BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, I just got my dealer to open a case with BMW for my knocking sound in the front suspension. Guess I will re-instate the insurance on my 2009 CBR1000RR while the Germans try to figure out why a $20K bike sounds like an old Yugo with 200,000miles on it when going over bumps. but hey, I guess I should have known that a BMW can't make more than 1200miles before it needs major parts replaced. :mad:

My CBR has 35,000miles on it and even the valve adjustment is still perfect. ohh and the bike was $9,000 brand new.

I guess I am now officially a true BMW driver or Pedestrian as it were. :unsure:

FYI, my bike is a 9/2020 production date

·
Registered
765 Posts
So, I just got my dealer to open a case with BMW for my knocking sound in the front suspension. Guess I will re-instate the insurance on my 2009 CBR1000RR while the Germans try to figure out why a $20K bike sounds like an old Yugo with 200,000miles on it when going over bumps. but hey, I guess I should have known that a BMW can't make more than 1200miles before it needs major parts replaced. :mad:

My CBR has 35,000miles on it and even the valve adjustment is still perfect. ohh and the bike was $9,000 brand new.

I guess I am now officially a true BMW driver or Pedestrian as it were. :unsure:

FYI, my bike is a 9/2020 production date
So it was fine for many miles and then started knocking?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Many miles is an overstatement. It was fine for about the first 700 miles or so. Then it slowly started to get more noticeable.
Wow - that's very frustrating. I get the impression that other clunking problems appeared right away. I hope they get replacement parts for you quickly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow - that's very frustrating. I get the impression that other clunking problems appeared right away. I hope they get replacement parts for you quickly.
We will see, so far I am just glad that the dealership decided to help. After I first dropped the bike off, I received a call telling me that they can not reproduce the noise. I asked them to re-check it as it was very obvious when bouncing the front end with the bike stationary (also obvious when it runs, but a bit masked by the engine sound). So right now they are working with BMW to see what they want to do. Hope to get an answer before end of the week. I dropped the bike off on Sunday and I would be very surprised if I get it back the first week of June.

That's why I re-instated the insurance of my old bike. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got confirmation of my BMW dealer that the replacements parts for the left fork have been delivered. They just wait for a special gasket. They will dismount the left fork to have better acces to the DDC valve underneath. It would be a 3 hours job.
My S1000 RR M-version is a brand new one since Apr 21 with 1500km on it. It also started around 600-700 km and it was getting worse. How euphoric I was in the beginning, the more depressed I became the last weeks. Anyway my problem will be solved soon and hopefully for the other too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got confirmation of my BMW dealer that the replacements parts for the left fork have been delivered. They just wait for a special gasket. They will dismount the left fork to have better acces to the DDC valve underneath. It would be a 3 hours job.
My S1000 RR M-version is a brand new one since Apr 21 with 1500km on it. It also started around 600-700 km and it was getting worse. How euphoric I was in the beginning, the more depressed I became the last weeks. Anyway my problem will be solved soon and hopefully for the other too.
Dealer checked mine today and then 4 others in the shop and they all do it.
They said it doesnt seem like much concern :rolleyes:
Good to know that. However really eager to see results. Do they say how to fix it

SM-N975F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

I have the same information. Dealer told me that the replacement part which is a some part in left fork will be delivered end of may. Hope this will solve the problem completely. I have January production s1000rr m sport. And it started after 200km. It is really annoying. Keep you updated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Dealer just called me tonight. BMW Germany approved the replacement of the DDC valve in the left fork. Unfortunately the parts are not available in the US so they need to be ordered from Germany. It will take about 2 to 3 weeks to get them. They also discovered that the water pump is leaking from the weep hole on the rear side of the oil pan (guess the weep hole is there :unsure:) . So that will need to be replaced as well. Everything is covered under warranty, but i will not get my bike back for a few weeks. 😢

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last week, my left front suspension was serviced, i.e. replacement of the DDC valve under warranty to fix the problem of rattling and noise when hitting small bumps. I was pleased and happy it was fix.....but after 100 km, the same issue,...unbelievable and frustrating.
I called the BMW dealer again. They will contact BMW Germany...

·
Registered
100 Posts
.....but after 100 km, the same issue,...unbelievable and frustrating.
I called the BMW dealer again. They will contact BMW Germany...
mine does this.. but this is exactly why i have yet to push the issue with the dealer... so far as I have seen almost everyone that gets the "fix" later ends up with the same issue again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
25days later and my bike I still sitting at the dealership. I am about to call again and see if they made any progress. I have to admit, I am less than impressed with the so called BMW experience so far. :mad: If I wanted to not ride a bike, I could do that a lot cheaper by not buying a BMW.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Guess I will re-instate the insurance on my 2009 CBR1000RR while the Germans try to figure out why a $20K bike sounds like an old Yugo with 200,000miles on it when going over bumps.
The 2009 CBR is ugly as hell - and slow. I'll pass, thanks

I wanted to buy my bike without DDC but BMW makes that near impossible if you want forged wheels. Sadly, Marzocchi suspension has been know to have many QC issues, similar issues occurred on Ducatis. Showa is the best mid priced suspension

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 2009 CBR is ugly as hell - and slow. I'll pass, thanks
Yes, the CBR is 12 years older and not as powerful as a brand new BMW (also much, much cheaper). But that's only true if the BMW isn't broken down at the dealership. so far I am on 1 month of riding an 1 month of it sitting at the dealership. Not exactly what I would call an "Ultimate driving machine".

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yes, the CBR is 12 years older and not as powerful as a brand new BMW (also much, much cheaper). But that's only true if the BMW isn't broken down at the dealership. so far I am on 1 month of riding an 1 month of it sitting at the dealership. Not exactly what I would call an "Ultimate driving machine".
You were a lucky CBR owner as most of those bikes were burning oil from bad piston rings! That went on for many years too.Thats why they sold so cheap, as I got a brand new 2008 for $7500. Guess what, It burned oil and had to have the engine torn apart with 2000 miles on it to replace the rings! I was actually lucky because Honda turned away most people saying it was normal! Honda pissed off a lot of people who would never go back to Honda myself included.

·
Registered
379 Posts
In terms of most reliable engines Honda is up there, though.

Kawasaki and Suzuki are also good, there is a reason so many people drag race those bikes. I've owned several ZX-10s, never had a problem. My Ultra300X ski is 10 years old and still does 70 mph on the lake, no issues

Remember the BMW boxer twins in the 70s that went 300k miles?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I assume it may be a combination of good luck with Honda and bad luck with BMW. I own a 1999 CBR600F4, two 2009 CBR1000RAs and a 2018 CBR1000RR ABS. Each of those bikes have between 25 & 35K miles on them (2018 has only around 10K). None of them had one major issue.

Compared to my Aliexpress special edition BMW S1000RR, which will now be at the dealership for at least 6-7 weeks, as they need to order more parts from Germany for the water pump. The front shock still has not arrived.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to know that. However really eager to see results. Do they say how to fix it

I have the same information. Dealer told me that the replacement part which is a some part in left fork will be delivered end of may. Hope this will solve the problem completely. I have January production s1000rr m sport. And it started after 200km. It is really annoying. Keep you updated.

Update

I have just received my s1000rr. They told me that they changed the part in left fork. Also told me that this part is upgraded part. Previous versions making same problems. It is all good for the moment.

Keep you posted

61 - 79 of 79 Posts