BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Was looking at buying this lever guard for my '17 S1000RR -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MonkeyBones-Lever-Guards-Internal-Bar-Fitment-fits-most-models/122988314066?hash=item1ca2acbdd2:m:m-aXjVHDRsQdwAmlTGltL4w

I really can't bring myself to spend $300 on lever guards and I like the look of these ones.

However it shows they fit bars with a 13-17mm diameter. I pulled my bar ends out today and noticed the diameter is about 12mm and it's only about 20mm deep before the thread starts. Just wondering if this sleeve could be removed? I've done this to another bike in the past but not sure if it's removable on this bike?

Also, was thinking of getting an SSB lithium battery - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SSB-Lithium-Battery-BMW-S1000-RR-2015-2017/282818608549?hash=item41d94d7da5:g:Vo0AAOSwjylarEbY

Has anyone used these before? I'm thinking for $99 it's a great weight-saving add on and also useful given I only start my bike once a month on average (track bike).

Thanks!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have an ssb lithium. Its been great. I lost my license for 3 months and didn’t start the bike at all during that time, battery held its charge the whole time.

·
Vendor
3,435 Posts
If you can't get yourself to spend $300 on lever guards, buy a "lever guard". The guards are not crash protection pieces to guard your levers from damage. They are there to protect your lever from accidental impact from an object/other riders. That being said, you only need one for the brake side, and not the clutch side.

We've got the S1000RR specific ones in stock with the correct adapters. > https://www.motomillion.com/products/twm-brake-lever-guard-for-bmw-s1000rr-2015-to-2017

Fits 2015-2018

·
Registered
286 Posts
Like MotoMillion said, you only need the brake guard. If I was buying one, I'd go for Gilles' as they make the fancy HP-branded guards for BMW and quality/fit are great https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/lever-guards/gilles-tooling-gt-shield-lever-guards-1 (I'm pretty sure one of the site sponsors could source these for you...)

Fair warning on the lithium battery- they can be be left unattended for so long because the S1000RR has pretty much no parasitic battery draw, not because the batteries are special or hold a charge longer. I had one in a Ducati, and it killed the battery in a hurry...and when lithium batteries drop below about 10v, they are toast.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
+1 on only needing the brake guard. I run Woodcraft guards and highly recommend them as they are two pieces and you can replace them separately. They are in the $100 range if I remember correctly...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Like MotoMillion said, you only need the brake guard. If I was buying one, I'd go for Gilles' as they make the fancy HP-branded guards for BMW and quality/fit are great https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/lever-guards/gilles-tooling-gt-shield-lever-guards-1 (I'm pretty sure one of the site sponsors could source these for you...)

Fair warning on the lithium battery- they can be be left unattended for so long because the S1000RR has pretty much no parasitic battery draw, not because the batteries are special or hold a charge longer. I had one in a Ducati, and it killed the battery in a hurry...and when lithium batteries drop below about 10v, they are toast.
Lithium batteries DO hold charge longer than many other types, thats one of their advantages. The other downside is they tend to have a short shelf life whether they’re used or not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Unfortunately at $120, by the time you convert to AUD and add shipping it gets expensive. Also I would like both sides rather than just brake side. I've been told you can't pull the thread out of the BMW handlebars, so I'll either drill them out to make a wider diameter, or make up a spacer to work with a cheaper lever guard.

Re the SSB batteries, what model number is everyone using? The Motobatt fitment guide is from 2013, and there are numerous online sellers but they all advertise different model numbers to suit the S1000RR! Hoping for something that is the same size as the OEM one. Don't care too much about CCA as I know they are way more than the stock one anyway, and it is just for a track bike which only gets started once a month or so.

Thanks!

·
Registered
739 Posts
E09MS000068 SSB Powersport lithium battery 12V High Performance LH5L-BS Is what i have. $160 from F1 Moto.

It fit perfectly in the battery cradle under the seat. From memory it came with a foam spacer as its smaller than the stock battery.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Lithium batteries DO hold charge longer than many other types, thats one of their advantages. The other downside is they tend to have a short shelf life whether they’re used or not.
I think you may have these things mixed up a bit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sparing everyone the discussion on various battery chemistries and borrowing from Ballistic's FAQs (since they're probably the most popular/reputable lithium moto battery manufacturer out there)-

-EVO batteries are more efficient than a lead acid battery. EVO batteries have a static discharge rate of only 10% per year. A lead acid battery self-discharges at a rate of roughly 1% per day. An EVO Battery has a cycle life of more than 2000 cycles versus a conventional battery which has a cycle of roughly 600 cycles. All of this means your battery will last longer.

-Although EVO batteries have incredible energy density and they can burst more cranking amps than a conventional lead-acid of similar physical size, they have less amp/hours. Amp/Hours is the ability to deliver a small amount of power over a long period of time. This means that if you typically use electrical accessories when the vehicle is off, a lead-acid with more amp/hour capacity might be a better choice.

https://www.ballistic-batteries.com/faq.php

So, yeah, when the battery isn't connected to anything it'll hold a charge longer, but that's pretty much meaningless if they're in a bike that has any parasitic draw. It does mean that they can be left sitting uninstalled pretty much indefinitely, and why the replacement lithium battery I got in 2013 is still in great shape despite spending most of it's time on a shelf. That moves us on to the second point, which is the energy capacity (not how much energy they can deliver for starting) of lithium batteries vs more traditional chemistries...which is substantially less. Which is why with a bike with parasitic power draw, an unattended lithium battery can easily be taken below the ~10v minimum, rendering it useless, and an AGM battery would take much longer to discharge, and be more easily recharged.

Mostly talking semantics though ? Like I said in my first post, stock S1000RRs usually have very little parasitic draw and batteries, AGM or lithium, can be left for quite a while without worry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
E09MS000068 SSB Powersport lithium battery 12V High Performance LH5L-BS Is what i have. $160 from F1 Moto.

It fit perfectly in the battery cradle under the seat. From memory it came with a foam spacer as its smaller than the stock battery.
Weird... I emailed SSB and they told me to use a LFPZ10-S for a 2017 model...

·
Registered
831 Posts
+1 for woodcraft brake guard $120 and it’s easy to remove for canyon dancers strap transportation. Crashes well, so I’ve heard 0:)
Are you using aftermarket clipons or how did you get it to fit the stock bar? Is there slider adapter that will thread in there?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts