BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
My lowbeam bulb just blew, what should I replace it with? I'm not looking to modify anything, is there a direct replacement upgrade that is a better bulb without having to fit anything else? Or just go oe?

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can buy the BMW ones that have built-in CANBUS support also to avoid throwing codes. I code out the errors on my BMW cars, so I would assume you can do the same on the bike, then you wouldn't need to buy the canbus version of the LEDs.
S1000RR headlights are not part of the CANBUS. At least on the 2016 model they aren't.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm starting to get tired of having to replace these high intensity xenon bulbs. they are the sylvania ultra bright whites.
i kinda want to try those, are they a direct replacement to the oe h7 bulbs? do you need to install a power block or modify the dust covers or anything? im looking for a direct bulb replacement/upgrade as my oe bulb finally went. i want to take the old bulb out, put a better bulb in, what are my options? thx!

·
Registered
39 Posts
i kinda want to try those, are they a direct replacement to the oe h7 bulbs? do you need to install a power block or modify the dust covers or anything? im looking for a direct bulb replacement/upgrade as my oe bulb finally went. i want to take the old bulb out, put a better bulb in, what are my options? thx!
The LEDs I bought are straight swap for OE H7s. No modifications required whatsoever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quick longevity update - finally got the chance to get out for a decent ride (just over 700km/440 miles). Longest stretch was a bit over 3 hours, which included some traffic slow enough to get the engine cooling fan to kick in. Headlights are still good, working, good output, nothing melted etc. There is a small amount of heat related discoloration right at the tip of the units, so they do get hot. But nothing else noticeable. So at this stage I'm going to count that as a win. Plug and play LEDs 1/3 the price of a set of halogens... yep :grin2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
They have NEVER been on the CANBUS,... ever,... since 2010.

Didn't someone mention in this thread that they got an error message running LED headlights though? Do we know if the bike has the cold and hot cycle bulb checks like BMW cars? The cycle pulses every 15 minutes and checks for continuity through the bulb. This fails and gives you the warning errors on BMW cars. I'm not sure what the bike will do yet.

-Sam

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
No, no one did...

As @Rainman quoted:
They have NEVER been on the CANBUS,... ever,... since 2010.
For S1000R/RR "bikes" up to at least 2018, the low beam and high beam headlight bulbs are not currently on CANBUS, nor do they have any hot or cold cycle bulb checking.

The front parking light and taillight are on CANBUS and will throw a LAMPF (front parking light defective), LAMPR (taillight defective) and LAMPS (both parking lights defective) warning. Which can be coded out in SETUP MENU -> SETUP EQUIPMENT -> WARN LAMP -> OFF. But parking lights and taillights weren't the thread topic.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Here is a link to the dust covers that I installed. So far so good. Still running the LEDS with no side effects.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QNQ5H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm also running those covers, although I had to put a zip tie on the right side because it kept falling off, now I have no issues.

One day in STUPID heat stuck in bumper to bumper i was noticing my LED's flicker every so often. Once the bike cooled down they were fine and I've never seen the issue again. LOVE the better vis at night with the LED and rarely need my highbeam anymore. Simple plug and play of the bulbs that I got off amazon. Chose the same bulbs 650ib put on one of the raffle bikes and didn't have to modify my rear covers at all. Glad I didn't have to go that route because I've been stuck in some serious rain a few times and wouldn't have wanted water in my headlight lens.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts