BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max I've hit so far was 30deg; I'm hearing that you can go 50-60deg. I'm not trying to blaze up the local streets but can't you get mad lean at slower speeds too?

Are there benefits to more lean angle vs hanging off with less lean? I'm currently thinking less lean = more contact = more traction.

Thanks for the insight,

J

·
Registered
115 Posts
Max I've hit so far was 30deg; I'm hearing that you can go 50-60deg. I'm not trying to blaze up the local streets but can't you get mad lean at slower speeds too?

Are there benefits to more lean angle vs hanging off with less lean? I'm currently thinking less lean = more contact = more traction.

Thanks for the insight,

J
30 degrees is weak man
but thats good u ride safe :smile2:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I hit 50 plus on the street without even pushing too hard. Just a matter of dialing in good technique on the track and your safe zone in the street will expand.

·
4,665 Posts
Hanging off with less lean is safer, more grip.

On the street I get to 51. I don't try to lean on the street much. At the track my max was 59.

But 30? Is that on a Grom? :grin2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
46deg is my max and that's on some hair pins at fairly low speeds. I don't feel comfortable going any further right now. Will probably change after the first two lvls of CSS though.

·
Registered
535 Posts
lets all lineup and see who can pi$$ further.

knee down on the street = Squid.

the street is not a track, it is not safe to knee down.

heres my pi$$ record, 54%. I saw it once usually try and keep my knee away from the ground on the street. I also try and keep the edges of the tyres away from touching, its to slippery on public roads and just stupid and dangerous to drag your knee and try and get super low.

Like benny says, he is faster than those who drag a knee. so was Mick Doohan, who if you ever get the chance like I have many times to actually have a conversation with a real man like he, and you get onto this topic he will straight out tell you with those crazy eyes burning right through you like lasers that you are an idiot if you think dragging a knee on public roads makes you any faster.

I am also faster on public roads than those who drag to impress.

Lets do this pissing context, photos will only count, so my 54 doesn't count right yet. but then again who bloody cares.

we are but children with a childs understanding in the face of God.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I know everyone has their opinion and it's been beat to death on many a forum. But I still don't understand how two guys going the same speed around a turn.. One guy hanging off the bike dragging knee, in other words using proper body position, is considered by some to be more dangerous or squidish than staying on top of the bike and using more bike lean angle. I always try to user proper form so I end up dragging knee all over the damn place. If that makes me a squid then there ya have it! It's a whole lot more exercise then sitting on top of the bike too. Y'all r just lazy!>:)

Reactions: Colers

·
Registered
862 Posts
Now if Kim Kardashian was riding a sport bike, all she would need to reduce lean angle would be a single cheek hanging off.

·
Administrator
6,767 Posts
Knee down is correct body position. Minimise lean angle and maximise tyre contact patch. We all know that. But on the street that does not always translate into being fast. Just going knee down doesn't have anything to do with speed is all I was getting at. The old gp riding style was almost twisted. Top half over the tank and legs and hips out. Really twisted. Now its all about top half off with elbow down. I just like to say to all the people who can't knee down or think its cool. It is correct form but its not always fast.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The only time I guess my lean angle on the streets is after an 'oh ****' moment that forces me to go further than normal. Usually, the higher the 'oh ****' on the meter, the more the lean. If you really want to work on your lean angle, go to the track. Until I did, I never got it- and I'm not talking about the ability to lean the bike. One track session teaches you more than money can buy about your bike, yourself, and of course- riding.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Thanks for the insight,

J
One more thing..."Total Control" by Lee Parks. Great reading and re-reading.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts