BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My journey so far with the new rr has been very interesting. The bike bumped and rattled in the front end while riding since new. I mentioned it to the dealer when I took it in for the 600 mile service the tech looked it over and varified my problem.

They ordered a new left fork assembly. New assembly was installed and the tech and I noticed it knocked just as bad as the old one. The tech put in a request to bmw's engineers to advise him how to repair this problem.

That was a month ago bmw's engineers did not respond to the techs request.

I called bmw north America to speak to someone regarding my knocking front suspension. Spoke to a supervisor and stated my issue. After a couple days I got a response.

The supervisor said that bmw's engineers determined that our knocking front suspension is "characteristically normal" based on other 2020 s1000rr making the same noise.

My question is when the hell is it normal for front suspension's to knock, bump or rattle while going over bumps?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Obviously it's not normal, as the majority of 2020 bikes don't have the front fork knock.

Manufactures use the term "characteristically normal" when they can't solve a problem, but doesn't impede the performance.
When the fork manufacture finds a fix, the forks will be replaced no questions asked. However just ask for another set of forks given not all forks knock, surely they will eventually find a front left fork that doesn't knock!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously it's not normal, as the majority of 2020 bikes don't have the front fork knock.

Manufactures use the term "characteristically normal" when they can't solve a problem, but doesn't impede the performance.
When the fork manufacture finds a fix, the forks will be replaced no questions asked. However just ask for another set of forks given not all forks knock, surely they will eventually find a front left fork that doesn't knock!
Solid advice, thank you I will definitely ask for another set of forks.

Thank you for clarifying the term characteristically normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My front forks is now under investigation by bmw dealer. Let's see what they say. In no way I do not accept clunking front fork back!
Keep us updated please.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I finally got a final decision on a matter that affects many bikes S1000RR 2020
a problem that has been addressed for months now
Very strong clunking noise comes allways when press even lightly front end down.
The sound is especially loud when driving over speed bumps, even if you have earplugs the sound is loud.
Even if you walks the bike over the garage doorstep it clunks very loud.
The problem has increased all the time and now on the race track front suspension has lost its damping capacity pretty much and the front tire wears out quickly. Bike have now driven 1200miles/ 2000km

Clunking videos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=141gpvbtwUNYy8i4zHZTl6GHmL2tipfv7
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14-n9DNocnzZMcdAZNNvNYC0pMTf1t_lm/view?usp=sharing

My Bmw dealer told me finally answer that BMW factory replied that clunking noise is feature and does not affect driving. Therefore it is not a matter of warranty!!?? If the customer wants to get the sound off, they have to buy new full enclosed electric damping unit inside left fork tube for themselves .
Early production bikes have manufacturing tolerances which cause the problem. The issue will be corrected in the future production.
The noise comes from the bottom valve of the closed Cartridge (left fork).
At the change from pressure stage to rebound stage the Checkvalve-Shim compresses the spring and the nut gets in contact with the shim packet.

What do you think about that case? Has anyone received any help on this yet??
Other warranty issues like clutch, oil cooler, cold start, broken shark fin are taken care of to my bike allready.
Otherwise I like the bike and it's good and fast. But the bug has gone so bad that I can no longer imagine driving like this. The unit cannot be disassembled and serviced and I will not pay for the new one myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would not accept that as the final answer. That knocking is likely leading to worn metal fakes inside the oil passages.

My thought is try another dealer. Maybe they can figure out a way to indicate to corporate BMW there is an issue. The things you mention already fixed have a PUMA report. Once the PUMA is issued then there is a solution. Right now there is no solution except make the customer happy and replace the left fork tube.

·
Vendor
2,705 Posts
I finally got a final decision on a matter that affects many bikes S1000RR 2020
a problem that has been addressed for months now
Very strong clunking noise comes allways when press even lightly front end down.
The sound is especially loud when driving over speed bumps, even if you have earplugs the sound is loud.
Even if you walks the bike over the garage doorstep it clunks very loud.
The problem has increased all the time and now on the race track front suspension has lost its damping capacity pretty much and the front tire wears out quickly. Bike have now driven 1200miles/ 2000km

Clunking videos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=141gpvbtwUNYy8i4zHZTl6GHmL2tipfv7
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14-n9DNocnzZMcdAZNNvNYC0pMTf1t_lm/view?usp=sharing

My Bmw dealer told me finally answer that BMW factory replied that clunking noise is feature and does not affect driving. Therefore it is not a matter of warranty!!?? If the customer wants to get the sound off, they have to buy new full enclosed electric damping unit inside left fork tube for themselves .
Early production bikes have manufacturing tolerances which cause the problem. The issue will be corrected in the future production.
The noise comes from the bottom valve of the closed Cartridge (left fork).
At the change from pressure stage to rebound stage the Checkvalve-Shim compresses the spring and the nut gets in contact with the shim packet.

What do you think about that case? Has anyone received any help on this yet??
Other warranty issues like clutch, oil cooler, cold start, broken shark fin are taken care of to my bike allready.
Otherwise I like the bike and it's good and fast. But the bug has gone so bad that I can no longer imagine driving like this. The unit cannot be disassembled and serviced and I will not pay for the new one myself.

That is messed up for sure. I would take the thing apart and fix it myself if the dealer rejected my claim at least twice. I have been around 5 K67's here in DFW and not a one has this clunk issue in the forks. All of them were made April 2019 batch release.

I looked up just the internal damper price. It is over $700, the whole DDC fork is about $1400.

Like someone has always said, try another dealer that can figure out how to swing the bat different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is messed up for sure. I would take the thing apart and fix it myself if the dealer rejected my claim at least twice. I have been around 5 K67's here in DFW and not a one has this clunk issue in the forks. All of them were made April 2019 batch release.

I looked up just the internal damper price. It is over $700, the whole DDC fork is about $1400.

Like someone has always said, try another dealer that can figure out how to swing the bat different.
Thanks! My BMW Dealer says that Marzocchi does not give any information or service information about the closed DDC unit.
Not even what oil is there..
The date of manufacture of the bike is end of june

·
Vendor
2,705 Posts
Thanks! My BMW Dealer says that Marzocchi does not give any information or service information about the closed DDC unit.
Not even what oil is there..
The date of manufacture of the bike is end of june
The replacement oil for the forks from BMW is

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I hear response like this from a manufacturer, it makes me not want to be associated with their brand. This noise should not be normal, and i would definitely escalate the case until you get a right fork that doesn't make noise. If anything, file for a lemon case and make bmw buy that bike back if they refuse to warranty the work.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My journey so far with the new rr has been very interesting. The bike bumped and rattled in the front end while riding since new. I mentioned it to the dealer when I took it in for the 600 mile service the tech looked it over and varified my problem.

They ordered a new left fork assembly. New assembly was installed and the tech and I noticed it knocked just as bad as the old one. The tech put in a request to bmw's engineers to advise him how to repair this problem.

That was a month ago bmw's engineers did not respond to the techs request.

I called bmw north America to speak to someone regarding my knocking front suspension. Spoke to a supervisor and stated my issue. After a couple days I got a response.

The supervisor said that bmw's engineers determined that our knocking front suspension is "characteristically normal" based on other 2020 s1000rr making the same noise.

My question is when the hell is it normal for front suspension's to knock, bump or rattle while going over bumps?

Thankyou for the posting those videos! I will definitely be trying to see if the bike makes that noise first thing before handing over any money to the dealer when I get mine. I’m sorry to hear that the forks are messed up. It sounds horrible! Can’t believe bmw would let a bike go to a dealer like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,705 Posts
my may build definitely clunks and so does every other US delivered bike I've seen which is 7 so far
I am not sure why there are so many K67 with the issue around you vs the 5 around me that do not have the issue. I have 2 here now. Both are April builds, and the VIN are only 15 bikes apart.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I am not sure why there are so many K67 with the issue around you vs the 5 around me that do not have the issue. I have 2 here now. Both are April builds, and the VIN are only 15 bikes apart.
No idea. The dealership near me has had 4 bikes so far and another 3 at another dealer. They all do it. Turn the key on and compress the forks, the bike doesn't even have to be moving and the left fork goes clunk. I don't think it hurts the bike in any way it just feels weird through the bars at 2 mph.

·
Administrator
6,970 Posts
My personal bike doesn't do it. I have ridden 2 that I noticed a clunk in. But it was at extremely low car park speeds going over a bumpy road. At speed it never showed up. Haven't had any complaints from anyone yet.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Correct, it doesn't show up at speeds over >20 mph. It's just a very odd thing that it probably shouldn't do for a premium bike with premium suspension.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts