BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone wants to know about a recall campaign for their bmw bike, you can visit the official BMW website. For example: BMW Group Australia Recalls
In my country (Portugal), I was able to verify that mine is covered by technical action # 0011460000 - replacement of the cylinder head - just by inserting the license plate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is going in but no notification and recall notice on BMW's website. Dealer found out when I brought in for an interval service. So, service will be done together with the replacement of the cylinder head. A 2 day turnaround is required but will be given a ride home and picked up from home to workshop the next day. Have had the bike for a year now as a daily commuter. Only issue to date is the replacement of the fork seals. Seems like the current bikes in the showroom still have the usual oil ring mark on the stanchion which I was told is a characteristic of the fork. BTW, saw the new 1250 RT in 719 trim. Love the large TFT but not a fan of the boxer.

·
Administrator
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Mines done about 8000kms and no issues. Still get the fork ring every time. But not leaking. R1250RT is a good thing. I was not a fan of the boxer and over all I still am not. But damn it's fast for what it is.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do the boxers still have the legendary reliability (as in 250k+ miles) they had in the 70s?

My first experience on a motorcycle was the back of dad's R90S

BMWR90S.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are three 'recalls' for my 2020 RR, cylinder head, front calipers, and the harness chafing sticker. My local dealer told me they don't even have the calipers in the country.

·
Registered
722 Posts
There are three 'recalls' for my 2020 RR, cylinder head, front calipers, and the harness chafing sticker. My local dealer told me they don't even have the calipers in the country.
That's frustrating. I need at least two of those recalls. Did your dealer happen to say if the cylinder head parts are in country? I'm hesitant to take mine in for fear they will keep it while waiting for parts for who knows how long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's frustrating. I need at least two of those recalls. Did your dealer happen to say if the cylinder head parts are in country? I'm hesitant to take mine in for fear they will keep it while waiting for parts for who knows how long.
Yes I believe they had the cylinder head at their location, Hasbrouck Heights, NJ.

That is exactly what they are doing with mine because of the calipers. I thinks it's been two weeks now, I didn't want to bother them too much but I will give them a call tomorrow and ask for an update. BMW really should have the part available if they are gonna do a recall, COVID is being used as an excuse for poor service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my case BMW costumer service said that the cylinders head take about 10 to 12 days too arrive to the dealer.

·
Registered
722 Posts
In my case BMW costumer service said that the cylinders head take about 10 to 12 days too arrive to the dealer.
Thank you. I guess I'll ask my dealer to let me know when the parts are in, and dodge them until then!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thank you. I guess I'll ask my dealer to let me know when the parts are in, and dodge them until then!
I don’t think it works that way but I may be wrong. Pretty sure the bike has to be there for them to order the parts. Let us know what they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don’t think it works that way but I may be wrong. Pretty sure the bike has to be there for them to order the parts. Let us know what they say
Thanks for the heads-up. I've got a track day shortly, so will probably bug them afterwards. Will report.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Received the cylinder head recall letter today...

The bike was in the shop for close to 4 weeks back in March/ April waiting on new calipers recall to be completed. Before that was the recall for chaffing, warranty work replacement of leaking Master cylinder, warranty work for leaking fork seals, and so on.

As of last week, I've got a lemon law case pending against BMW. I'm considering having BMW buy the bike back from me go with another brand, but part of me also just wants a brand new 2022 replacement unit since the K67 is literally the best bike I've ever ridden and I don't see anything else on the market I'd rather own that I haven't already. Before picking my K67 I owned 2 RSV4s (RR & RF) before that I had a '16 R1, and a '13 Panigale V2. Considering a Ducati V4 but I just don't I'd like it as much as I love riding the K67. My current bike has been in the shop for failures so many times I just don't have any faith in long-term ownership of this particular unit.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Received the cylinder head recall letter today...

The bike was in the shop for close to 4 weeks back in March/ April waiting on new calipers recall to be completed. Before that was the recall for chaffing, warranty work replacement of leaking Master cylinder, warranty work for leaking fork seals, and so on.

As of last week, I've got a lemon law case pending against BMW. I'm considering having BMW buy the bike back from me go with another brand, but part of me also just wants a brand new 2022 replacement unit since the K67 is literally the best bike I've ever ridden and I don't see anything else on the market I'd rather own that I haven't already. Before picking my K67 I owned 2 RSV4s (RR & RF) before that I had a '16 R1, and a '13 Panigale V2. Considering a Ducati V4 but I just don't I'd like it as much as I love riding the K67. My current bike has been in the shop for failures so many times I just don't have any faith in long-term ownership of this particular unit.
Buy Ducati mate

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ducati reliability is probably worse, might want to consider the new Aprilia RSV

My 1299 was a nightmare

·
8,227 Posts
I've scheduled a test ride on the V4 at my local dealer to see if it's a viable option for me
BMW is not going to easily buy back the bike. Pay for a 30min consult with a lemon law attorney. Get a letter saying that you plan to sue if you don't either get a 2021 K67 that does not have any recalls minus the difference of your current bike's value. Or BMW buys back the bike. Call BMW NA directly, don't bother even talking to your dealership unless you have an exceptional relationship with them. But given your bike was sitting this long, I would just go BMW NA route. This path worked for me with 16 s1k, BMW bought back the bike.

For mostly street K67 is king. For track Honda SP would be top choice unless you prefer Euro brands. Euro brands and reliability don't mix together. I'm all about a practical bike, don't care for brand loyalty.

New Aprilia is also pretty sweet, but lack of dealers & parts keep me away. Duc V4 has its quirks, would not be my first choice. Test them all, then decide. Also, 2021 R1 with race ECU is a good option if its ergos fit you (be sure it's a late 21 as R1 had some engine & electronics problems). Same with 2020+ GSXR & Kaw. I went with GSXR as it was the most balanced and reliable.

Triumph 765 moto2 LE is a hoot if you look past its looks. 25% off on 2020 models in US. Has decent Ohlins & Brembos. Factory ECU map. Engine is killer!

·
Registered
119 Posts
BMW is not going to easily buy back the bike. Pay for a 30min consult with a lemon law attorney. Get a letter saying that you plan to sue if you don't either get a 2021 K67 that does not have any recalls minus the difference of your current bike's value. Or BMW buys back the bike. Call BMW NA directly, don't bother even talking to your dealership unless you have an exceptional relationship with them. But given your bike was sitting this long, I would just go BMW NA route. This path worked for me with 16 s1k, BMW bought back the bike.

For mostly street K67 is king. For track Honda SP would be top choice unless you prefer Euro brands. Euro brands and reliability don't mix together. I'm all about a practical bike, don't care for brand loyalty.

New Aprilia is also pretty sweet, but lack of dealers & parts keep me away. Duc V4 has its quirks, would not be my first choice. Test them all, then decide. Also, 2021 R1 with race ECU is a good option if its ergos fit you (be sure it's a late 21 as R1 had some engine & electronics problems). Same with 2020+ GSXR & Kaw. I went with GSXR as it was the most balanced and reliable.

Triumph 765 moto2 LE is a hoot if you look past its looks. 25% off on 2020 models in US. Has decent Ohlins & Brembos. Factory ECU map. Engine is killer!
Thanks! I well versed when it comes to lemon law claims. The process is already in motion. My case is pretty compelling according to my lawyer. I've own 2 RSV4s both '17s and while both were bulletproof as far as reliability. I found them to be pigs dressed up in lipstick and wigs. Aprilia has basically been upgrading the same platform since 2009. The bikes are heavy as hell and very tiresome to ride fast on track. When I had my RSV4 my wad was always nearly blown by lunchtime. Don't really trust the current r1 platform after being burned by Yamaha and their crank design flaws with the R1. They say the 2021 model has settled the issues but I still have nightmares about my crank snapping on my '16.

Truthfully I'm leaning toward just having BMW replace it with another unit. The K67 is such a phenomenal bike I really don't want anything else although the new CBR RRR is intriguing I can't justify plunking down nearly 30k for a bike that doesn't even come with upgraded lightweight forge aluminum wheels (seriously WTF Honda).

·
8,227 Posts
Truthfully I'm leaning toward just having BMW replace it with another unit. The K67 is such a phenomenal bike I really don't want anything else although the new CBR RRR is intriguing I can't justify plunking down nearly 30k for a bike that doesn't even come with upgraded lightweight forge aluminum wheels (seriously WTF Honda).
Damn your R1 16 blew up? What was your process like with Yaman? My 16 R1 blew up, I had to rebuild out of pocket, $6500 loss on that bike. SBU rebuilt it poorly, bike was not never the same.

Honda SP can be had for $23k if you talk to a decent dealer & show up with cash. I agree Honda could have put steel lines & forged wheels. But susp, rest of bike is top quality. Engine is in its own class. For the track it's a weapon!

Good luck with your K67 case. Hopefully BMW does the right thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Damn your R1 16 blew up? What was your process like with Yaman? My 16 R1 blew up, I had to rebuild out of pocket, $6500 loss on that bike. SBU rebuilt it poorly, bike was not never the same.

Honda SP can be had for $23k if you talk to a decent dealer & show up with cash. I agree Honda could have put steel lines & forged wheels. But susp, rest of bike is top quality. Engine is in its own class. For the track it's a weapon!

Good luck with your K67 case. Hopefully BMW does the right thing.
OMG! I had Yamaha's extended warranty on the bike when the motor grenaded and they still gave me all kinds of grief about fixing it. They slow-rolled the process for months before they finally fixed it. Meanwhile, my 1.5-year-old bike sat outside in the elements for 8-10 hours almost everyday for nearly 3 months. When they finished the rebuild and called me to pick up I was furious about the dirt and weather beating the bike had endured in their care ( my bikes are garage kept and maintained in near showroom condition). In response, the tech produced a can of SC1 paint polish and sprayed down my dirt-covered sun-faded tank, and started wet sanding the tank. My wife had to restrain me from trying to drop-kick the guy. I had to threaten legal action against Yamaha USA in order to get them to replace all the weather-beaten body panels. Total nightmare that played out over about 6 months.

23k??? Where do you live? I'm guessing it's not SoCal? Dealers around my way are legendary for trying to put your pants on backward and let the dealer staff take turns gang-raping on the sales floor. Every time I buy a bike from the dealer I prep like I deploying to Afganistan again.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts