BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought lightech rearsets and it seems like i have to replace the rod from the quickshifter.. i can not get it off to save my life... anybody else run into this? Or know how to get it off?

Any input will be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looking at the instructions it looks like you just need to remove the bolt that holds the quickshifter to the gear lever. The suitable torx socket would work a charm after you pull the rubber bootie back. It's got threadlocker on it so it may need more effort to undo than expected - probably at least eleventy million times more torque than the 8Nm you're supposed to tighten it too when it goes back on. And don't forget the threadlocker where needed. Life's a bitch when **** falls off at speed on a bumpy road.

http://www.lightechuk.com/ekmps/shops/heneghan3/resources/Other/ftrbm004.pdf

First thing in the instructions:

- Remove the OEM rearsets, leaving the OEM shiftrod mounted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, i was not clear enough with my post(wrote it half sleep in bed). When if you decide to use GP shift, you need to replace the rod on the quick shifter. the package came with the shorter rod that you need to put on instead, but I can not get the stock rod off the quick shifter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, i was not clear enough with my post(wrote it half sleep in bed). When if you decide to use GP shift, you need to replace the rod on the quick shifter. the package came with the shorter rod that you need to put on instead, but I can not get the stock rod off the quick shifter.
Do you have a link to those instructions? The instructions I found mention nothing about replacing the rod. The BMW service and repair manual has no information about taking that part apart.

If the instructions that I found for the Lightech and BMW HP rearsets are anything to go by, you just leave the mechanism as is and bolt it to the correct hole.

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts
OP is keeping the model year secret for some reason, 2010-14 is completely different to 2015 + I am guessing he has the earlier version.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
OP is asking if the rods on either side of the sensor must be replaced. If so, how is it removed.

With Attack Performance, I've never replaced it. With Vortex, I did replace the rod closer to the lever.

Not sure what you've tried so far. You could put two nuts on the threaded end and turn it while holding the sensor with another wrench.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry i forgot to mention it is a 2016 BMW S1000RR. So I got the rod out and replaced. I will post up pictures incase anyone else run into the same struggle.

So with the Lightech rearsets on the 15+ BMW S1000RR you get a replacement rod that you need to use if you are using GP SHIFT. I took the shifter off and used vicegrips on the rod and large pliers on to the quickshifter unit itself. you have to use ALOT of strength to get it off, however it came off eventually and I replaced it with the rod that was in the lightech package. Now it fits perfect. If you do not replace the rod the shifter peg will be way too low compared to the foot peg and you will not be able to get your foot down under it comfortably.

Sorry for any confusion - will have pictures up later on incase anyone is interested.

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Quick off topic question, specific to LighTec rear sets, from those that have 'em. Where in the adjustability range is the stock peg position? These rear sets are one of three I'm considering if there is enough difference from the stock position.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Where in the adjustability range is the stock peg position? These rear sets are one of three I'm considering if there is enough difference from the stock position
From memory the stock position is middle bolt on the lower slide.

As I'm 6'2" with a fairly big hoof, the rearward peg positions work better when wanting to move you knee higher for better placement on the tank at the cost of long riding comfort and allows enough gear lever adjustability. The forward peg positions, don't offer me enough forward adjustment in the gear lever.

Although not an operational issue, more of an annoyance, is the lack of capability to re-use the OEM brake lever return spring. It just rattles around. You would think for the refinement/finish qualities of Lightech, they would have included mounting options for this.

It would be interesting to see how the Attack, Vortex or Gillies Tooling rearsets compare.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
It would be interesting to see how the Attack, Vortex or Gillies Tooling rearsets compare.
The Tech at my dealership swears by the Attack sets. Says there are plenty of adjustability and are a good value. Both Attack and Gilles (BMW HP sets) seem to place the OEM pegs mid-position of the adjustment range. Or at least that's what I've been told.

I'm trying to get a lower setting for road use, then adjust up for track. If there isn't enough of a difference from stock, I'll spend the money on another mod!

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Tech at my dealership swears by the Attack sets. Says there are plenty of adjustability and are a good value. Both Attack and Gilles (BMW HP sets) seem to place the OEM pegs mid-position of the adjustment range. Or at least that's what I've been told.

I'm trying to get a lower setting for road use, then adjust up for track. If there isn't enough of a difference from stock, I'll spend the money on another mod!
I think Attacks give you the most adjustment and like every part is replaceable. They are designed to take an impact and not leave you stranded from use.
The quality is top notch and the Vendor here Rider discount will give you the best deal you will find!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts