BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
If its logged against the vin it will show. If it doesn't show then its not affected. Not all recalls affect worldwide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any link we can get for the announcement? Can educate the dealer with that.

Does BMW spread the recalls gradually? Meaning, if my bike is supposed to be part of that list, will a search in the dealer software show the available/open recalls?
Yes a link will be handy

·
Registered
149 Posts
Called BMW NA about this and they confirmed there's a TSB on it, though not a recall. He does not see any more info about it and the dealership may know more. I was on hold for a bit when he went to check with his colleagues since he was confused as to why he was not able to pull it up all the details, as he would with the caliper. My production date is 01/20

·
Registered
33 Posts
BMW have released a recall for the cylinder head to be replaced. The titanium valve surface coating has been processed incorrectly which can cause premature wearing of the valve guides and lead to burning of oil. The solution is to replace the complete cylinder head. This affects bikes built before 18/5/2020. After 18/5/2020 bikes are not affected.

I know this affects units in AU. Not sure on the US or the rest of the world. If you do not receive a letter then don't worry. Otherwise get the dealer to run your vin and check.
My March 2020 build in Canada falls into this recall.

I only have 1500km

This on top of everything else I've dealt with.
I just had the intake shiftcam replaced because of the loud ticking sound everyone was telling me was normal, until bmw checked the cam wear.

I haven't even picked up the bike yet from the cam job, and now I need a new cylinder head.

There are other big bugs with this bike

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My March 2020 build in Canada falls into this recall.

I only have 1500km

This on top of everything else I've dealt with.
I just had the intake shiftcam replaced because of the loud ticking sound everyone was telling me was normal, until bmw checked the cam wear.

I haven't even picked up the bike yet from the cam job, and now I need a new cylinder head.

There are other big bugs with this bike
Well, the good news, is that with all the parts being replaced, it'll be basically a new bike when you get it back again! :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks benny . There is a plate on my steering head which reads 2/2020 no day of manufacture just month. I thought all BMW motorcycles where built in Germany (you tube video on ..Biggest motorcycle factory in the world ...how can i find where my bike was built?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I haven't seen details on which bikes are affected. Is it all prior to a build date, or just some? Is it determined by VIN (specific batches of bikes) or an inspection of some kind?

Does the fix involve just the head or also replacement of the full top end - valves, springs and cams?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks benny . There is a plate on my steering head which reads 2/2020 no day of manufacture just month. I thought all BMW motorcycles where built in Germany (you tube video on ..Biggest motorcycle factory in the world ...how can i find where my bike was built?
Type in your VIN to a decoder online and it will tell you.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Your bike was built in Munich like all the other in Feb/2020

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
They should just scrap the K67 model and go back to the drawing board. BMW f'd this one up real gooood
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm glad I didn't listen to everyone saying save my money and get the K67 when it comes out. My 2018 with over 40,000kms has only ever needed a water pump I discovered leaking while on a cross country trip. There hasn't been any recall letters in my mailbox informing me of a critical failure concern that now requires me to be inconvenienced while the bike is repaired and its rather routine on these k67 recalls for there to be parts shortages resulting in not only delayed resolution to the problem but a longer time you're potentially at risk of parts failure and having a paperweight in your garage.

I'm glad BMW finds these issues and stands behind the product but FFS someone needs to learn the 7 P's of success. Proper Pre Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. It feels like things were rushed to market on a bike that was already late to be released. Go back through the forum and read all the posts about delay after delay on the new bike and then all the recalls on the same bike.

Sure it looks nice, likely rides like a dream (have yet to ride one), but honestly as an owner how many recalls until you've had enough? Personally I always try to avoid buying the first year of anything and sometimes even the second year just so they iron out all the wrinkles. I hope all of you with these bikes are able to get your brake calipers and now heads replaced so you can somehow enjoy riding it without a nagging worry

"whats next?"

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
@SavageS1000RR I agree. But the thing is unbelievable to ride. I will put up with the issues. My 21 model has nothing wrong with it at all. It should not have this many issues for a bike that costs as much as they do. But its damn good thing. I'm also never going to buy a ducati or aprillia.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
@SavageS1000RR I agree. But the thing is unbelievable to ride. I will put up with the issues. My 21 model has nothing wrong with it at all. It should not have this many issues for a bike that costs as much as they do. But its damn good thing. I'm also never going to buy a ducati or aprillia.
Your 2021 should have all the wrinkles ironed out by now. Maybe one day I'll eventually be able to afford buying a used one.

Reactions: ZZZ
41 - 60 of 133 Posts