BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What do you use, paxman? For the record, other than this one-time kerosene trial, I've used Motul chain cleaner. It works, though not cheaply compared to kerosene.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OP, there are two types of Kerosene's and they are distinguished by sulfur content. It sounds like you used type two which is specific for burning in heaters and lamps used outdoors. You want to use type 1 with the lower sulfur content. You can by Sunnyside K1 at Walmart for about $12 a gallon. I personally use WD-40 to clean my chains with a grunge brush. Motul and Honda chain lube afterwards. I think most folks overthink this **** really.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OP, there are two types of Kerosene's and they are distinguished by sulfur content. It sounds like you used type two which is specific for burning in heaters and lamps used outdoors. You want to use type 1 with the lower sulfur content. You can by Sunnyside K1 at Walmart for about $12 a gallon. I personally use WD-40 to clean my chains with a grunge brush. Motul and Honda chain lube afterwards. I think most folks overthink this **** really.
I used this: Amazon.com : Coleman 32 Oz. Kerosene : Lamp Oil : Sports & Outdoors

It's plain kerosene. Sounds like there's a low-odor option (wish I'd known that). Anyway, I won't be using that stuff again. Hope it didn't hurt my o-rings...

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got rid of the kerosene. It may work, but the toxic fallout isn't worth it. Went back to Motul chain cleaner and tried something different. Instead of spraying the entire chain as I spun the rear wheel, then brushing after it dried for a minute or two, I used liberal amounts on a section of chain (until it was dripping), then used a soft-bristle toothbrush to brush the chain, followed by wiping down with a microfiber cloth. Took a little longer, because I could only do a one foot section at a time, but when I was done the chain gleamed like a jewel. I let the chain sit for a half hour to completely dry, then used Motul chain lube. Best the chain ever looked, and no residual smell. Only took a run-in with kerosene to change my perspective enough to try this method.

I figure a can of Motul chain clean, using this method, to be good for maybe 5 cleanings. Works out to about $2 a cleaning. Worth it.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just to stoke the fire a bit:D??

And because the Motul smells nice there is no toxic fallout!!
OK, you got me there. Sure, Motul has toxic ingredients. But when I use it (and I have for the last 7 years, with the exception of the one use of kerosene), not only does the smell not permeate my bike, garage and clothing, but my eyes don't water, either. And that last one is a good "tell" for the presence of highly toxic fumes.

But, yeah...chemicals are toxic. I wear a mask regardless, but with the kerosene it didn't help a bit.

Score a point for you, but I still won't be using kerosene again. o_O

21 - 30 of 30 Posts