BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way you can wire a kill switch in to kill the headlights and tail lights while the bike is running?

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
The headlights are fused in the rear of the bike, so I'm sure you can put a switch somewhere.

The tail light, turnsignal, and "parking lights" are not. They are controlled or at least monitored by the ECU - they're CANBUS devices. I don't think you can control them with just a simple switch. You'd mess up their signal to the ECU.

What are you thinking? Track days? Or sneaking home after staying out too late? I'm guessing running from the cops is what you are looking for. Bad idea if so.

For track junkies here is the cure.

Pull the fuses for the headlights. That's easy.

For the taillight/stoplight there is a connector right under the rear cross-member of the tail. Crappy location, but not that hard to disconnect once you know how it works.

Rear turnsignals also have a connector in the tail that lead down and out the right. Unplug it or even remove the entire assembly with the three screws. Also easy.

Front turnsignals take some work to remove, and even worse are the parking lights. Just tape 'em up. :D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We've got a runner! Lol my buddy has the same on his r1, kills the front and rear individually or simultaneously. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I will be visiting my dealer soon to ask them to remove the fault checking on the ECU for the lights. So that if I fit the race fairings for tracdays then I will not be getting the error codes.

I will tel them I will put their brand name on the bike if they do it for me...:D:D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just asked my dealer to do it whilst it was having it's first service.I have just removed the lights-guess what?
Still shows the fault light!
Probably why Alpha Racing sell the plug blanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just asked my dealer to do it whilst it was having it's first service.I have just removed the lights-guess what?
Still shows the fault light!
Probably why Alpha Racing sell the plug blanks.
As far as I know, they would be able to do it for you. But they don't like doing it because of the warinty. Are you sure they DID deactivate it? I know it sound funny, but sometimes the dealers them selfs don't know how to deactivate things on the ECU's that they don't normaly do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did anyone come up with a good solution for this? I would like to be able to shut my headlights off while in motion and not have to worry about pulling a fuse or unplugging them.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I'd be careful with that.

Around me police have been known to ram bikes.

If you have no back lights it's a easy excuse

"Sur I didn't know he was braking"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't do it, I have a buddy cough who ruins regularly and cough they never caught him but still got a warrant without even proving it was him after they found out we which house the bike was kept at

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't do it, I have a buddy cough who ruins regularly and cough they never caught him but still got a warrant without even proving it was him after they found out we which house the bike was kept at
Man all this causing you would think I have corona

1 - 15 of 15 Posts