BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2017 S1000RR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day gents,

I am posting this thread seeking your precessional thoughts and opinions.
I am planning on upgrading my halogen light bulbs with LED bulbs in my ‘17 s1krr. There is so many options out there and I am not sure what to choose from at first. Eventually I decided to go with Philips bulbs (unless someone knows a better brand name that I missed) I want to stick with the OEM look as much as I could. Most of the ones I found were with relays and my concern here is, do I really need a relay (adapter/LED ballast) to install them and have them function properly the way I want? What I am aiming for is to eliminate the flick of the low beam when flashing with the high beam. Do I need a relay to eliminate this issue, or it just really depends on the quality of the bulb itself? Or the harness setup of the bike? If I don’t need the adapter then it’s just a matter of right choice with extended headlight rear cover to cover the bulb instead of having the bulb exposed to water and stuff

let’s say I ended up having to get the ones with adapters, can I install the adapters if they’re thin enough inside the headlight hidden somewhere?

Any help would be very appreciated guys

many thanks

Attachments

· Registered
607 Posts
I used these on my Tuono. Advertised as 50% brighter, I'd say it is about right. Consumption is lower (16 watt) so no concerns of running hi+lo (the Aprilia has three bulbs) and heated gear. Completely plug and play on the Tuono.

· Banned
3,422 Posts
I used these on my Tuono. Advertised as 50% brighter, I'd say it is about right. Consumption is lower (16 watt) so no concerns of running hi+lo (the Aprilia has three bulbs) and heated gear. Completely plug and play on the Tuono.

Interesting. Do these allow the stock rubber waterproof boots to be used? That's been my "nope" point on all the others. It LOOKS like you can't but...

· Registered
2017 S1000RR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Great to hear, I assume you are referring to the one in the second picture right? Without the ballast. That’s what I honestly was thinking they would be since the adapter match the female adapter on the bike. What I was referring to by low-high beam flick is the dead time when flashing the high beam while low is on. In my previous bike I had this issue where the low beam flicks for split of a second just like it’s turned off for split second and back on again. I hope what I’m explaining makes sense as this is what I am absolutely trying to avoid.

· Registered
276 Posts
Phillips makes high quality bulbs, except those caps from an Italian seller off Ebay r too small to fit with the LED bulb fan. I ordered them, great quality, but just apittle deeper then OEM caps and I couldnt use them. I got 70mm rubber caps off Amazon for $10. Use them as cover, worked flawless for 10K miles

· Registered
2017 S1000RR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phillips makes high quality bulbs, except those caps from an Italian seller off Ebay r too small to fit with the LED bulb fan. I ordered them, great quality, but just apittle deeper then OEM caps and I couldnt use them. I got 70mm rubber caps off Amazon for $10. Use them as cover, worked flawless for 10K miles
Yeah man. I think Philips should be good. The cover caps I found on eBay are actually built from scratch by a guy in Russia using 3D printer. He did not specify the the depth of the cover. He only stated that you have to use the OEM dust seal with the covers. I posted the link below. Check it out and see what you might think of it. Also, I would really appreciate it if you can share the link for what you have purchased.

New Headlight Dust Seal Cover Cap For LED Lamps BMW S1000RR S1000R HP4 K46 K47 | eBay

· Registered
276 Posts
Yeah man. I think Philips should be good. The cover caps I found on eBay are actually built from scratch by a guy in Russia using 3D printer. He did not specify the the depth of the cover. He only stated that you have to use the OEM dust seal with the covers. I posted the link below. Check it out and see what you might think of it. Also, I would really appreciate it if you can share the link for what you have purchased.

the ones I brought from Italy looked identical made on a 3D printer. They dont fit any LED bulbs with a fan on the back, because they make em to be within mm of the forks, otherwise they hit the right fork at full turn.
Rubber ones touch the fork aswell, but r soft so no bid deal. They r tight enough, to be waterproof
New Headlight Dust Seal Cover Cap For LED Lamps BMW S1000RR S1000R HP4 K46 K47 | eBay

· Premium Member
2017 S1000RR
252 Posts
Watching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.