BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had a steering damper on any motorcycle before. The only one that probably needed it was my 2000 Yamaha R1, but I got used to the tank slappers and knew when to expect them and how to react, so I never installed one.

On my 2021 K67, I set it to max soft and left it alone as it made it easier to move the bike in the garage.

I now have 1300 miles on the bike and even though I never experienced any tank slappers, it gets hairy at high speeds and high revs in lower gears. Especially 3rd gear after 10k rpms.

So I guess my question is how do you use them? Do you set it half way in the range or full stiff or what?

I just changed my to half way and even though its a pain at low speeds I could feel the difference on the highway doing a few pulls where the pavement is not perfect.

·
Registered
2021 M + Carbon Package
884 Posts
It dampens the movement of steering - making steering more stable.

Recommend moving it back to the highway setting, p. 98 in the manual.

Righty Tighty (Clockwise) back to full close (A), then Lefty Loosey (Counter Clockwise) for 8 clicks out (B).

Product Font Screenshot Circle Electric blue

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feel like steering dampeners are much more personal preference based, setup-wise, than suspension in general. My rule of thumb is that it should be just tight enough to control headshake over bumps and corner and exits under hard throttle.

·
Vendor
4,537 Posts
I feel like steering dampeners are much more personal preference based, setup-wise, than suspension in general. My rule of thumb is that it should be just tight enough to control headshake over bumps and corner and exits under hard throttle.
This is an excellent remark/suggestion quoted.

The lightest / softest would never work on the streets, but it does feel good in parking lot maneuvers.

The heaviest / hardest setting would never work for street for most people, but, there are tracks where limited full left right turn transitions are, you might use this.

The middle of the settings then is personal and function. Move lighter until head shake, bump it back up. Saying that setting 10 works for everyone is not possible.

Reactions: r1pilot

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is an excellent remark/suggestion quoted.

The lightest / softest would never work on the streets, but it does feel good in parking lot maneuvers.

The heaviest / hardest setting would never work for street for most people, but, there are tracks where limited full left right turn transitions are, you might use this.

The middle of the settings then is personal and function. Move lighter until head shake, bump it back up. Saying that setting 10 works for everyone is not possible.
Makes sense as things like rider weight most likely impact this.

I’ll keep playing with it until it feels right. I just wish it would only dampen high speed movement and not slow ones like when you are at parking the bike.

·
Vendor
4,537 Posts
Suzuki tried electronic steering damping based on speed. The transition was 45MPH. It just did not work however. The damper was never right for a real rider above the 45MPH range. I removed the electronic damper and modified the 06-09 versions with a custom oil I put together and that worked great street and track ( for me ) .. The BMW damper is really good to me. I have never had good luck with the Ohlins dampers. 24-30 settings was great, but they always got air in them where I could hear it squish.

·
Registered
770 Posts
K67 has a pretty good dampener. I like mine pretty stiff. Again all personal preference. I can deal with moving the bars in the slow stuff. But I like knowing it’s gonna help in the o-$hit moments of hard riding and high rpm’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ask because when Honda first put out the electronic damper with their CBR1000RR, I rode with a guy that was squiding around. He did a stoppie/endo and proceeded to drop the bike. He blamed it on the electronic damper. While what he did is probably not what the Honda engineers would expect to engineer for, I have wondered if this guy was just full of $hit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts