMW bike under BMW's terms and conditions. You fail to follow these rules. They can refuse warranty. This one here. Is probably no.1 on the list for following. Most dealers also won't fit a full system until after first service for the same reason. Just to make sure everything is 100%. You don't want to muck with warranty on such an expensive bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well from what my dealer told me and several others very familiar with their system they cannot see when the limiter was removed. But at the end of the day I really don’t care. Odds are slim anything will happen and if it does the dealer will deal with it.

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
Well from what my dealer told me and several others very familiar with their system they cannot see when the limiter was removed. But at the end of the day I really don’t care. Odds are slim anything will happen and if it does the dealer will deal with it.
Well the dealer and everyone else don't have a clue. I've been the one who deals with this stuff every single day as part of my job and I can find out just about anything I need to find out. In fact if you give me your vin. I can show you right now.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Ahhh, you don't know that Benny actually worked for BMW in one fashion or another, at a high level, right? I trust him over anything a dealer would tell you.

Reactions: A B

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Well the dealer and everyone else don't have a clue. I've been the one who deals with this stuff every single day as part of my job and I can find out just about anything I need to find out. In fact if you give me your vin. I can show you right now.
Dooo eeeet! That would be awesome to see. A great big "You've [email protected]<ked yourself" in real time...🤣

1 - 20 of 144 Posts