BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure many people have asked this... but is there a decent set of LED head lights that DO NOT require any form of cutting into the covers?

4 wheels move the body..2 wheels move the soul

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went this route and purchased a set of dust covers on amazon for about $10 or so. They don't look factory but it's a better deal than having your headlights exposed to water and debris. The look is a lot better than the factory halogen bulbs. But there is still light to be desired at night time.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just installed LED H7 bulbs in my XR and get the Lamp code. On top of it high beam comes on all the time. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I was reluctant to cut into or change the dustcover because I've seen a fair number of RR/XR with moisture in the headlights. So, I went with a RR/R specific Clearwater Darla auxiliary kit instead. Not the best looking option, but I commute to and from work in the dark, depending on the time of year and these things Put. Out. Some. Light! 2,000 lumen low, 4,000 lumen high. When I don't need them, they detach easily half way down the fork. I had these installed at the dealership and it looks "factory". Pretty involved to do it right and hide all the wiring. Low beam setting can be adjusted on the fly with a dimmer attached to clutch bracket. Flip on Hi-Beam and you get all the juice automatically. Shut the bike off and they stay on with the tail light to give you a little lighting. Nice touch. I like the low mount of the lights. Gives solid field of light to see debris, road kill and eyes. Pricey, but worth every penny to ensure some safety.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
Some LED bulbs are plug and play. Don't need to cut anything. That said, these reflectors are not designed for LED or HID. That "brighter" effect is really scattered light. Right in front of someone with HID and you'll see what I mean. I can actually get annoying.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm actually about to start 3D printing new covers for the RR that will properly house a decent LED unit. Can't stand the OE lights in the mountains at night.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
That said, these reflectors are not designed for LED or HID.
You can possibly get away with close to designed spread/coverage if you are persistent enough to locate some LED bulbs with the LEDs at the same height and position as the halogen H7's filament.

Trouble is to find such a beast is the challenge.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I'm actually about to start 3D printing new covers for the RR that will properly house a decent LED unit. Can't stand the OE lights in the mountains at night.
When you manage do successfully accomplish this, I'd be willing to buy a set and pay for shipping to Canada depending on pricing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Same Headache

I'm starting to get tired of having to replace these high intensity xenon bulbs. they are the sylvania ultra bright whites. Even sylvania tells you they may not last more than a year. just finished washing the bike yesterday to see that my main drive light is out. ugh.... just last year I replaced the left side.

I'm looking for some LEDS that will last longer.

I'm gonna look around and see if there are replacements that will fit under the dust cover. Hey KURT what was the name of those dust covers you got?

·
Registered
39 Posts
These https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292964704387.

Recently my low beam bulb went (and took the fuse with it!) so it was time to figure out replacement options. Choices were high output halogen, HID, LED. The first one is a known quantity, but expensive. HIDs I've had before on another bike. Massive light output but the beam scatter pisses off oncoming drivers and I didn't want to muck around finding somewhere to mount the ballast. And then there's the problem of getting the connection under the dust caps. LEDs... well, up to now as others have mentioned these came with massive fans or folding copper fins or all manner of other heat dispersal things that simply won't fit under the OEM dust covers. These though... completely identical form factor to standard Halogen H7 lamps. The story with these apparently is the metal lamp body itself is the heat sink... read their claims in the eBay ad.

Pics attached of before and after (well, "before" is the LED replacement in the low beam vs. OEM halogen in the high beam), what it looks like in my fingers as a guide, and the lamp mounted from the front and back of the housing. Let's see if you can tell which is before and after ;-)

The lamp part rotates within the mounting plate so you can spin it one way or another once it's mounted to get a good pattern. There are 3 LED chips on either side of the lamp so it's a pretty good approximation of a halogen filament, and the placement of the chips vs. the filament in a halogen lamp (in terms of distance out from the plate) is spot on. The orientation in the photo below seems to look OK. I'll put a pic of the beam pattern in another post below because I've used up my 5 pic allocation for this one.

And yeah, the price... If they fail after 5 minutes, oh well. It was a pretty cheap experiment and I'll just get a set of halogens :)

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
2 more photos: The box it came in (that's TXVS 'O' 8, not zero) and the low + high beam pattern on the inside of my garage. I put the good halogen high beam lamp into the low beam side before I switched in the LEDs and the beam from that was right in the middle of that bit of cardboard I've put there. So pattern looks OK in the absence of actually riding it at night. We'll see how it looks once I get a chance to do that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Those look pretty sweet and you could likely carry a spare in case one fails. Nice that the factory dust cover fits right over it. I’m actually going to see if I can get something similar in North America. Can’t imagine what shipping would cost!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I went for the first actual ride today since I put these in. Sad but true, nearly 3 weeks since the bike rolled out of the garage... but that's another story. Just to work too, 20km commute each way, nothing exciting. Left nice and early in the dark to check out the performance, and... whoa! These babies throw out heaps of light! As good as HIDs I reckon but without the scatter. And best of all, they didn't blow up, the bike didn't explode, and nothing melted or suffered some other sort of catastrophic failure that I can see. Win :) Well, so far, anyway...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Normally you cannot get good light output from LED without the added ballast. I have LED swaps on most of my cars and you can get a decent kit for under $50, but it's going to have a little ballast (similar to HIDs) in order to get the power output up. You can buy the BMW ones that have built-in CANBUS support also to avoid throwing codes. I code out the errors on my BMW cars, so I would assume you can do the same on the bike, then you wouldn't need to buy the canbus version of the LEDs. There are several LED bulbs that have passive heatsinks on the backs of them.

Once I get some time and money I will try to test out a few options and get back with everyone.

-Sam

1 - 20 of 35 Posts